What are the best country to live with Asperger?

Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Maje
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 8:54 am

TheWingman wrote:
Maje wrote:
TheWingman wrote:
Maje wrote:

Yeah, when I meet a new culture I make a lot of mistakes... and learn. If you talk about the cultural patterns, I think I understand where you're at, but I personally dont prefer politeness for example, as it doesnt reduse the distance between me and others. Dont get me wrong here either, I value politeness, but it is not essential for feeling socially adequate (for me!). There are pros and cons to everything, :? I dont know how to get this down other than what I already said: The majority of people in every contry I have been to have exactly that in common that differs from me.... and therefore Im excluded anyway. I am still happy about hwo I am and wouldnt want to change it.

About politness, it's funny how the meaning of this word differs from country to country. In France, I founded out that you can be very polite just by saying Hello, Please, Thank you etc. In other countries, politness mean paying attention to others.

Personally I prefer the secong definition as I'm not very good in the first one.

xD

You got me there.

Still I think it is generally impolite to not paying attention to others... across contry borders, and that paying attention by e.g. saying things like you mentioned can be seen as polite everywhere. What about REALLY paying attention? Where is that country?

HereNow
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Sep 2011, 12:29 pm

Anybody evaluate Canada and Denmark?

On Canada: Filmaker Michael Moore's frequent emphasis of Canada (yes, quite a few of us felt vindicated as Moore "exaggerated" Canada as a nation with universal health-care made-up of polite people who don't lock their doors); yet even Moore has missed more detailed social/economic factors.

Anybody further examine that software company in Denmark that hires people on the Asperger/High-functioning Autism Specturm?

Of course, Denmark's advantage of excellent social-support benefits has likely helped alot; especially with independent-living resources that are probably appropritate towards the needs of people with Aspergers; many of whom have the least restrictions to independence.

Last edited by HereNow on 17 Sep 2011, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 2:20 pm

Not to sorta hijack, but the US state I've felt most comfortable in was Vermont. For me it was just completely heavenly there, no inbetweens there. You're either in "the city" or you're in "the country" and it was 1/2 hour in between for driving there. I liked the people there, too.

I've not travelled anywhere besides Canada and the Bahamas for like a day, so I'm going to have to base my assessments upon foreigners I meet and interact with here in USA.

I like the "feel" of the Asian markets and stuff I go to a lot, and for whatever reason, I find it like, a comfort zone there. Just going there, sometimes driving a half hour, to get a can of soda or something. I find it very soothing going there for some reason. I'm also kind of a weaboo and listen to Japanese music and stuff all the time, so there's that. Asian people in general seem too shy and xenophobic for me, though, but the ones I've gotten to know are great.

But otherwise, this might surprise people, but, the Middle East. Most Middle Eastern and Muslim people I talk to are really cool to talk to. I used to talk about Christianity a lot with the Muslims, and while I had no converts or anything, they were great people. They had lots of social gatherings and stuff, but for me, it like "made sense" the way they did everything. And as an American male, with the way I act and think, they didn't think it was weird, but thought it was more like, virtuous. Another thing in Middle Eastern conversation, supposedly interrupting is a sign that you're paying attention to the conversation, but they never seem mad when I do that. Also, again, when talking to most of them, we both tend to go on monologues for a bit, and really like, talk about specific things, tell stories, get into friendly debates, etc.

But I guess, for an example of "small talk" with a Pakistani dude and me. I was at the Pakistani restaurant I go to often, just buying a naan kebab roll. This Pakistani dude comes in, sees that I'm ordering a naan kebab roll or I ask him something about food or whatever. He asks me if I've seen a tandoor oven before, I said no, so he asked the owner if he could show me inside the restaurant to see theirs. So he shows me the whole inside of the restaurant, how the tandoor works, etc, and he then tells me I can make my own tandoor oven out of a flower pot, and explains exactly how to do this. This was just while I was waiting for my food at a restaurant. So I like that "small talk" a lot of time with them turns into "big talk" relatively easy, and you learn a lot, and they're not just wanting emotional affirmation or whatever, but are actually seeking to give and receive knowledge from a conversation.

Another example, too, you know why Pakistani convenience stores rarely hire American clerks? If they get a Pakistani clerk, they know due to culture, he's not going to call out of work with a hangover, or do other stupid crap like that. So if you're an American, around Pakistanis, it's not "cool" to get stupid drunk or have promiscuous sex, so if your entire coolness and social image is not based on that, people can appreciate you for other things you offer to the table.

But then again, I've never been to the Middle East, I don't know if the grass is really greener on the other side or not, but from what I understand, the culture is much more conductive to Aspergers/similar personality types. And another thing I notice, Pakistanis and Middle Eastern people seem to have serious problems making friends with Americans for whatever reason.

HereNow
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Sep 2011, 7:19 pm

Anybody find Native-American cases of Asperger Syndrome?

The 1990s CBS TV Series Northern Exposure offered that quirky, quiet, funny, and thoughtful approach to life in a small Alaskan Town; a town with an often brash New Yorker as the town's Doctor.

The TV-Series (popular when I was first diagnosed with AS) offered a "down to earth" approach to NorthWest Native Americans. At the time, because of the TV-Series, I began to feel that tribal wisdom might offer approaches which may "break the ice" for some people with Autism disorders.

RELATED: Any thoughts on the family who travelled to Mongolia with their young Autistic Son; as an attempt to have the tribal Mongolian people apply approaches, which seem to have yielded some improvements for the Autistic boy? The Book and Movie 'HorseBoy' offers a remarkable / hopeful story.

KathySilverstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Sep 2011, 12:42 am

Lots of interesting thoughts here. While I have no insights on any particular country, I have often been told that it is beneficial for Aspies to travel to other countries, because that way when they make social gaffes, it can be blamed on not understanding the culture instead of something more intrinsic. I've heard people say they felt much more welcomed and accepted in foreign cultures because of this. It would be an interesting theory to test out sometime.

Jhomes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Sep 2011, 1:57 am

I m from india and here is worst condition for aspies!...indian culture slightly different so here normal people can't understand aspie..when i tried to say something about asperger syndrome they were laughing at me..they think nothing is exist like asperger syndrome..they only think i m just shy.!
Too difficult to live in india..

Jhomes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Sep 2011, 1:57 am

I m from india and here is worst condition for aspies!...indian culture slightly different so here normal people can't understand aspie..when i tried to say something about asperger syndrome they were laughing at me..they think nothing is exist like asperger syndrome..they only think i m just shy.!

Jhomes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Sep 2011, 1:58 am

FTM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Sep 2011, 2:15 am

Any country that speaks a different language from your own is good. People think it's the different language and culture that sometimes makes you sound rude. I've lived in Holland, Norway and Brazil and I'd put Brazil as the hardest and Norway as the easiest country to live in as an Aspie.

Maje
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2011, 4:02 am

FTM wrote:
Any country that speaks a different language from your own is good. People think it's the different language and culture that sometimes makes you sound rude. I've lived in Holland, Norway and Brazil and I'd put Brazil as the hardest and Norway as the easiest country to live in as an Aspie.

I totally agree that foreign countries are easier. As I left my native country when I was 17, things went a lot better -to really good, and I thought all the time myself that I just had a cultural difference to everybody else.

Why do you think Norway is the easiest?

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2011, 9:40 am

South Africa or Bottswanna. In the middle of the Kalahari Desert playing with the meerkats.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2011, 10:31 am

During the breeding season, most creatures fight and injure their own kind.

Humans are always ready to breed........

If aspies do better with non peer relationships, relationships with foreigners and/or in foreign countries would offer a similar dynamic. However, after a time, I think the novelty value wears off....

Most of the Australians I meet living in NZ are somewhat spectrumites. They find solace away from their home country, and their nutty families.

I think the non peer element is the key, in this regard.

From my experiences travelling, also meeting foreigners here in NZ, I experienced greater general relationship joy with Scandinavians and Europeans.

Last edited by Surfman on 19 Sep 2011, 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheWingman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Sep 2011, 11:10 am

What really helped me is to live in another language. The fact of speaking of language in every day life which is not the mother language makes me feel more confident. It is probably not the same part of my brain I use then. When I speak in my mother language which is French, I stammer and I have a hard time building up sentences, finishing them, listening to people. I speak English, German and Dutch, in those languages, I have no problem to speak and to listen. I can say whatever I want.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2011, 11:26 am

If you're looking to live in the U.S., avoid the Bible Belt and the Midwest areas (particularly Indiana). Stick with coastal cities, possibly the more liberal areas. You don't have to live anywhere particularly busy but rural areas will probably be far more inconvenient. Cities can be convenient if you can just walk to everywhere that you frequently need to go.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2011, 12:55 pm

As an Australian, having travelled quite a bit, my observations put the UK and Japan at No. 1 and Australia at No 2.

bigbadbeast2007
Toucan
Toucan

10 Nov 2011, 5:24 pm

Juliette wrote:
As an Australian, having travelled quite a bit, my observations put the UK and Japan at No. 1 and Australia at No 2.

really? I find most but not australian people to be very ignorant and lack of understanding of AS Well the boagns (rednecks) anyway