idc 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 23

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 7:18 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
No, because helpful is subjective.

Some might find Chronos' threads helpful.

Others may find Lilypad's game threads useful!!

So who's gonna be the judge whether this thread or that thread is useful or not?

Yeah, I can see this is gonna get a bit tricky.

I've heard of this democracy thing, and I've never thought it sounded like a good idea.

Personally, I could see us dividing things up by section, and if someone wanted to write a decent 'game' thread that doesn't offend half our membership, then I'd say include it.

lilypadfad
Toucan
Toucan

14 Sep 2011, 7:21 am

Quote:
if someone wanted to write a decent 'game' thread that doesn't offend half our membership, then I'd say include it.

I fear you ask the impossible.

Crom is a grim, gloomy and unforgiving god, ever watching from atop his mountain in dark clouds and obscuring mists, ready to pass disapproving judgment on any and all. But he is said to value courage and tenacity in mortals, even if they ultimately fail.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 7:26 am

lilypadfad wrote:
Quote:
if someone wanted to write a decent 'game' thread that doesn't offend half our membership, then I'd say include it.

Guess it ain't going in then

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 8:17 am

Moog wrote:
lilypadfad wrote:
Quote:

Guess it ain't going in then

that is a very interesting conundrum.

since the idea of "game" itself implies that women are to be objectified into game pieces/pawns by males who are the "players" of the game, it would be extremely difficult to write any sort of guide that saw females as individual and worthwhile human beings.

it would be rather like a guide for women that told them how to prey on rich men or something. there aren't too many ways to do it without objectifying men, and it would not be something i'd encourage women to engage in.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 8:28 am

I think all Boo threads should be stickied and sorted in alphabetical order.

HopeGrows
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In exactly the right place at exactly the right time.

14 Sep 2011, 10:04 am

First, to clear up any confusion, the replies in the “essential” post are supposed to contain threads. However, those threads are supposed to be voted on by the membership, so the replies are simply placeholders for suggested categories. They’ll be populated with threads that have been approved by the membership.

I have some suggestions in terms of the process used to nominate posts/threads, and how to manage the inevitable disagreements over what is “helpful” content.

In terms of the process to nominate/ratify/publish “essential” content to the new thread:

1. Make a new, stickied “nomination” thread. Any member can create a reply to the “nomination” thread. The thread should contain either the url for the suggested thread/topic, or the pasted content of a single post. Additionally, the author should feel free to suggest a category for the topic. (If at all possible, it would be awesome if these posts could be made anonymously to avoid turning the nomination process into a popularity contest or a political nightmare.)
2. Members can vote on each thread/post nominated. When nominated content reaches a threshold of positive/negative votes, a moderator will move it into the “essential” thread. (Or fill in any voting criteria that makes sense – the positive/negative ratio is just a suggestion.) If possible, I’d suggest disabling or at least discouraging commentary in the “nomination” thread, as there’s no need to start wars over members’ individual opinions of what is “essential” and what isn’t.

To address concerns over the differences in members’ individual opinions of what is “essential” and what isn’t, I suggest adding something like the following to the original post in the “Essential” post:

"The threads/posts published here went through a validation process prior to publication. Each piece of content was nominated by a WP member. All WrongPlanet members are invited to vote for or against publishing nominated content. In order to be included in this thread, the nominated posts received [Insert complete voting criteria here.]

It is important that readers understand that approval of the content in this thread is the responsibility of the membership. Most of the members of the WrongPlanet community are not credentialed academics in the field of autism. Instead, they are people who have been either professionally or self-diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome (or other diagnoses on the autism spectrum), and their family members, friends and partners. Most of the content you’ll find here contains the knowledge gained from the life experience, personal research, and individual belief systems of WrongPlanet members. Please keep in mind that each post represents the perspective of its author - not the endorsement of the WrongPlanet community."

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 10:32 am

i had been thinking of a different idea i guess, regarding the Hall of Fame thread. i had thought it would be isolated posts, in no particular order, to highlight some of the best posts from members. sort of a non-linear scrapbook of sorts, which would be fast and easy. i can see that it wouldn't work as well as indexing the posts but do we think that people will actually read through there for advice on their situation? just wondering if the work is warranted. people support the idea but would they use it as a tool?

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 10:42 am

Isolated posts could be indexed.

We´d probably end up with a big list of links to posts that may be helpfull to other members and a small description(which probably isnt as user friendly as your imagination as pictured it) but it could be done

Not sure if anyone would read through the full list but we could direct some newbies with doubts to sections that´ll probably clear their doubts so its not going to be there gathering dust.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt255139.html

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 11:05 am

Gawd, it's just a forum. Is all this worth it?

HopeGrows
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In exactly the right place at exactly the right time.

14 Sep 2011, 8:39 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
i had been thinking of a different idea i guess, regarding the Hall of Fame thread. i had thought it would be isolated posts, in no particular order, to highlight some of the best posts from members. sort of a non-linear scrapbook of sorts, which would be fast and easy. i can see that it wouldn't work as well as indexing the posts but do we think that people will actually read through there for advice on their situation? just wondering if the work is warranted. people support the idea but would they use it as a tool?

Hmmm....I may have misunderstood the intent, then. If the intent is to showcase well written and sound advice so that people can access it more easily, I think an index is necessary. Without an index, I don't see that a post that contains a lot random (albeit quality) threads is much different than the way the data is presented in the forum itself. :shrug:

A lot of the people that come here are looking for specific information about diagnosing and/or coping with Asperger's personally, or with a partner. I'd like to see the information that people have taken the time and energy to share preserved for reference by others....but without an index, this treasure trove of information would seem like a library full of good books - without the Dewey decimal system.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. If there is some kind of index implemented, I'd like to see a post related to the following:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postxf145018-0-105.html