Experiment: special interest -> business

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

robh
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Sep 2011, 12:32 pm

I've had this idea on my mind for months, as Aspies tend to have a special interest that they are really good at, why not convert it into a business? Now, it does not have to be some hugely successful business, just enough to support your life, one man (or woman) doing what they love.

Well, I'm doing an experiment to test it out. My interest is programming and web development, so thats what I'm doing: http://robehickman.com/

It will be interesting to see how this works out, especially how much of a barrier the social issues really are.

Have you done something like this? Post your experiences :)

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 1:12 pm

More power to you, Rob! :D

And I like the approach of testing a business idea (including demand and market) by starting a business out of one's home or car, and thus avoiding the fixed costs of storefront rent, utilities, insurance.

One 'book' on Microsoft is that they were 'good enough' on product, marketing, service, etc, without being great in any one. Another 'book' is that Bill Gates did not mind winning messy.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 2:31 pm

I am interested in computers, and like doing things with my hands. After a frustrating college career and obtaining a worthless degree (office management), I finally got trained as a computer repairman. I am still learning some aspects of the business. But at least I'll have something to do-sitting around is boring.

bergie
Toucan
Toucan

05 Sep 2011, 7:39 pm

Good luck to you.

A couple suggestions:
-Have someone with an eye for grammar/spelling go over your website as a potential customer may see a mistake in those areas as a sign of sloppiness.
-Try to explain what some of the more technical skills you list are in terms that a non-technical person can understand. I am a fellow programmer so I know what a salted and hashed password is but to a potential customer, that sounds like you are turning it into breakfast.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 7:52 pm

I began mining young then retired in my mid 20's

Business acumen could show as young as 15 years old, or be learnt later in life. Primarily it tends to be instinctual

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2011, 12:49 am

Here's a recent thread you may be interested in:
Any donwsides of going freelance?
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt171266.html

And on the broader question of whether I can consciously adopt a new interest? Well, sometimes I can 'dance' an interest as it were. And sometimes it takes and sometimes it doesn't.

nhance
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Sep 2011, 8:33 pm

I've been in business since 05 and obsessed with it. Things have been going quite well.

nhance
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Sep 2011, 8:35 pm

Your prices are far too low. A good portfolio will go a long way, but it can be difficult to build. Do what you can to connect with names that will be recognizable.

I would love to share more of what I've learned if you're interested.