Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 6:51 am

There could be a valid reason why they don't want Callista there-insurance. They may see you as an injury risk. Cats scratch and bite and their mouths can be nasty. Since they won't hire you, they see you as a possible insurance claim waiting to happen, if you got bit.

I would venture, though, that they are control freaks. What makes them uncomfortable, is your different appearance. Hell, maybe it's not your appearance, maybe it's your conscience. You could be a daily reminder that they aren't spending time entertaining the animals and that hurts their ego. Maybe it makes them feel like crap when they have to put the cats to sleep.
It's too bad. It may help people looking to adopt a kitty to see them playing.

Corcovado
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 7:28 am

I feel so sorry for you, I remember you posting about this earlier. I liked that you walked away from that guy while he was still talking. That's a sign of strength and anger in the NT world.

Is there a animals rights organisation were you live? Maybe they can help you help some other cats. Were I live there are certain places were people can go and feed wild cats in the city. And our organisation - Animal Protection - pays for the food.

Do you have a cat of your own?

P.S.

I have two cats and a third has begun coming inside to eat, I have sort of adopted him, and his fur feels so much better now, and he's not so shy. Then the neighbours cat sometimes comes in, but that's because they forget to let her in when they go to work.

CaseyJ400
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Sep 2006, 7:49 am

[quote="KimJ"]There could be a valid reason why they don't want Callista there-insurance. They may see you as an injury risk. Cats scratch and bite and their mouths can be nasty. Since they won't hire you, they see you as a possible insurance claim waiting to happen, if you got bit.

Good point, I didn't think of that. I wonder what other shelters do to get around that. I've heard that some shelters do have volunteers to come in and keep the pets stimulated to prevent them from shying away from perspective owners.

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 12:39 pm

Every animal operation I've ever worked for used volunteers. They're always short of money and there's always things that they can use help with, unless maybe it's one of those movie star hobby type places.

I would say there's something fishy about that place, but then the cats would all be happy.

Aspie kids always grow up to be adult aspies. Bullies often grow up to be adult bullies, and some of the people they were bullying grow up to be the worst of all, trying to get even.

There's some bad people out there, and not all of them are in jail. I think you ran into some of them.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

Hazelwudi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 12:57 pm

Would it be possible to make a stink about it in your local paper? If you do, they might take you on as a volunteer, just to get the negative publicity to stop.

lae
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 9:36 pm

There should be more people like you in the world, Callista. You were making those cats' lives better.
It's a real shame those people acted that way.

Hazelwudi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 10:17 pm

I think I can explain their thought processes, based off the general thought processes of people I've known who behave in the way the people at the shelter did.

"She wouldn't be here so much if she wasn't getting something out of it."

"But what could she possibly be getting out of it? Why would an adult female spend her time doing this, when there's no real reward for doing so?"

"There's no reason.... and that means she's just being irrational."

"She must have... mental problems... and I don't want to have to deal with it. And besides, if she's got mental problems, who knows what she might do one day?"

Now you know and I know that there is a reason... she honestly cares about the animals. And that should be sufficient... but to an NT, I fear it would be largely incomprehensible.

Since when did most NT's understand giving a damn about anything, unless it either results in a tangible reward, or fellates the ego through enhancing their image in the eyes of self/others?

Exactly.

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 11:21 pm

They should not have kicked you out. They have no good reason for it, maybe you should demand to know why they won't allow you to volunteer at the shelter?

appassionata
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Sep 2006, 7:08 am

That is so mean !

Your visiting sessions were good for the cats as well as you. What you did for them was kind, thoughtful and must have been a comfort in an otherwise dull and boring existence.

Their explanation sounds a bit odd. I could understand that they might not want regular visitors for insurance reasons, but if that was the case, why not say so?

I'm wondering if the real reason might be that the regular employees there – the ones who do not give the cats any attention – realize that they look bad in comparison to you and might want you out of the picture. (It's only a guess, but some people are like that).

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2006, 9:33 am

appassionata wrote:
That is so mean !

I'm wondering if the real reason might be that the regular employees there – the ones who do not give the cats any attention – realize that they look bad in comparison to you and might want you out of the picture. (It's only a guess, but some people are like that).

I'll bet this is the real reason. I, too have gotten in trouble for making others look bad, without even knowing I was doing that ... just doing what I do.

Rarely does a truly good deed go unpunished. This is really despicable. I doubt if stirring up a hornets nest of negative media coverage would help you, at all. BUT it may bring enough attention to the problem to help the cats in the long run.

You might try to find out what legal ( state, county, city ) liabilities the shelter would be exposed to by using volunteers and try to address those issues, directly.

TheGreyBadger
Toucan
Toucan

21 Sep 2006, 9:50 am

I am SO sorry to hear about that! It seems to me the person running the shelter can't permit anything he doesn't have a space on his forms for, or anything that doesn't fit the way he is running things. This is just like the government officials during Hurricane Katrina who turned away volunteers bringing food and water and medical aid because they were "not authorized to do so."

What can you do about the cats at the shelter? One thing I do a lot is write letters to the editor of the local newspaper. Just the facts -- that you tried to volunteer at the animal shelter and were told there was no provision for volunteers, so came in as a visitor and were kicked out - for trying to help. Then I usually follow with a question on how to fix this. Like, "since the animal shelter is overwhelmed with unwanted animals, is there some way to get a volunteer program going?"

Is there an Animal Humane Association in your region? I'll bet they could help.

I do hope you find some way to help the homeless cats.

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2006, 10:35 am

Callista wrote:
Today I went to the shelter to see the cats and kittens. I asked about doing petfinder.com ads for the cats, and again they said the person I had to talk to wasn't in, even though it was the hours they told me he'd be in.

I have been going there two or three times weekly, for three hours or so at a time, to play with the cats, hold them, just generally spend time with them. I also brought a dangle toy and some treats.

I couldn't do any more because when I first came there, they said they had no volunteer program; but that the shelter was open to visitors. So I became a "visitor".

After I had spent a little time with the cats, one of the employees called me into the office and told me that a man wanted to speak to me. I don't remember either one of their names; maybe they were never said. The man had gray hair and it seemed like he might be in charge.

He told me that visitors were starting to think I might be an employee; and that anyone who spent this much time at the shelter would have to be either an employee or a volunteer. They were starting to think I worked there.

"But you don't have a volunteer program," I said. "No, we don't," he agreed. And they can't/won't hire me.

He was trying to be polite about it, I suppose; but what I heard was a lot of beating around the bush, to the effect that "We don't want you here."

So I said, "I'm leaving now," and left. He was still talking. I did this because otherwise I would have started crying and that is very impolite.

I did cry on the way home. I'm glad no one heard me, because I must have sounded more like a wolf howling than a human being. I suppose I had a grade-A meltdown...

I don't understand that they won't let me come anymore.

I'm not doing any harm to the cats. They like me, and I like them.

Maybe I'm not doing much good, either; but surely it must get lonely and boring living in a cage all day? At least I'm a diversion... at least they get petted (if they want it) or played with (if they're interested) or at the very least a kitty treat... I've never seen any of the shelter employees playing with or even touching a cat. All they ever do is change the litter and feed the cats.

They put cats to sleep because they have too many cats and not enough funds... and they won't let anyone help them with the cats, even though people like me would do it for free, and wouldn't get in anyone's way. So they go on putting cats to sleep...

I wonder whether there have been other offers of help, maybe even by people who were more experienced than me, and could have done more? I wonder how many cats have had to die because these people just want things the way they are, and want to run their shelter their way and not accept any help... Have these people desensitised themselves so completely that they no longer make any effort to make sure their cats leave the shelter in a carrier and not a garbage bag?

I understand some cats have to be put to sleep; if they're too wild or sick, they're completely unadoptable, it's not kind to make them live out their whole lives in cages. But some cats have a chance; and shouldn't they have every chance they can get? It's not their fault they weren't wanted.

I know I look a little weird. I have short hair and I'm fat and I'm socially and physically clumsy... Maybe I look ret*d or something, though I'm only Asperger's. But I like cats, and I know how to take care of them, and I'm not stupid or incompetent.

I'm crying again just typing this... I know the cats' lives will go on without me, of course; but is it so wrong to want to give them a little bit of attention, just so living in that kitten orphanage isn't so dull?

Callista, it probably isn't about YOU. Although I can relate to the experience of being tossed out of volunteer job because people think you are not fitting in. This happened to me once. But I think in this case, it might be a different issue entirely. I heard that certain shelters, the ones that put animals to sleep, get paid from government or city and other sources depending on how many animals they put down. I've heard this is the way that the SPCA works. The local SPCA where I live recently stopped their volunteer program because of some inexplicable reason. Well the reason is because kill shelters do not want volunteers cozying up to the animals they need to put down in order to get paid. This would create possible conflict between people who genuinely care about the animals, the outside community, and the actual job the shelter gets paid to do.

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2006, 11:02 am

did they say they don't want you there at all. maybe it was just because you were there an amount of time that seemed inapropriate to them.

When they put animals to sleep because they have not been adopted is usually because they
1. can't afford to feed/house them all
2. don't have enough space.

I know of a few (dumb)reasons shelters don't want voluenters. Volunteers are usually untrained and can be more likely to make mistakes. Volunteers get attached to animals that will be put down or put up for addoption. they don't want to be responsible if anything happens to the volunteer...

davethecave
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Sep 2006, 6:37 pm

I wonder if it might be worth trying for a compromise.

How about approaching the management and suggesting they allow your visits on a time restricted basis....maybe an hour each day or something. Give them the responsibility of telling them when it is time for you to leave. Perhaps early in the morning or late afternoon might be more convenient.

I would guess that they are afraid for your welfare, You say you look a little different and your interest in the cats is a bit extreme by NT standards.
They must know that you are intellegent and articulate, yet somehow you are different. Its the un-known that scares people most.

I feel quite sad because there are lots of animal shelters that would welcome the help that you are prepared to offer.

Johnnie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2006, 7:20 pm

They don't do anything more than feed them so they don't become attached to them.

There is no warm & fuzzy way to says this, but it had nothing to do with you, they knew the day was coming that they had to do the nasty part of the job. You being around and getting attached to them just made their hard job even harder. It tore them up having to run you out of there, but they had little choice because putting it off only made things worse.

Don't be mad at them, they don't enjoy the job and sinse there are so many idiots who aren't responsable pet owners or get pets and decide they are too much trouble, somebody gets stuck cleaning up the mess.

They just found 80 cats in a house near me, some idiot too stupid to get their cats fixed let them breed like rabbits and they over ran the house. Somebody gets stuck doing the nasty job because there is no way to find homes for that many and others just keep coming in daily a few at a time.

Johnnie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2006, 7:28 pm

supporting petfinder.com just relieves the idiots pet owners of guilt, they can think they can just drop them off and petfinder will find them a good home,so won't think nothing of getting a pet and not worrying about dumping it off at a shelter because they will find it a home :roll:

It won't be like hey Mom can you take care of my cat I'm moving into a place that doesn't allow pets and the mother will say oh just take it to petfinder.com they find good homes for all the unwanted pets. Now both people are guilt free, the pet owner and the person the pet owner asked to help them out. Most likely the pet doesn't find a new home and the jerks who figured they would just dump their problme on somebody else can pretend everything worked out just fine because petfinder.com bailed them out. :twisted: