Democrat Governor floats idea of Suspending Elections

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 1:45 am

File this in the random-things-politicians-say file. Speaking to a Cary Rotary Club today, N.C. Gov. Bev Perdue suggested suspending Congressional elections for two years so that Congress can focus on economic recovery and not the next election.

"I think we ought to suspend, perhaps, elections for Congress for two years and just tell them we won't hold it against them, whatever decisions they make, to just let them help this country recover. I really hope that someone can agree with me on that," Perdue said. "You want people who don't worry about the next election."

The comment -- which came during a discussion of the economy -- perked more than a few ears. It's unclear whether Perdue, a Democrat, is serious -- but her tone was level and she asked others to support her on the idea. (Read her full remarks below.)

Read more: http://projects.newsobserver.com/under_ ... z1ZE8wPWi8

Well can't say I'm surprised.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 12:30 pm

It does underscore a serious problem: representatives are always in election mode. Does the frequency of elections to the House continue to serve the interests of the electorate?

The issue is moot, given Article 1 section 2 of the Constitution. But that does not mean that it is not a subject worthy of discussion.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 1:11 pm

I assume the idiot who proposed that Congressional elections be suspended took an oath to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution. What a jackass!

Congress does not have the power to suspend elections. This can only be done by Constitutional amendment or an outright coup d'etat.

ruveyn

Wayne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2011, 1:21 pm

We got through the Civil War and WWII without suspending any elections. Anyone who proposes suspending elections because of our current "crisis" is a jackass.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 1:57 pm

visagrunt wrote:
It does underscore a serious problem: representatives are always in election mode. Does the frequency of elections to the House continue to serve the interests of the electorate?

The issue is moot, given Article 1 section 2 of the Constitution. But that does not mean that it is not a subject worthy of discussion.

10 points for visagrunt! :)

It was not a serious suggestion, but rather a commentary on the continual election cycle and how campaigning seriously hinders governing.

From the same article:

Quote:
Later Tuesday afternoon, Perdue's office clarified the remarks: "Come on," said spokeswoman Chris Mackey in a statement. "Gov. Perdue was obviously using hyperbole to highlight what we can all agree is a serious problem: Washington politicians who focus on their own election instead of what’s best for the people they serve."

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 3:10 pm

ruveyn wrote:
I assume the idiot who proposed that Congressional elections be suspended took an oath to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution. What a jackass!

Congress does not have the power to suspend elections. This can only be done by Constitutional amendment or an outright coup d'etat.

ruveyn

Was the person who first proposed the direct election of Senators in violation of an oath to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution?

Just because a proposal cannot be undertaken within the current constitutional framework does not mean that it is foolish to discuss a proposal that might have, as its method of achieving a policy goal, the amendment of the constitution.

So back to my question. Is there merit in a Constitutional amendment to extend the terms of Representatives?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 4:28 pm

visagrunt wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Was the person who first proposed the direct election of Senators in violation of an oath to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution?

Just because a proposal cannot be undertaken within the current constitutional framework does not mean that it is foolish to discuss a proposal that might have, as its method of achieving a policy goal, the amendment of the constitution.

So back to my question. Is there merit in a Constitutional amendment to extend the terms of Representatives?

Proposals are hot air. To do the thing, the Constitution must be amended.

ruveyn

Nil_Nil
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Sep 2011, 4:36 pm

Merit can be twisted into any form. I agree that the manner in which this statement was made and then followed by the "just kidding" defense points to this person being a jackass on this particular day, that's how I took it. It is foolish to discuss extending terms which detracts from the very recent priorities stated by the Democratic Party and the President. :lol: Oh wait a minute. :lol:

johansen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Sep 2011, 2:13 pm

"democratic" governor suggests suspending democracy to get things done. I have seen this before.