Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 4:34 am

I know some aspies are infamous for having poor hygiene. I was hypothesizing that the better your smell is, the better your hygiene is. I have a desensitized sense of smell, so I either dont smell my BO or I do but Im not affected by the smell. Whereas I can imagine if an aspie has a hypersensative sense of smell, they might wanna keep clean more often then not.

What do you guys think?

Edit#1: After reading these posts and some of u are sensitive to artificial chemicals/smells. There's always organic products without the chemicals or scents which you can get at organic stores these days or online. There a bit more pricer but Im sure its worth it. For me, Im not sensitive to these types of things but I know a few people who are all about organics.

Last edited by Ai_Ling on 27 Sep 2011, 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 4:43 am

That's just another mystery of AS. This is why I don't like having it - this is a great example as to why it looks like all the symptoms are scattered about. It's like when they say Aspies have difficulties with time, yet they like to have a strict routine. WTF? Stupid AS! It doesn't make sense at all. Otherwise, I don't really know the answer is.

But anyway - I have a sinus problem so I can't smell things as well as average, so all the more reason why I like to keep clean. But when I was a teenager I used to go out with unshaven legs, greasy hair, and not washed. But luckily my mum did try her best to prompt me with keeping myself clean, otherwise I don't think I would have keep it up now.

starryeyedvoyager
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 5:26 am

I am very obsessed with my personal hygene. I have a very accute sense of smell that is easily offended especially by foul body odours, and I shower at least once a day, allthough at the moment twice due to my workout. I never wear the same set of cloths more than one day in a row. I guess like in many aspects of life, we Aspies tend to gravitate towards extremes. Either smelly and dirty or neat and clean.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 5:36 am

Hygiene is a very sensitive topic for me. I wash most of the time, but I also have a type of incontinence as well. That's why I don't care to talk about hygiene too much. To expect everybody to smell perfect at all times seems a bit much for me. Nobody's perfect.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

24 Sep 2011, 5:53 am

Joe90 wrote:
That's just another mystery of AS. This is why I don't like having it - this is a great example as to why it looks like all the symptoms are scattered about. It's like when they say Aspies have difficulties with time, yet they like to have a strict routine. WTF? Stupid AS! It doesn't make sense at all. Otherwise, I don't really know the answer is.

It makes perfect sense. Some of these things are symptoms and other things are compensation. Routines keep thing familiar and orderly. If you break the routine, everything goes to hell. Without a routine, time is extremely nebulous to me.

Quote:
But anyway - I have a sinus problem so I can't smell things as well as average, so all the more reason why I like to keep clean. But when I was a teenager I used to go out with unshaven legs, greasy hair, and not washed. But luckily my mum did try her best to prompt me with keeping myself clean, otherwise I don't think I would have keep it up now.

I think a lot of us had hygiene problems - I think I didn't get most of it down until I was 18 or 19, and there are other things that took longer. I don't know that it relates to smell - I think it's one of those disorganization/executive function things.

Twist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Sep 2011, 5:54 am

i shower and wash daily - i used to shower and wash 3times daily.

there's a difference between being clean / smelling like you should and being a bleached stretch of skin that smells like chemicals, personally i'd like to get down to a shower every twice a day because i think it's better for your health.

i smell of cannabis 24/7 but i can't tell at all, even if i smell my clothes - but any time i don't shower after exercising, the smell of smexy BO quickly becomes apparent.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 6:58 am

before i had A/C i had to shower twice daily. but i can't do any kind of physical work without working up a dripping oily sweat, so if i ride my bike i get stinky and must shower immediately afterwards. just doing calisthenics makes me drip with sweat. but here's the maddening thing- even after showering, after i'm dry i still have a weird smell which penetrates through the superficial soapy smell one gets after batheing. i guess i must reek from the inside-out. out in public i try not to stand too close to other people, so nobody will be able to smell me. i don't really get close enough to other people to be able to tell whether or not they have this weird smell also.

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 7:27 am

I have a very, very sensitive nose.

Perfumes, and artifical flavors in soaps and shampoos, do not mix well with human odors.

People who don't use scented soaps don't smell bad when they sweat.

People who shave their armpits and legs smell bad. Period. Those "unsightly" hairs? The let the sweat evaporate off before it becomes rancid (yucky smelling) and sticks to your skin.

Same goes for people who wear polyester and fabrics that do not breathe.

People who use deodorant smell double bad. It fills your sweat pores like glue, trapping your sweat inside. Trapped, it rots in place. So when the deodorant wears off, the smell that comes out is extra insanely disgusting. Making the [deodorant wearing sucker] think they need to aply more deodorant.

Unscented, plain old fasioned lard soap is the best (sorry, vegans). Pig fat is remarkably similar to human fat, and it does not leave a sticky residue that vegetable oil soaps leave. Therefore, no smells to adversely mix with the human smells.

Anyway, it isn't really the human smells that are offensive. It's human smells chemically reacting to all the chemical crap we put on ourselves every day that smells bad. Each by itself = not to bad.

Like bleach and ammonia. Both annoying smells. Mixed together, they are explosive. (or at least noxiously foaming.)

starryeyedvoyager
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 8:21 am

Burnbridge wrote:
I have a very, very sensitive nose.

Perfumes, and artifical flavors in soaps and shampoos, do not mix well with human odors.

Amen to that. I use unperfumed sheep- or goatmillk soap, and since I switched, I barely start smelling at all. From my own perspective, I still have very dominant body odour, but it has become way better after ditching AXE.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 8:58 am

i shower almost daily, using unscented or low-scent shower cream, and i also use deodorant every time; reapplying it if there is something i need to do with others after dinner.
i do use anti-transpire deodorant, becouse i cannot stand the feeling of little droplets of any liquid on my skin, especially under my arms.

retrom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Sep 2011, 12:36 pm

When I was just starting high school I had a real problem with showering in the morning cause I just wanted more sleep so I would often skip it.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 2:13 pm

My hygiene is really not that great. I have to be constantly reminded to do the stuff that everyone else seems to remember with ease... like, y'know, brush teeth and wear deodorant. I've gotten better at it than I used to be. I make it a point to shower every day, for example, but my knowledge of personal grooming habits is very limited when compared other females of my age group. I do the basics and can't be bothered to do much more.

As for my sense of smell, it is very poor. I don't smell much of anything due to a long history of sinus infections and allergies.

Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Sep 2011, 4:52 pm

Burnbridge wrote:

This.

No scented products are allowed in my home. It makes me sneeze, get headaches, and feel nauseous depending on the smell. I'm not the best at keeping up with hygiene. I shower 3 times a week on average. I hate the moist/drippy feeling on my skin after I turn the water off. I try to brush my teeth everyday, but as a kid I went long periods of time without doing it.

KathySilverstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Sep 2011, 1:44 am

I too am very sensitive to artificial smells, can't stand them. Glad to see I'm not alone here.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 2:36 am

artificial smells to me, are much less offensive than natural smells. i'd prefer the smell of a factory to a smell of a fart anyday. a stinky bus is less offensive than a stinky butt.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

27 Sep 2011, 4:52 am

I can tolerate some scents, but not all. Some will literally chase me out of the room and others are tolerable and barely noticeable. I have not been able to find good unscented bath supplies, unfortunately.