The love and dating glossary

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 2:24 am

Here is my take on what different terms mean. Feel free to add yours and I'll edit them into the first post if you want! :D
Also if you want to suggest changes do so and I will edit :)

Nice/decent Guy/Beta male: A guy who has a nice nature and is respectful to all, not just females. He's not as popular as a true alpha male, does have his insecurities but none the less he is likable and friendly.

Self Proclaimed Nice Guy (Omega Male): This guy tries to be respectful and nice to women for something in return: a relationship, friendship or sex. If he doesn't get these things, he turns into a mega a***hole or a butthurt moron. Isn't really a nice guy by nature. Has an ulterior motie for being friendly.

Sweet Guy: A sensitive soul, Quite passive/non agressive, Is happy to be friends with people or still friendly if he DOES get rejected. Sometimes feminine. Possibly gets walked over when people take advantage of his kindness.

True Alpha Male: Very popular with ladies and friends with lots of guys. Respectful to all. Kind by nature. Very confident.

Douche bag/Playboy: Popular with ladies and has lots of guy friends. Portrays confidence but this is to hide insecurities. Often huge insecurities. Becomes a mega a***hole or a butthurt moron when his ego gets cut down. Not a nice person.

Dating: Meeting up with multiple people to see you if you hit it off. It's more of a trial and error stage. In the dating stage a relationship eween two specific people is not exclusive.

Relationship: An exclusive relationship between two (or more, if you are in a poly relationship) people. If you see other people at this stage without the consent of your partner it's considered cheating (unless its a fetish).

Open Relationship: Same as relationship but allowing partners to have sex with/see other people.

Friends with benefits: Two people who are friends who also have a casual sexual relationship, but also hang out as friends.

F*ck buddy: Two people who don't really know each other well get together for the sole purpose of sex.

Bad boy: A guy with a bad attitude. Does what he wants and treats other people poorly. Some people find the danger and the fact they have to fight for his affection attractive but a lot als don't. Often has been to jail/gets into fights etc.

Slapper: A woman who "gets around"

One night stand: Meeting for the sole urpose of sex never to see the person again.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 11:41 am

Thanks for clearing things up for everyone.

Anyway, I am the type of guy who makes the first move, but struggles when it come to the big relaionship-related questions (touching, sex, etc.), and find it difficult asking those questions without consulting good friends or family first (however, I have gotten better at that over the years).

I go the extra mile to show someone that I can be a great partner for them, even if I am not their fantasy guy.

Which category would I fit in given that?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 7:57 pm

Well Tim, I made this thread so everyone could help me, too. I want to hear what other people think these are too, and feedback.

AsteroidNap
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 10:46 pm

How about some PUA terms and the identifying qualities?

We just had negging in another thread, and it might be enlightening to some who don't know what this tactic involves. I'm not too familiar with these myself. The only other tactic I've heard of is Boyfriend Destruction.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 6:57 am

hale_bopp wrote:
Well Tim, I made this thread so everyone could help me, too. I want to hear what other people think these are too, and feedback.

Ah, I see. I was just asking out of curiosity.

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 1:33 pm

I used to think that 'friends with benefits' and 'f**k buddy' were the same thing.

Zinnel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Sep 2011, 9:07 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
Here is my take on what different terms mean. Feel free to add yours and I'll edit them into the first post if you want! :D
Also if you want to suggest changes do so and I will edit :)

Nice/decent Guy/Beta male: A guy who has a nice nature and is respectful to all, not just females. He's not as popular as a true alpha male, does have his insecurities but none the less he is likable and friendly.

Self Proclaimed Nice Guy (Omega Male): This guy tries to be respectful and nice to women for something in return: a relationship, friendship or sex. If he doesn't get these things, he turns into a mega a***hole or a butthurt moron. Isn't really a nice guy by nature. Has an ulterior motie for being friendly.

Sweet Guy: A sensitive soul, Quite passive/non agressive, Is happy to be friends with people or still friendly if he DOES get rejected. Sometimes feminine. Possibly gets walked over when people take advantage of his kindness.

True Alpha Male: Very popular with ladies and friends with lots of guys. Respectful to all. Kind by nature. Very confident.

women meet me and think im this, Nice/decent Guy/Beta male:

get to know me and think im this, True Alpha Male:

then something happens(stress, drama) and see me as this, Self Proclaimed Nice Guy (Omega Male):

then finaly after that calms down they find me as this, Sweet Guy:

and after i break up with them see me again as this, True Alpha Male:

i get around :wink:

Bloviater
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Sep 2011, 11:40 pm

hale_bopp wrote:

Perhaps because he doesn't want to be an emotional tampon used five days a month and then discarded until the next relationship crises emerges. :wink:

Of course people want something in return. Without reciprocity, what's the f*****g point? Then it's merely a parasitic relationship going nowhere but south. What's wrong with yearning for affection in return? Whether it's platonic or not is irrelevant. Give and take will always be apart of the human condition.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 12:37 am

Bloviater wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
Of course people want something in return. Without reciprocity, what's the f***ing point? Then it's merely a parasitic relationship going nowhere but south. What's wrong with yearning for affection in return? Whether it's platonic or not is irrelevant. Give and take will always be apart of the human condition.

You know, some people are just nice to others by nature. If I stop and chat to a homeless man, its not because I want anything back. If I help an old lady down the street, same reason. If I am friendly towards workmates, same applies. If they don't want to be my friend, it's no reason to be rude to them.

It's their problem, not mine if they don't want to be friends or civil. I'm not going to be rude to them for it. I'll just speak to them like everyone else. Same applies for people of the opposite sex.

I'll only ever stop talking to someone after i've been friendzoned if my feelings are so strong, and go back to beig friends when this passes.

I am happy to listen to people whine to me on MSN. Why? NOt just because I'm a whiner myself, but because I actually like to help people, no matter what I come across like.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 8:36 am

hale_bopp wrote:
You know, some people are just nice to others by nature.

Shock and awe. :o :lol:

Freak-Z
Toucan
Toucan

11 Sep 2011, 10:18 am

What's wrong with wanting friendship? if all I wanted from a women was to be her friend and she rejected me, I would be pretty butthurt too.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 10:20 am

Freak-Z wrote:
Whats wrong with wanting friendship? if all I wanted from a women was to be her friend and she rejected me, I would be pretty butthurt too.

There's nothing wrong with it. What I'm trying to say, is if you're actually nice, you aren't only nice because you expect something back.

Sure, if you flat out get rejected, everyone will feel crap and possibly upset. But what I'm getting at, was that a nice person wouldn't put on the jam so he could get it in the first place. He would be nice anyway - without expecting anything to come of it.

A fake nice guy would be really nice to a girl he wants to befriend, and either ignore other people, people of the same sex or not go out of his way to be friendly.

A real nice guy would be friendly to all to begin with.

Last edited by hale_bopp on 11 Sep 2011, 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 10:21 am

What does butthurt mean?

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 10:28 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
What does butthurt mean?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=butthurt

Here ya go. :D

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 4:43 pm

I the mysterious brooding an type a bit of a jigsaw puzzle that is impossible to put together sorry I dont fit into any of the categories

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 4:57 pm

Erisad wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
What does butthurt mean?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=butthurt

Here ya go. :D

Thanks for the link! I find the Urban Dictionary even more fun than a real dictionary.