Is advocating autodidacticism anti-intellectualism?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 11:59 am

What are your opinions? Does a college level education require a college or is it possible to do the same studying one would do at college without being in college?

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 1:36 pm

I just know that I'm smarter than most college students I've met. Being in a room with desks and a pencil does not raise intelligence.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 1:43 pm

Mindslave wrote:
I just know that I'm smarter than most college students I've met.

Given that you're able to write a complete sentence with no spelling errors, which is about the most I can tell about you, that much does concur with your statement.

Mindslave wrote:
Being in a room with desks and a pencil does not raise intelligence.

True, although even when studying autodidactically it is good to have a clean and distraction-free environment. A good study area is useful for facilitating the acquirement of knowledge and understanding, although such is neither necessary nor sufficient to increase one's intelligence.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 1:45 pm

Mindslave wrote:
I just know that I'm smarter than most college students I've met. Being in a room with desks and a pencil does not raise intelligence.

Hear! Hear! Ditto college graduates.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 3:59 pm

If anything, advocating autodidacticism is pro-intellectualism. It takes a stand against the forced institutionalization of learning.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 4:08 pm

No, but it could be anti-institutionalised intellectualism.

bigcoop
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Sep 2011, 4:59 pm

Studying for four years and accruing significant amounts of debt in order to receive a piece of paper apparently prove credibility. If you are a natural mathematical genius, I would look into becoming an actuary. All you have to do is take exams. You can easily earn six figures and work from home.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 6:57 pm

bigcoop wrote:
Studying for four years and accruing significant amounts of debt in order to receive a piece of paper apparently prove credibility.

More apparently, to anyone who thinks about the situation, it proves more that the person is blind to what is going on with how they are being used by their school.

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 7:58 pm

I agree that it can be done, but i see spending hours in a class room and putting up with the BS that comes with it and being in a timed environment shows that a person can learn at the rate that is necessary while dealing with a stressful environment. Unless you had a time table on self teaching or were highly intelligent then I probably wouldnt allow it.

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 8:04 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
bigcoop wrote:
Studying for four years and accruing significant amounts of debt in order to receive a piece of paper apparently prove credibility.

More apparently, to anyone who thinks about the situation, it proves more that the person is blind to what is going on with how they are being used by their school.

Thats what it takes though, to realize that you are being used and to be ok with. Taking the risk of studying on your own spending the same amount of time doesn't sound worth it. Man up take the wallet rape and earn that piece of paper. Then rape them.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 8:18 pm

LostUndergrad9090 wrote:
Taking the risk of studying on your own spending the same amount of time doesn't sound worth it.

What is the risk of studying on my own? That I won't get a piece of paper from some randomly accredited organization to flaunt as if it proves any amount of knowledge has been obtained? Or that employers who already have spare applicants who are fully qualified and don't need them will also not need me? If my goal is learning for the sake of learning, how the heck would learning independently be any less worth it than learning surrounded by people who can't even spell or perform basic arithmetic and yet are in college?

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 9:16 pm

Point taken. But the waiting lines aren't going to be there forever. Its a huge risk to do it on your own. While that waiting list is decreasing and people who are in college are graduating and filling that waiting list you are stuck trying to pull yourself out of self studying and going back to college where it should have originally started. It takes 3 full semesters just to complete like 15% of a degree. What if lines aren't there anymore, to get a job while the doors are open would be sweet and make money while you can.

With that said, I do see your point on self studying independently for the just wanting to do it. But when its necessary to make or want to make 50k a year to support yourself and do what you want then you will be ready. and thats f**k, if 50k will even support yourself by the time you get out of college. I honestly care less about getting a degree for getting a degree. I just want a degree for those reasons. I don't think I could live another day gaining weight and asking my mom for money so I can go get something to eat. I need a degree for credibility also, I'm a high school dropout with no money and a bad job history, zero intelligence, and zero creativity. From what I have read they only want to see your GPA or degree on your application.

This could go on forever because I'm not exactly a people person at my school and don't think it will improve by the time its necessary to actually get a job or liked for that matter. People usually see me as a no brained fool so it usually works out. So I don't think I could even get a job or want to get a job from the people I have met. I have a plan, that I'm going to try to stick to just so I can live the way I want to.