Total votes : 55

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Sep 2011, 6:57 am

Chummy wrote:
nick007 wrote:
Only two relationships I had were mostly online but my 2nd(my current one which will probably be my last) is planned to became mostly an offline thing 1ce life circumstances permit. I never had any luck but bad trying to find a relationship offline. I cant vote in this poll because it's needs the 3rd option~ online relationship that turns into offline one

Nope. If you are currently waging your relationship online, than it's online. If it turns to real life than it's real life. You can't have both states simultaneously. What you can do, is vote which state you prefer. Do you like to touch feel and hold hands with your partner, or do you prefer just chatting and having a long distance relationship.

I still cant vote because it depends on how serious the relationship is for me. I think online is better in the very begging of the relationship because I communicate a lot better & feel more comfortable online but offline is better after things get more serious & we know each other better & feel more comfortable

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Lia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2011, 1:00 pm

HybridAP wrote:
The key factor here is just how often would you be able to meet in real life. If you are in an online relationship but can only meet once a year, then it is very likely one person will just tire of the other with simply talking all the time and not doing any real life activities (I don't mean THAT, perverts :P ). But say, perhaps every few months one of the people has the ability to go over to the other person's house and stay there for a week, and this is while working at getting a better paying job so they can visit more, and then eventually live together a year or a few from now. If that was the case then perhaps starting online and talking with webcams and so on might be better, because then you initially get to know each other through talking first, instead of just jumping into sex and believing you are in love.

well said :) most definatly agree though communication is important and you cant go too long with out a decent convo otherwise it just becomes annoying and depressing (yes, real life experience)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 1:03 pm

The internet can be a good tool for meeting people, and I have some people I've only ever talked to online.....and one I've also talked to over texting on my phone that I would consider friends. But yeah for me spending time with someone in person is a requirement for me to consider a intimate relationship......though I kinda suck at intamacy I think.

angel_amy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Nov 2011, 1:21 pm

I have had both types of relationships. For me I find it easier to meet someone and connect to someone online than I do in real life. So I would probably say online. Of course I meet the people first before I start a relationship with them most of the time. With my last it wasn't the case but we just clicked. I guess I spend more time getting to know them. I just find it harder to talk to guys in real life despite having more in common with them as I am very shy person. It took me a month at college until I made a friend so I just prefer internet. The best thing about long distance relationships is seeing that person after a long period of time and realising that the wait was worth the while.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 2:07 pm

Slagging off online relationships is incredibly ignorant. They have the potential to create the same emotional connection as any other relationship.

That said, if I could choose, I'd prefer a real life one for obvious reasons. But that doesn't mean online relationships are somehow "not real". That's crap.

LexF
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Nov 2011, 2:56 pm

Much prefer real life, although my real-life relationships have always ended badly.

I have no interest in LDRs -- complete waste of time, in my experience. Those ended badly, too. Starting to see a pattern here.

The one gf I had who really was on the same page with me, at least for awhile, is someone I met on line. But she lived just a few miles away, so we were able to move from on-line to real life very easily.

From here on out, I'm not even going to bother pursuing anybody who isn't very local.

SoftlyStepping
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Nov 2011, 3:26 pm

angel_amy wrote:
I guess I spend more time getting to know them. I just find it harder to talk to guys in real life despite having more in common with them as I am very shy person.

What to talk about when there is nothing to talk about.

Squirsh
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2011, 3:33 pm

I'm in an online relationship. The thing that makes it worth all the effort is the knowledge that we'll be able to meet one day and carry it on in person. I don't think I could be in a relationship where I knew I'd never meet the person.

Kady93

13 Nov 2011, 1:09 am

I honeslty thing that falling love with someone online is almost the same as encountering someone who may not be what they seem.

Thats why I prefer to find someone who is real and who is not an imposter on the internet.

Only thing is, I'm 18 and I STILL don't have anybody.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 7:22 am

Kady93 wrote:
I honeslty thing that falling love with someone online is almost the same as encountering someone who may not be what they seem.

Being online lacks body language and chemistry but I suppose for people like me, It doesn't matter. I don't really care about the way someone speak or how someone expresses themselves through body language since I have trouble with that anyway, it's only the context that matters to me. The only problem I have with online relationships is that you can't express affection in a physical way, you can't do activities together, you can't visit places together and follow each others interests unless you're both into online gaming but even that's not quite the same.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 7:28 am

ISquirsh wrote:
'm in an online relationship. The thing that makes it worth all the effort is the knowledge that we'll be able to meet one day and carry it on in person. I don't think I could be in a relationship where I knew I'd never meet the person.

Living together or flat sharing and being around each other most of the time is a completely different experience to talking and getting along with someone online. In an online relationship, people see the positives they want to see, they see what people want them to see, they don't see all the negatives and little quirks that people have so on paper or in text, that person can look incredibly amazing. That's why I have to give credit for many of the people on here, because they're open, honest and genuine about who they are and the negatives they have. People tend to live fantasy lives on the internet and in some cases in real life, I've even known people to rent flash cars such as Ferrari's and pose in swanky nightclubs in London when in fact, they're really in financial debt because of their lifestyle.

Squirsh
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Nov 2011, 7:51 am

Wolfheart wrote:
ISquirsh wrote:
'm in an online relationship. The thing that makes it worth all the effort is the knowledge that we'll be able to meet one day and carry it on in person. I don't think I could be in a relationship where I knew I'd never meet the person.

Living together or flat sharing and being around each other most of the time is a completely different experience to talking and getting along with someone online. In an online relationship, people see the positives they want to see, they see what people want them to see, they don't see all the negatives and little quirks that people have so on paper or in text, that person can look incredibly amazing. That's why I have to give credit for many of the people on here, because they're open, honest and genuine about who they are and the negatives they have. People tend to live fantasy lives on the internet and in some cases in real life, I've even known people to rent flash cars such as Ferrari's and pose in swanky nightclubs in London when in fact, they're really in financial debt because of their lifestyle.

It definitely is much too easy for some people to be dishonest to people they don't know in person. Thankfully my boyfriend is very open and honest about all of his flaws and he trusts that I'm open about mine, but I've known people who've been used by people who've been incredibly dishonest about who they actually are or have just decided to leave out major character flaws that would otherwise have been a dealbreaker for the friendship/relationship. Online friendships and relationships are certainly something to be cautious about for the first few months at least.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 12:17 pm

Squirsh wrote:
Wolfheart wrote:
ISquirsh wrote:

It definitely is much too easy for some people to be dishonest to people they don't know in person. Thankfully my boyfriend is very open and honest about all of his flaws and he trusts that I'm open about mine, but I've known people who've been used by people who've been incredibly dishonest about who they actually are or have just decided to leave out major character flaws that would otherwise have been a dealbreaker for the friendship/relationship. Online friendships and relationships are certainly something to be cautious about for the first few months at least.

I agree, it's definitely good to know all the cards on the table, I'd say you definitely have to be cautious but people still might not put all the cards on the table even if you know them in real life, people can disclose certain information. Yes, you can judge someone by body language, quirks, chemistry when first meeting them but other information such as financial debt, addictions, habits, flaws, these are only something you truly find out about when you start living with someone.

Lilya
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 2:30 pm

I agree with few people here that it's fine to meet somebody online with the hopes that it eventually leads to a real life relationship. I agree with Wolfheart that RL determines whether there's genuine rapport and chemistry between the two. It's very different to talk in skype with someone than actually live and share a life with them.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 6:08 pm

to me, online relationships are almost playing pretend. Because the person isn't there, in immediate reach.

autismthinker21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 5:38 pm

HybridAP wrote:
The key factor here is just how often would you be able to meet in real life. If you are in an online relationship but can only meet once a year, then it is very likely one person will just tire of the other with simply talking all the time and not doing any real life activities (I don't mean THAT, perverts :P ). But say, perhaps every few months one of the people has the ability to go over to the other person's house and stay there for a week, and this is while working at getting a better paying job so they can visit more, and then eventually live together a year or a few from now. If that was the case then perhaps starting online and talking with webcams and so on might be better, because then you initially get to know each other through talking first, instead of just jumping into sex and believing you are in love.

I think that's what's happening with my relationship. but i haven't webcamed her yet. this is weird a little bit. hey what's that thing floating. oh no. get back here Basterd. your not fooling me this time.