Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 11:35 am

Hi y'all!

I wonder if you know a way how to actually deal with constantly changing shifts. I mean, $company, I do tech support for is a big international company. I like the work there but one thing really grates on my nerves: every month, the shifts are changed and while you can select your preferences, there is no guarantee at all what you get. There actually is a very high chance at certain points not to get your preferences (so that others do, basic fairness and all that. Since they explained the algorithm to me, I am fine with that). Now, it means that whenever the shift changes (especially the free day...) I feel jetlagged, crappy and out of it. I mean, I can function, but it is not glorious.

There is a system of shift swaps, but I simply cannot get myself to mail the entire team the typical begmails which go around sometimes. It just feels like begging to do so.

So yeah, any idea how to best adjust to changing shifts?

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 12:05 pm

look for a new job in your free time.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 12:56 pm

oldmantime wrote:
look for a new job in your free time.

I actually like this job apart from this minor annoyance. So this is not really an option.

EDIT: Also, it was not easy for me to find a job despite seeking internationally. so I am not sure if it was worth it even if I didn't like the job very much.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

angiebanana
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Sep 2011, 4:40 pm

Some people suffer sleep shift disorders. If you can provide documentation from a doctor that working one shift consistently is medically necessary, they should accommodate you.