WHICH IS THE BESTPROGRAMMING LANGUAGE TO START PROGRAMMING?

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 10:07 pm

HTML is not a programming language and will not teach you how to actually program in any way, shape, or form.

I've heard claims that students grasp the difficult concepts better if they start with functional programming. Anyone learn lisp or haskell first?

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Sep 2011, 7:31 am

Obres wrote:
HTML is not a programming language and will not teach you how to actually program in any way, shape, or form.

I've heard claims that students grasp the difficult concepts better if they start with functional programming. Anyone learn lisp or haskell first?

What is HTML then? Because it there for concept website

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

26 Sep 2011, 8:18 am

HTML is a markup language which provides a means of creating structured documents by denoting structural semantics for text such as headings, paragraphs, lists, links, quotes and other items. It can also embed scripts in languages such as JavaScript which affect the behavior of a page, and can also use CSS to define the appearance and layout of text and other material.

In essence, it's a document layout tool; a pretty-printer.
You can't learn to program by using it - in the same way that you can't learn to program by using a word processor.
But you can learn to produce nice documents. :wink:

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Sep 2011, 6:42 pm

Cornflake wrote:
HTML is a markup language which provides a means of creating structured documents by denoting structural semantics for text such as headings, paragraphs, lists, links, quotes and other items. It can also embed scripts in languages such as JavaScript which affect the behavior of a page, and can also use CSS to define the appearance and layout of text and other material.

In essence, it's a document layout tool; a pretty-printer.
You can't learn to program by using it - in the same way that you can't learn to program by using a word processor.
But you can learn to produce nice documents. :wink:

Oh thanks for the info...Yeah the time i try, i try css for apparence

Technokid1337
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Oct 2011, 3:45 pm

From my perspective, I would assume it would be VBS (Visual Basic Script). Although everyone holds their preferences. Upon initiating my programming past-time at around 10 years old, I found Visual Basic to be an easy start. I then gradually worked my way up from VB to Python, Visual C and C++.

Last edited by Technokid1337 on 05 Oct 2011, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HalibutSandwich
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Oct 2011, 5:34 pm

Cornflake wrote:
This is incorrect. With HTML5 and javascript you'll be able to write Metro style "native" apps for Windows 8. You may want to check out this video from the recent MS Build conference: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/BUILD/B ... 1/KEY-0001
It looks very promising, considering web developers will feel comfortable being able to write apps too. They're unifying all the API's to communicate with the kernel through the new runtime environment called WinRT. So you'll be able to choose to code in c++, c#, vb, html5, javascript and others.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

04 Oct 2011, 5:39 pm

HalibutSandwich wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
This is incorrect. With HTML5 and javascript
It seems to me that you've just confirmed what I said. :wink:

Quote:
you'll be able to write Metro style "native" apps for Windows 8.
Whatever they are. That first "W" in "WWW" is "World", not "Windows".

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 6:11 pm

I know that python is the most popular answer to this these days. I haven't used it but heard lots of good things.

I do everything in Perl. I think in Perl. Don't learn Perl.

Lisp is great fun to learn.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 10:59 pm

fraac wrote:
I do everything in Perl. I think in Perl. Don't learn Perl.

You might want to try Ruby. It has a pretty strong Perl influence from what I've heard.

Quote:
Lisp is great fun to learn.

Yes it is. I've had even more fun with Haskell, but I'm not quite sure I'd recommend either to an absolute beginner.

autismkid
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Oct 2011, 7:37 am

html 5 is more basic these day's I would suggest that then go on css etc

steffan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Oct 2011, 8:05 am

I started with VB4 but dabbled with Java and Pascal in college as it was a part of the course, but didnt enjoy either though I think that was more to do with the teaching method (I remember there being some flavour of Borland C in there as well). Im looking at taking up Java again as my VB is probably out of date though I have downloaded Visual Studio Express to see how much I remember, plus the Stanford course from a few years back is online which can act as my guide.

My big issue with doing progaramming at college was there seemed to be more emphasis on the designing of a program and tracking of errors rather than coding something that worked. I remember having to "invent" errors for an error log and draw a flowcharty type thing (JSP Diagram) after the application was finished as we couldn't pass an assignment without them even though I coded the whole thing from the top of my head, where as others passed assignments with programs that didint work but because they had done all the design work that was OK! Anyways, im going off topic here..

I would suggest the OP has a try at a few of the suggestions in this thread and find out what works for them. I would also agree with the poster who said about not going in one direction only though as its always good to have options.

HalibutSandwich
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2011, 3:22 pm

Cornflake wrote:
It seems to me that you've just confirmed what I said.

Haha, massive fail on my part, lol. I wasn't even thinking about it when I said that. I don't do any web coding and often think of html and js as the one thing.

Quote:
Quote:
you'll be able to write Metro style "native" apps for Windows 8.
Whatever they are. That first "W" in "WWW" is "World", not "Windows".

Don't get me wrong. I don't like the idea of an OS that works like a giant mobile phone. But it would be helpful for web devs to begin writing apps that can work cross-platform, or both locally and on a web server with bugger all code change.

I'm wondering why c# doesn't get much of a mention here? I started programming years ago with Turbo Pascal, Delphi (Object Pascal), which is fairly easy to learn. C# feels similar to Delphi and java. And it's good for prototyping ideas. I just wish Google had ended up using c# for Android, with all the recent worry of .NET's future.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

05 Oct 2011, 3:49 pm

HalibutSandwich wrote:
Haha, massive fail on my part, lol. I wasn't even thinking about it when I said that. I don't do any web coding and often think of html and js as the one thing.
D'oh! :lol:
Quote:
Don't get me wrong. I don't like the idea of an OS that works like a giant mobile phone.
No, neither do I. 8O
Quote:
But it would be helpful for web devs to begin writing apps that can work cross-platform, or both locally and on a web server with bugger all code change.
Hmm, I think I'd rather just have web devs devving web pages, ta, and there are very few web pages I can think of which only function on say, Windows - and the incompatibility with another OS exists because "someone" is forcing people to install say, Silverlight over other better established means. That sort of activity doesn't really help much with cross-platform...
Quote:
I'm wondering why c# doesn't get much of a mention here? I started programming years ago with Turbo Pascal, Delphi (Object Pascal), which is fairly easy to learn. C# feels similar to Delphi and java.
Delphi, you say? Mmm, loved it; an excellent piece of work. Looks like we trod the same path too 8)
I'd moved onto other things when C# appeared but would probably have gone there too.
Quote:
I just wish Google had ended up using c# for Android, with all the recent worry of .NET's future.
Heh. I just wish Google had done something like that, period. :lol:

karenina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Oct 2011, 4:32 pm

My first programming language is C#. I should probably learn a second soon, might have to look through these suggestions. :)

HalibutSandwich
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2011, 6:50 pm

Cornflake wrote:
I'd moved onto other things when C# appeared but would probably have gone there too.

So what do you use now Cornflake?

RandomNickname
Raven
Raven

06 Oct 2011, 1:22 pm

I'd recommend Visual Basic. It's the first language i learnt, and it is fairly basic. Most of the commands are in actual English like 'if' 'then' 'for' 'goto' etc.
You can also download Microsoft visual basic for free, which is the program you write the programs in, which is good. It's easy to use also.

There is also a lot of tutorials for VB too.