Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

jmoney
Raven
Raven

03 Feb 2005, 2:14 pm

I'm dropping out and getting my GED. I know, I will regret it, but I'm not going to put myself through another year of this. I get anxiety around people, I'm a target for bullies (not as much as I was in Elemtary school), and it even hurts my grades. I can't do projects with people... I get so nervous that my mind goes blank.

A human being was not meant to handle this much stress and I should respect myself and not put myself under it. I'm sure most of you will disagree, but this is what I feel I need to do. Life after school, with just a GED, will be hard. I am aware money will be tight but, seriously, even if I graduated it's not going to get me much further. I messed it up my Freshman and Sophmore year that I can't get into college.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2005, 2:19 pm

If your going to take measures like that... well there's probably nothing I could say to stop you from doing it. But I do offer three bits of advice.

1. Talk to your guidance counsler first (if you haven't done so already)
2. Consider an HSED over a GED
3. Just becasue you had a few bad years in school dosen't mean you will be excluded from college.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2005, 2:31 pm

I agree with scoots. I left school at 16, totally disillusioned with the place. I took A levels (the UK equivalent to HSED I believe) starting a year later at a local further education college, and eventually went on to take an honours degree at university several years later.

School might not be the place for you right now, but don't let bullies screw up your chances - you can always continue your education later. :)

Dunc

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

jmoney
Raven
Raven

03 Feb 2005, 2:37 pm

What's an HSED? Thanks.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2005, 2:46 pm

HSED = High School Equivalency Diploma

You would have to check exactly where you would go to to obtain one. However, a caveat on going for an HSED or GED. The acedemic pace is much quicker and harder than you have it now. I have worked with several recipents of HSED's who can attest to this. Plus you will be surrounded by the type of people who would have given you hell in your younger years.

And, the course work is expen$ive!

You're much better now in your current situation regardless of how bad you think you may have it.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2005, 3:10 pm

What's a GED?

Perhaps you could go to a school councillor about it? Did you know there may be scholarships available for people with AS?

Alot of NT's get them for obscure reasons that doesn't exactly "make their life hard".

sephardic-male
Toucan
Toucan

05 Feb 2005, 8:37 pm

does your school has a zero tolerance against bullying?

JayShaw
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Feb 2005, 9:54 am

Quote:
I messed it up my Freshman and Sophmore year that I can't get into college.

I'm not sure exactly what happened, but I doubt you did anything that would exclude you from being able to attend a community college after you obtain your high school equivalency. If you go to community college for a couple of years and receive decent grades, you should be able to gain admission to a university.

TaliDaRadical
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Feb 2005, 10:19 pm

Get thee to a community college! Then onward, upward to a 4 year school!

jmoney
Raven
Raven

10 Feb 2005, 10:46 pm

I'm dropping out tommorow morning. My parents already agreed.

Things are looking up. :cry: