Any ideas on handling auditory sensitivity in class?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

lovelyboy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Sep 2011, 11:36 pm

My DS is really having a hard time in class because of all the noise! he is already positioned close to the door with lovely quiet boy next to him. But boy is he struggling to focus and stay calm :( !
Any ideas what to do? Maybe take a walk? Earphones? If so, what type of music? white noise? I am trying to make an appointment with teacher, so any input will be appresiated!

thanx :D

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

25 Sep 2011, 11:52 pm

have you tried an auditory trainer??
basicly it is like a hearing aid but it blocks out all other noise than the one wearing the microphone which would be the teacher and sound is sent to the reciever by radiowaves. If he keeps the volume really low, it might help
make sure he gets the ear mold that fills the outer ear not the in the canal molds.

I suggest that you take him to an audiologist to see what they can fit him with to block out background noise.

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 11:13 am

We just have ear muff type ear protectors, the type people use for shooting sports and the like. All they do is muffle the noise, they don't block it out. They are far from cool looking but they are inexpensive. At 5 my DS isn't worried yet about how he looks. Would a hand fidget help him calm? Like just a little worry stone or something that he could hold and rub or a small squeezy toy. That might give him another outlet for the anxiety.

lovelyboy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Sep 2011, 10:52 pm

The OT gave him some rubber that we have put onto the back of his school pencils, but he doesn t like the taste.....
He has ruend his school shirts, he bites the corner of his shirt under his chin...he has bitten 2 buttons in half, he even licked out the inner lining...he has started to chew the top material on his shoulder......
He says its the noice that gets to him!
I was thinking maybe he can get permission to leave the class for a walk if it gets to much?

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 8:47 am

Google "chewelry" there are some hard plastic pendants for necklaces that probably don't taste like anything. See if giving him other stims may help - a rubber band across his chair, etc. There are whole stores set up to offer sensory input devices. It's possible if he has something to distract him, the noise may bother him less.

Otherwise, you need to find ways to reduce the sound, and headphones, etc. are one. We discussed trying the foam earplugs with DS in school, but he decided against it - but we do use those, plus a hoodie sweatshirt with the hood up - when he's going to see a movie.

I am sorry your son is so distressed - this was something that seemed to get less over time with my son - it ramps up when he's stressed, but now that he's learning to manage himself a lot of the sensory stuff seems to be less of an issue.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 11:20 am

"Musician's earplugs" might help. They're custom-made to filter out certain frequencies of sound (ideally the ones that bother your son the most) and let everything else come through normally.

jojobean wrote:
have you tried an auditory trainer??
basicly it is like a hearing aid but it blocks out all other noise than the one wearing the microphone which would be the teacher and sound is sent to the reciever by radiowaves.

Is this also called an FM System?

Love transcends all.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 11:40 am

animalcrackers wrote:
"Musician's earplugs" might help. They're custom-made to filter out certain frequencies of sound (ideally the ones that bother your son the most) and let everything else come through normally.

Wow, just did a google - those are really cool! I wonder if DS would like them - we may have to try them out!

lovelyboy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Sep 2011, 11:26 pm

Thanx for all your input! in hour country they don t even know what S I really means! by Godsend acsident I found a chewelery, not ment for SI by the sop at a craft shop! but he liked the piece of silicon that I baught at baby store best! doesn t look attractive but very effective!
I am going to phone the audialigists today :) !
Just think my son is in bad space at the moment, started to complain about being bullied again ass well :(