Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

swimmingfish
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Aug 2011, 4:21 pm

I'm not suicidal but I'm very very depressed and also see no way out in my 13 years of marriage.
No doubt that he loves me and we both agreed that he might be AS (undiagnosed).
But this piece of information doesn’t provide any well-needed comfort for me.
I sometimes just want to quit, but I know something is good inside him although this good doesn’t always come with the support that I need. He loves his family too but he cannot easily ‘divert’ his attention so he often prioritizes his own agenda before his family. As in it is an ‘accident’.
This is his love. This is his best. He has no other intention but love me and I believe that is the truth.
We have been sleeping separately on and off for a few years now (since 2007). I've given up on trying because trying to ‘staying close’ as a couple is just too painful for me.
By giving up pursuing the ideal - intellectual and physical intimacy I freed myself from seeing us as a married couple. I invented this scenario – where we’re just friends, we share a home and a child but we’re just 2 separate individuals. This makes me less upset and less angry. Getting rid of these negative emotions was the most liberating thing I’ve ever done and very beneficial for my AS spouse.
I apologized to him and stressed that the problems that I have is not knowing how to cope with his inability to seek to my needs (and our daughter’s emotional needs as well). I cannot offer anything else other than being his friend and keeping peace at the cost of me stop being his wife. (No expectations no arguments)
I know he’s not happy about this but nobody should live with frequent arguments and shouting. ‘I don’t mind whatever makes you happy’ he says. I especially don’t fancy continue being "expected" to explain things (relationships/ people/ our child’s reaction/ how not to be late/ how not to be rude etc) to him because the more I try to fulfil this role as a teacher/ therapist the more I resent the role – it killing off all the romantic feelings I had for him. I tried many times to rekindle but recently I found myself hated the whole thing because some of his attitude and doings still send me to the same emotional roller-coaster ride.
I’m sad that I only found out about Asperger’s 2 years ago when I feel I cannot turn back or reconciliation/ rekindle our marital relationship anymore. I've lost all that feelings for him.
As I admitted, the weaknesses are all mine. If I’m a stronger woman I will not let his inabilities drag me down. I should be able to ‘simply explain the problem to him without getting upset and tell him exactly what to do’ as he put it. I still find some of the things he said and done unforgivable. I have bags of problems of my own I really cannot carry him anymore.
I know he loves me. I know if I turn around, he’ll happily resume our old relationship.
But I don’t.
Is it wrong to want to divorce my spouse because I no longer willing to be his therapist/ mentor/ only friend/ wife? I suppose what I’m really asking is I want to free myself from this huge duty, please don’t hate me.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 4:59 pm

swimmingfish wrote:
I'm not suicidal but I'm very very depressed and also see no way out in my 13 years of marriage.
No doubt that he loves me and we both agreed that he might be AS (undiagnosed).
But this piece of information doesn’t provide any well-needed comfort for me.
I sometimes just want to quit, but I know something is good inside him although this good doesn’t always come with the support that I need. He loves his family too but he cannot easily ‘divert’ his attention so he often prioritizes his own agenda before his family. As in it is an ‘accident’.
This is his love. This is his best. He has no other intention but love me and I believe that is the truth.
We have been sleeping separately on and off for a few years now (since 2007). I've given up on trying because trying to ‘staying close’ as a couple is just too painful for me.
By giving up pursuing the ideal - intellectual and physical intimacy I freed myself from seeing us as a married couple. I invented this scenario – where we’re just friends, we share a home and a child but we’re just 2 separate individuals. This makes me less upset and less angry. Getting rid of these negative emotions was the most liberating thing I’ve ever done and very beneficial for my AS spouse.
I apologized to him and stressed that the problems that I have is not knowing how to cope with his inability to seek to my needs (and our daughter’s emotional needs as well). I cannot offer anything else other than being his friend and keeping peace at the cost of me stop being his wife. (No expectations no arguments)
I know he’s not happy about this but nobody should live with frequent arguments and shouting. ‘I don’t mind whatever makes you happy’ he says. I especially don’t fancy continue being "expected" to explain things (relationships/ people/ our child’s reaction/ how not to be late/ how not to be rude etc) to him because the more I try to fulfil this role as a teacher/ therapist the more I resent the role – it killing off all the romantic feelings I had for him. I tried many times to rekindle but recently I found myself hated the whole thing because some of his attitude and doings still send me to the same emotional roller-coaster ride.
I’m sad that I only found out about Asperger’s 2 years ago when I feel I cannot turn back or reconciliation/ rekindle our marital relationship anymore. I've lost all that feelings for him.
As I admitted, the weaknesses are all mine. If I’m a stronger woman I will not let his inabilities drag me down. I should be able to ‘simply explain the problem to him without getting upset and tell him exactly what to do’ as he put it. I still find some of the things he said and done unforgivable. I have bags of problems of my own I really cannot carry him anymore.
I know he loves me. I know if I turn around, he’ll happily resume our old relationship.
But I don’t.
Is it wrong to want to divorce my spouse because I no longer willing to be his therapist/ mentor/ only friend/ wife? I suppose what I’m really asking is I want to free myself from this huge duty, please don’t hate me.

Well as you said, we don't know that he has AS and you have not shared with us exactly what he has done and said so it's difficult to comment as you have left out key details of the situation.

Provided he is not abusive, I think you have probably handled the situation in one of the more optimal ways, realizing you could not have the relationship you wanted with him, so settling for one that works a little better. Here is the thing about relationships that a lot of people fail to admit or realize. It is rarely completely about one person or the other.

You are the one who is unhappy with the way he acts and feel that it's your fault because you should be able to tolerate certain aspects of his behavior, but this isn't really about fault as it is compatibility, and he actually does have responsibilities concerning his behavior, even if he does have AS.

Another thing:
You are not actually trapped in the marriage, you have simply chosen what you view as the most optimal of all of your options. Other options would be a matter of legal formality and would not change your living status: For example you could separate or divorce and still live together. Or conversely you could change your living status but not legal status by not separating or divorcing but moving out of the house. This would probably be economically unideal. Or you can divorce and move out of the house.

I think you would have to ask how that would improve your situation though. A lot of your difficulty seems to come from having to deal with him but you really don't have to. For example my roommate was supposed to clean the yard but he never did. This annoys me because I have a busier schedule than he, yet if I lived alone, the yard wouldn't get cleaned by someone else either.

If I were married to him it would be a different story. I would have an issue with it because he would not be doing things I would expect him to do as a husband, but I wouldn't marry him for exactly that reason (and others but this is hypothetical). He cannot fulfill the things I would expect of a husband.

Since he is not my husband, I don't expect certain things of him so there isn't much to get upset about when he does not provide such things.

Technically your husband is your husband but in practice he doesn't have to be.

swimmingfish
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Aug 2011, 1:48 pm

You are right Chronos, I’m technically just sharing a home with him but I quit all the things that I will do with a spouse. It does free me from that horrible pressure. And you’re right for the second point, I do have to deal with him a lot and being the broker between him and our daughter and support the family on my own (he is not earning, not helping with chores and not providing emotional support). I’m 37 but feeling 57!!

Going back to what you asked, what make me think he might be AS? Here you go – He never really had a job, very talented self-taught blues harmonica player/ bass/ vocal. He plays at gigs and makes £50 here and there but never really enough to pay the bills or sustain a family. When we were really broke (when I was pregnant with our child) I beg him to get a job (with tears) he plainly replied ‘a job will be too boring for me, I cannot do 9 to 5’. We literally had less than £100 in back and 3 months arrears in rent.

He cannot understand why keeping the house clean is pleasant (his standard would be doing the dishes when there’s no cups left in the cupboard) and when I explain the hygienic issues over his overly smelly bedding he’d just hang them out in the garden and insist that the sun and air should clean it up. He complains about the smell of washing powder.
He is very sensitive to materials, even just cotton t-shirt, it got to be right types of cotton or he will be well irritated by it. He wears a particular t-shirt inside out (even out on the street) because the seams are too ‘scratchy’.

He is also bad in time-keeping and friendship-keeping. He never initiate any social meetings, he only gets invited because he wants to make sure that ‘I’m wanted’. When I ask him ‘don’t you miss going out to see your friends?’ he replied ‘no’. He stays at home all the time. He never really get any things done but always busy on the Internet.

He cracks inappropriate jokes, once, he made a joke about his father’s sexual life. His brother started it but only subtle along the line of FIL choice of TV channel and then my spouse carried on to an increasingly explicit level… all our faces then turned into grimace, he still didn’t stop until his brother said ‘that’s is getting a bit much’. (fail to realise facial expression?)

He thinks people shouldn’t do anything for one another unless been asked. When I was overwhelmed by all the financial worries and housework when I was 8 month pregnant, I was all in tears and I asked him ‘how come you never helped?’ he simply replied ‘you never asked’. He was cross with me because I was ‘expecting him to read my mind’.

I moved to England because he was unhappy in Hong Kong. When we first got back to his hometown in the UK, he offered no help or orientation. I didn’t even know how and where to get to the nearest shops! Naturally, he’s on the computer all the time, finding ‘his way’ and checking out ‘the music scene’, somehow the welfare of his wife and child is not a priority, because ‘you didn’t ask’.

Once I got upset about being misunderstood by him and I really have had nobody to speak to, so I turned to his dad for a shoulder to cry on. My father-in-law concluded the whole conversation in this statement: ‘don’t expect anyone to be nice, treat them all as evil, even your husband and child, until you’re sure that they are angels and then maybe you can consider to be their friends’. Only then I realised what it is that I’m dealing with…I’m in the thick of it all.

I always thought that it was my English so I went to study English, then I thought it was my lack of understanding of culture differences so I went to do Social Anthropology and then I though it was my small social circle so I went volunteering to widen my social circle and then I realised it’s none of these…

Sometimes I will ask him to kiss me or kiss me with passion or kiss me while holding me in his arms. The communication is one-sided, I never get any info from him, when I ask he'll say ‘of course I’m happy’ or ‘of course I love you’ or ‘of course I care’ or ‘of course I want to make money’ why do I have to ask?! I was expected to be mindreading-ready.

The worse for me is this one ‘you can’t expect me to know that, you have to explain it to me without getting upset and tell me exactly what to do’. But not the other way around for me. I'm tired of this game.

And you’re right at the final point, I’m staying because I cannot afford the time and money to live separately from him. I feel that I’m using him and his inherited home but I cannot get out.

Thank you for your reply Chronos!

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 9:14 pm

It seems to me that many of your problems started with miscommunications that grew into serious emotional turmoil in your mind, but not in his. Now that you believe that he has AS, perhaps you could try a different communication style with him, and see if that relieves some of the pressure you feel.

An example is asking. Asking works differently for a normal person vs. an autistic person. For a normal person, if someone asks you to do something, then that's basically an order from them to you, implying a superior-to-inferior power imbalance in that moment and adding to the existing long-term power balance between the two of you. By not asking, you're being gentle with the other person, hoping that they will pick up on your desires without you putting them into an inferior position. It also gives you pleasure that someone thought of doing something without you having to ask. For an autistic person, asking is just asking, no power play involved, so they will do something if you ask them and not pick up on your desires otherwise. In addition, some of us are really uncomfortable with people doing things for us without us asking them. If we wanted them to do something, then we would have asked. Someone who is used to thinking this way is not going to think that someone else prefers that they do things without being asked. Just like you can't believe that you have to ask him to do everything. It's a clash of communication styles. Maybe not even a clash. More like a miss. Think an asteroid missing the Earth.

In other words, your husband doesn't and can't and won't read your mind. When you want him to do something, just ask. You don't have to be gentle with him. When there's no clear reason why the thing has to be done, come up with a nice logical one and give it to him. If you can, state your emotional needs and wants clearly and ask him to fulfill them. He will do this for you in exchange for you telling him about them and not expecting him to read your mind. Remember that you also cannot read his mind, so don't project your frustrations into him being wilfully lazy or neglectful. His perspective makes total sense to me. After all, you didn't ask. Remember that you're the one with the emotional needs and wants that you want him to fulfill for you. He might not have those same needs and wants himself, so don't expect someone who doesn't have those needs and wants to know what they are and if and when others have them and expect them to be fulfilled by him. If you don't have a second head, then you're not going to have to brush its hair every morning. Sorry for the creepy image.

In summary, you're not horrible, and he doesn't sound horrible, and your miscommunications don't sound insurmountable to me. The only thing that I didn't understand was why your being a teacher to him killed off all the romance between you. You're helping him function better as a husband and father. How is that such a romance-buster? If you still want to save your marriage, then you will have to change your perspective on that. And you will both have to work on matching up your communication styles so the asteroid actually hits the Earth some significant percentage of the time. Sorry for that too. I dunno why my examples are so creepy. When in doubt, just say it out loud. Chances are he'll appreciate that from you. Tell him that you're changing your communication style for him, and tell him that you expect specific actions from him, and tell him why you expect those actions, whether they are being more affectionate with you or paying more attention to you and your daughter or supporting the family with a regular income. Chances are he'll get it if you say it out loud, calmly, and logically. If you hint it or say it in a way like he is totally inadequate or at fault for everything that has gone wrong ever, then don't expect him to change his perspective or behavior.

Last thing: Your situation and the situations of many NT spouses in an AS-NT marriage reminds me of the NT parent-autistic child crisis. Basically, parents lose it when they find out that their child is autistic. Part of them doesn't want to do the hard work of connecting with their autistic children. The big difference between the two situations is that wives can divorce their husbands, but parents can't divorce their children. To divorce or not to divorce? That is the question. Stick around this board. Once you learn his perspective from people here, and you teach him yours, the work may not be as hard as you think it is.

cosmicvoid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Aug 2011, 2:42 am

btbnnyr wrote:
An example is asking. Asking works differently for a normal person vs. an autistic person. For a normal person, if someone asks you to do something, then that's basically an order from them to you, implying a superior-to-inferior power imbalance in that moment and adding to the existing long-term power balance between the two of you. By not asking, you're being gentle with the other person, hoping that they will pick up on your desires without you putting them into an inferior position. It also gives you pleasure that someone thought of doing something without you having to ask. For an autistic person, asking is just asking, no power play involved, so they will do something if you ask them and not pick up on your desires otherwise. In addition, some of us are really uncomfortable with people doing things for us without us asking them. If we wanted them to do something, then we would have asked. Someone who is used to thinking this way is not going to think that someone else prefers that they do things without being asked. Just like you can't believe that you have to ask him to do everything. It's a clash of communication styles. Maybe not even a clash. More like a miss. Think an asteroid missing the Earth.

Nothing to add, but wanted to say I like this statement.

swimmingfish
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Aug 2011, 12:48 pm

Codmicvoid, I totally agreed with you. btbnnyr put it in together rather neatly in what you quoted.

Quote:
Chances are he'll get it if you say it out loud, calmly, and logically. If you hint it or say it in a way like he is totally inadequate or at fault for everything that has gone wrong ever, then don't expect him to change his perspective or behavior.

btbnnyr, I have been adopting a different style of communication since I suspect his case as AS. The communication has improved but I just didn't feel that despite the slow improvement, it is going to be enough for me. I am stuck at the divorce or not divorce stage.

answering your question:
Quote:
why your being a teacher to him killed off all the romance between you. You're helping him function better as a husband and father.
If he sees it that way and acknowledge our achievement together as a couple the whole thing should be heartwarmingly loving. Sadly I don't think this is the case. From what he says so far, he sees my help and explanations at time 'patronising' or 'don't see the point of it'. I have to constantly trying to remodel my approach to make it work but I find making myself understood hard. I find speaking without including how I feel hard.
There are positive cases when my advice worked but he never realised how much work I've put in just so I can share my view with him. He never says thank you or sorry when the discussion didn't work out and I'm too proud to let my hard work gone unrecognised. --> I know I sound so mean :(

Just seeing him being oblivious about our effort (child and I) trying to keep things simple for him kills me. I don't love my husband unconditionally, I want something back. I want him to show a little realisation and be able to reflect and give a little recognition in this family. I also resent the moments when he did something right and he openly question my appreciation. It almost like, as if I'm expected to 'baby' him. Like I must recognise his good doing at once but never the other way around, not even for our child. Although the praises did help to reinforce the recurrence of that particular behaviour but I detest it. I don't really get too much satisfaction or emotional fulfilment from coaching him do well without his gratitude, it sounds mean but he is not my child. I'm prepare to give what I have to my child and get really happy and proud when my she did well for herself because I love my child unconditionally. But sadly not for him, that's not what I want from my husband. Whenever I think about this point I feel ashamed of myself, but I can't force myself to just give but never receive in a marital relationship.

Worse of all, this makes me feel very helpless and lonely at times.

I found that it's ok to forgive him and remain friends but I don't really fancy him anymore, I wish I can explain it better.

Thank you for the reply :)

Wayne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2011, 8:14 pm

Quote:
Just seeing him being oblivious about our effort (child and I) trying to keep things simple for him kills me. I don't love my husband unconditionally, I want something back. I want him to show a little realisation and be able to reflect and give a little recognition in this family.

Lesson number N+1: Giving explanations takes some effort, and therefore they deserve a "thank you".

Quote:
I also resent the moments when he did something right and he openly question my appreciation. It almost like, as if I'm expected to 'baby' him. Like I must recognise his good doing at once but never the other way around, not even for our child.

Lesson number N+2: Other people like you showing appreciation just as much as you like them showing appreciation. And clearly you like people showing you appreciation.

Quote:
Although the praises did help to reinforce the recurrence of that particular behaviour but I detest it. I don't really get too much satisfaction or emotional fulfilment from coaching him do well without his gratitude, it sounds mean but he is not my child. I'm prepare to give what I have to my child and get really happy and proud when my she did well for herself because I love my child unconditionally. But sadly not for him, that's not what I want from my husband. Whenever I think about this point I feel ashamed of myself, but I can't force myself to just give but never receive in a marital relationship.

So if he showed more appreciation for your efforts, do you think this would not come into play?

It seems to work that way over here... I've gotten into the habit of saying "thank you" whenever she gives me any piece of information, whether or not I already know it or thought it sounded condescending, and it seems to work well here. Of course I suspect she's not NT, so she may overlook or not even see a lot of ways that I fall short, so I don't know how that would apply to you.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 10:06 pm

don't wait around for something that will never be

don't mis-spend another portion of your life waiting

My mother (I'm not sure if she is AS or not) does not regret having married my father because she could not imagine life without us but we went through hell and she's upset that she did not connect the dots sooner, and that she thought she could work him through his immature behavior. he never changed, he still yells, very possessive, easily emotionally hurt, he still doesn't know why certain things make him react the way that he does, he often misses the context by which others are operating or speaking in, its a mess.

It is buyers remorse in an emotional sense and in the AS monthly meetings I attend, Im hearing from a lot of men who married an NT that their wives, too, feel betrayed in a way, or robbed of something, perhaps of a fairy-tale reality, perhaps simply of leading a normal life...

swimmingfish
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Aug 2011, 1:34 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:
easily emotionally hurt, he still doesn't know why certain things make him react the way that he does, he often misses the context by which others are operating or speaking in, its a mess.

MarketAndChurch, these are some of his traits. I have to be ultra careful when speaking to him, he gets upset so easily. When I tell him nice and calmly he's done something that upsetting the family routine or people's feeling, he'd sulk and then clean. But after this ritual, he never go back to try to resolve the problem. He used to sleep the problems away but after 10 years of advice, he comes to agree with me that he can't sleep his problems away so now he sulk and clean. EVERY TIME the same. [sigh]

As in he can't be confront that he's doing something wrong. Has he got an image of himself being 'perfect'?

I also have really hard time to try to understand his intention or motifs - he doesn't know why he does certain things therefore cannot provide an explanation about some of his behaviour. Like why he naturally speaks with under-hand hostility? why most he shout instead of talk? Usually I'll get some repeated denials before a sulky 'I don't know'. Even I want to move forward with him and keep this relationship, he's not always willing to move forward together :(

Wayne, you are right about appreciation.

Quote:
Lesson number N+2: Other people like you showing appreciation just as much as you like them showing appreciation. And clearly you like people showing you appreciation.

I don't need him to make money, I can do that for the family. I don't need him to run the house, I can do that for the family. I don't need to live in a fantasy, small things make me smile...all I want is that he tells me HE KNOWS and HE UNDERSTANDS why and who I'm running around for. That'll do the job.

Perhaps this is all going back to what Chronos says, it's about compatibility if anything.

Thank you both Wayne and MarketAndChurch's reply :)

Wayne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2011, 2:41 pm

swimmingfish wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:
easily emotionally hurt, he still doesn't know why certain things make him react the way that he does, he often misses the context by which others are operating or speaking in, its a mess.

MarketAndChurch, these are some of his traits. I have to be ultra careful when speaking to him, he gets upset so easily. When I tell him nice and calmly he's done something that upsetting the family routine or people's feeling, he'd sulk and then clean. But after this ritual, he never go back to try to resolve the problem. He used to sleep the problems away but after 10 years of advice, he comes to agree with me that he can't sleep his problems away so now he sulk and clean. EVERY TIME the same. [sigh]

My wild guess:

Sulk = feeling frustrated and trying to hold back because expressing it has gone badly before. But he still feels it and holding it back doesn't look like he's taking it well, it looks like, well "sulking". Which it what sulking is, I suppose....

Cleaning = Trying to make it up to you.

My wife hates it when I try to make things up to her. This strikes me as very strange. Maybe it makes perfect sense to her.

Quote:
As in he can't be confront that he's doing something wrong. Has he got an image of himself being 'perfect'?

Screwing up that often with things that should be a no-brainer is hard for anyone to take. What exactly is the right way to apologize for making the same stupid mistake for the ten thousandth time in a row, especially when you're pretty sure you'll do it again in the near future?

Quote:
I also have really hard time to try to understand his intention or motifs - he doesn't know why he does certain things therefore cannot provide an explanation about some of his behaviour. Like why he naturally speaks with under-hand hostility? why most he shout instead of talk? Usually I'll get some repeated denials before a sulky 'I don't know'. Even I want to move forward with him and keep this relationship, he's not always willing to move forward together :(

Noticing or properly adjusting our own tone of voice is a common issue. It's not that he doesn't care, it's that it's hard to adjust something that you don't even hear until it's pointed out to you (at which point it's often too late to fix the interaction :( )

Quote:
I don't need him to make money, I can do that for the family. I don't need him to run the house, I can do that for the family. I don't need to live in a fantasy, small things make me smile...all I want is that he tells me HE KNOWS and HE UNDERSTANDS why and who I'm running around for. That'll do the job.

Feel free to cut and paste it and send it to him.

swimmingfish
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Aug 2011, 4:07 pm

Wayne, I really appreciate your reply and you answer it section by section :)

He hard that same message for numerous times. His respond to that would be 'I know of course I know' and that's it.
My problem is, 'if you know and you know that it's hard and taken a lot out of me, why didn't you help?'
'if you know uprooting me from my home country and my family to live here with you is hard why didn't you give me more affection and support so I'm not so desperately lonely?'

This whole going around in circle.

I sometime think that I'm totally handicap in the forgive and forget department.

I need him to try very hard to meet me in the middle for years, I'm in a stage where I'd just stand behind the 'middle line' and waiting for him to show up. I gave up getting over to his side to bring him closer to me...does this metaphor make sense at all?

I'm a terrible, terrible, terribly petty and calculative...

Wayne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Aug 2011, 4:27 pm

swimmingfish wrote:
He hard that same message for numerous times. His respond to that would be 'I know of course I know' and that's it.
My problem is, 'if you know and you know that it's hard and taken a lot out of me, why didn't you help?'
'if you know uprooting me from my home country and my family to live here with you is hard why didn't you give me more affection and support so I'm not so desperately lonely?'

Sometimes hearing it doesn't work as well as reading it. It may be too late for you to really care, but it is true for me and it seems to be true for a lot of us. So I really meant "copy and paste it into an email".

Quote:
This whole going around in circle.

I sometime think that I'm totally handicap in the forgive and forget department.

I need him to try very hard to meet me in the middle for years, I'm in a stage where I'd just stand behind the 'middle line' and waiting for him to show up. I gave up getting over to his side to bring him closer to me...does this metaphor make sense at all?

I'm a terrible, terrible, terribly petty and calculative...

Yes the metaphor makes perfect sense.

It's been going on for a long time, and it's worn you down. Even if there's a way to put everything back together, it'll take a while. In the meantime, it might not be too much of an effort to shift to mostly email to communication for discussin anything complex or emotionally charged with him and see how it goes... and maybe he'll be more able to meet you halfway there. Or maybe not, but if not it almost certainly won't make things worse.

Does he have a diagnosis? Is he getting counseling or medication?

swimmingfish
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Sep 2011, 3:40 pm

it has been a long time indeed.

Thank you for your suggestion, I've been mostly using mobile text nowadays and you're right, it works better for both of us.

Quote:
Does he have a diagnosis? Is he getting counseling or medication?

No, he's not diagnosed nor is he getting any counselling. I told him about this forum and got him a couple of books to read by Juanita P. Lovett. Suggest to him that he should try to do his own research too, but if he doesn't want to help this relationship. There's nothing I can do about it. :(

BTW, that's how I found this website - I want something that isn't originated from NT parents/ spouse and positive about AS so he can try to get some positive understanding. I'm ending up writing messages here and he's not even visit this website yet....

Wayne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2011, 5:48 pm

swimmingfish wrote:
No, he's not diagnosed nor is he getting any counselling. I told him about this forum and got him a couple of books to read by Juanita P. Lovett. Suggest to him that he should try to do his own research too, but if he doesn't want to help this relationship. There's nothing I can do about it. :(

Apparently he does want to help the relationship... he just needs to be convinced that this is a good way to go about it. There's a certain amount of "swallowing his pride" involved... I know that really understanding what Asperger's is all about and all the myriad ways it affects me really knocked the spring out of my step.

Quote:
BTW, that's how I found this website - I want something that isn't originated from NT parents/ spouse and positive about AS so he can try to get some positive understanding. I'm ending up writing messages here and he's not even visit this website yet....

What do you think would happen if you sent him a link to this thread with the words "hey, we're talking about you!"? Might shake things up a bit...

swimmingfish
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Sep 2011, 10:46 am

Wayne, this is the second time your reply made me smile :)

I'll try that.

How did you find out about your condition?

Wayne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Sep 2011, 12:08 pm

swimmingfish wrote:
How did you find out about your condition?

Took an online test in late 2009, it came back positive. Read some more, saw it fit. Read even more and couldn't really falsify it.

Then I found a forum for NT partners of aspies and got really really sucked in. And dismayed. And wondered if maybe I wasn't aspie after all... my wife didn't seem to despise me, and I certainly didn't do some of the far out crazy things some of their partners did. Except there were plenty of things that fit me that I'd always thought shouldn't be that much of a problem, and finally saw written descriptions of why they were a huge problem with NT spouses. And I saw things that NT after NT absolutely hated about their aspies that my wife never seemed to have a problem with at all. Then found some other forums and posted and found I really fit. Then read even more and that became my main obsession to this day.

Finding out just what had been going right over my head my whole life, how limited I was, and how limited I will always be no matter how hard I try and how hard I inescapably am to live with for most people... that was pretty hard to take. But reality doesn't care whether you like it or not... it stubbornly stays the same regardless of your feelings. So I'm stuck with it and all I can do is make the best of it.

I'm sure beyond a reasonable doubt now. I "came out" on Facebook a few months ago... people I work with saw it. I worried about that for a while before coming out and then finally said "screw it, it's not like I can convincingly pretend to be normal anyway".

I don't know why my wife still loves me and seems to enjoy being with me. My leading theory boils down to "she's also on the spectrum"... but I'm not quite convinced of that yet. I do have a job and I love affection and snuggling and sex (a little bit more than she does in fact) so maybe that helps even though I have trouble with conversations and vibes and all that other stuff.

I haven't got a diagnosis yet. I did get a diagnosis for ADHD in 2004 so I could get some meds, and they do help. But I can't quite justify jumping through all the hoops or spending all the money required to get an AS diagnosis. Not yet anyway... that day may come.