Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 5:27 pm

I used to work night shift at target and it was pretty decent. I like being awake on my off days when nobody else is and sleeping while everyone is awake. (though they were loud sometimes which bothered me but i dont think it would in our new house)

Anyways...where can i get a night job? Preferably from those who have or are working night times.

I got that night job from working days getting layed off and then they offered me nights.

I would be willing to do mostly anything.

Also seems like fewer people would be willing to work a night job so more likely for me to get it?

Suggestions if you have them.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 7:46 pm

I applied to a local target once or twice, and I was willing to work nights, but I have since injured my knee and moving heavy things consistently makes it swell up, rendering me useless. So i'm now looking for something less physical.

But they do not have me

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 7:53 pm

ya wasn't a bad job but they cut my hours to less then a day a week and one of the bosses was insulting me on lunch breaks so i quit =/

opening all those boxes all day made me really itchy =/ i guess from the powder given off from the cardboard?

kwilky
Raven
Raven

02 Oct 2011, 7:07 am

I would love a night job. I think that's the only type of job I could handle. I'd work night shift at a fast food place if someone would hire me. I think it would be super boring but I'd do it. I'd prefer working in a warehouse or something though. The only problem is I don't have a car so I'm stuck in this little area and there isn't much around here and the public transportation isn't very good. If I could just make it out to orlando I'd be better off I think.

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 11:43 am

Thinking a little bit I jusy remember the following works that use night shifts: 24 hours stores or restaurants, hospitals, security agencies, night clubs. You can try applying in that kind of places.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 11:46 am

Ilka wrote:
Thinking a little bit I jusy remember the following works that use night shifts: 24 hours stores or restaurants, hospitals, security agencies, night clubs. You can try applying in that kind of places.

well night club is somewhere i'd never work...too loud.

tried hospital but should again....

have tried security but haven't gotten any bites

i should try safeway again...maybe shari's.

xmh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2011, 1:23 pm

Quote:
I'd work night shift at a fast food place

Depending on location it may be busy (and unpleasant) at pub/club closing time.

A lot of night jobs (retail/ foodservice/ hotel/ security) will involve dealing with difficult (drunk etc.) customers and will require strong social skills to defuse situations in an amicable way.

Quote:
public transportation isn't very good.

Public transport is probably worst for jobs that finish/start in the early hours of the morning, rather than those that work finish in the morning (when the day transport starts up).

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 10:31 pm

I worked at an airline reservation's office for years...great night shift work! I loved it. My cousin, who is of course an Aspie, has been working at the airport for over 20yrs now...night shifts as well. We both loved it. Also, grocery stores, possibly FedEx, UPS, etc...might have night shifts at their warehouse. Hotels are also great, especially small local motels where there aren't a lot of people, etc...Walgreens too!

Good luck!

kwilky
Raven
Raven

03 Oct 2011, 1:13 pm

xmh wrote:
Quote:
I'd work night shift at a fast food place

Depending on location it may be busy (and unpleasant) at pub/club closing time.

A lot of night jobs (retail/ foodservice/ hotel/ security) will involve dealing with difficult (drunk etc.) customers and will require strong social skills to defuse situations in an amicable way.

Quote:
public transportation isn't very good.

Public transport is probably worst for jobs that finish/start in the early hours of the morning, rather than those that work finish in the morning (when the day transport starts up).

Ya you're right. I don't know what else to do though.... Everything is always customer service. There is no way in hell I could ever do a customer service job during the day shift. I just wanna be behind the scenes putting junk on shelves or something....

BasilSquire
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Oct 2011, 12:48 pm

I work as a security controller, its great! I get to work nights, most of the time on my own. Everything is in writing and highly structured, and most of the time I can do whatever I like during quiet periods, usually researching my special interests online :)

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 2:16 pm

I had a job running a TV Station control room for several years and wound up running nights. Basically I ran the video switchboard console that operated the show tapes and commercial breaks and I recorded the new episodes off satellite feeds. It was okay for a while but some of the late night shows were so awful it was starting to get to me. Mostly having to watch Maury Povich every night was driving me crazy. I eventually got fired by new management and then later that manager quit and left the station.

For now to be employed I have this crazy interstate driving job, and often I get night drives which I enjoy. It can be nice cruising down the highway or through big cities at night while listening to late night talk radio and sipping coffee.

syed2011
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Oct 2011, 11:30 pm

i agree with Ilka's reply,

you can also try in Airport Customer Service jobs etc.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 12:30 am

I've seen some guys driving Street Sweeper trucks around super market or shopping mall parking lots I wonder how you get into that.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Oct 2011, 2:13 am

Have had two cleaning jobs at night. One cleaning in McDonalds, another cleaning an office building. Didn't work for me. Would also expect working as a baker could be a good night job. Any 24 hour business (7-11, service station, etc) would need grave yard shift staff. Shelf stacking in large retail outlets.

RyanGPenner
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Oct 2011, 1:11 am

Try getting a job in security, they're always desperate for guards to fill night shifts.

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2011, 1:35 am

I did that, I worked like 5 hours at burger king one night. When everbody was busy, snuck out the door and took off. later BK