Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

00aspie00
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Sep 2011, 9:19 pm

Hi everyone my daughters's aid is very laid back and jokes around with her and the aid told her to go and do somthing and she said "I don't like you" (daughter can't recall saying this)
I had a chat to the aid who said she wasn't going to let her get away with being talked to like that I asked her how would she feel if someone said that to her blah blah. She then said that miss S said I was only joking.
I am just wondering do you think she said it because she was confused and not understanding the jokes and when she tried to be funny it backed fired?
And also how do I tell the aid not to joke around as she doesnt understand her.?
Miss S has had a lot of change the passed few weeks different teachers
very emotional I think just from trying so hard to cope in school. friends , work, teachers.
She got sent home yesterday because she was very low, quiet all her coloure goes out her face and she just wants to be left aloune to work it all out. She worries that because today was a bad day tomorrow will be too. I hope someone can just chat to me very new to the aspergers world. xx

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 6:13 am

Hello. Maybe the aid is trying to help her understand jokes, but I do not think she is using the right approach, because your daughter is confused. Maybe she is too young? You did not provide her age. But I do think you need to talk to the aid about all the changes and how is your daughter doing at school, and also tell her/him your daughter is very emotional right now, how she feels about the jokes, and that you would like her to stop, at least until your daughter feels better. I think there are more important things to work right now than your kid "getting" jokes. If the aid finds that "that" important you can help buying her comic books like Garfield, Forbes & Hobbes, etc. That helped my daughter a lot, because she would ask when she did not understand the jokes and I explained to her why that was funny.
Poor thing. Changes are very difficult, but they need to learn to handle them. All you can do is talk to her, support her, be there as much as you can, and give her space to handle her emotions. Maybe relaxing music and some relaxing tea at home will help her. Best wishes to both of you.