Page 5 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 11:24 am

Last time I checked, we were all human beings. So why would our appearance be any different in general? We are neurologically different to the NT, that's it.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jul 2012, 1:29 am

Seventh wrote:
Is it just me, or do aspies tend to be good looking? We often don't have fashion sense, but a lot of aspies have attractive faces. That's just my impression anyway, which I got from attending a local AS meeting, from aspie friends and from seeing people's pics and videos online.

No.

I haven't met or seen an attractive Aspie.

The rates of attractiveness are no different than any other population group.

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 10:48 am

When the diagnosticians say autistic people have an "attractive appearance" they just mean that there aren't any obvious physical indicators of autism like a consistent autistic "look" that includes, say, a pronounced epicanthal fold, a flat nose and short stature. Autistic people appear to be physically normal.

I, however, am really hot. :wink:

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 1:19 pm

Esperanza wrote:
When the diagnosticians say autistic people have an "attractive appearance" they just mean that there aren't any obvious physical indicators of autism like a consistent autistic "look" that includes, say, a pronounced epicanthal fold, a flat nose and short stature. Autistic people appear to be physically normal.

I, however, am really hot. :wink:

It's not the diagnosticians who started it: It was Kanner and Asperger, and from their descriptions autistic people appeared "angelic" or "elven" which is a step above "not ugly".

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

acentupleflat
Raven
Raven

15 Oct 2012, 3:03 am

not neccesarily, but when we are were normally at odds handling compliments lol

Confused101
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Oct 2012, 3:07 am

I wish but i am pretty much all cheeks with a couple of eyes chucked in for good measure :D

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 6:26 am

I have noticed that people on the spectrum (not exclusively Aspies) tend to have nice faces.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 6:32 am

when i was young i was often told i'm very pretty, but then my nt sister is prettier.

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 6:38 am

I dont think there is likely to be a trend in physical features in a brain condition tbh.

In my case, with hindsight, I think I was actually quite good looking at 18-20. Ironically I had zero confdence in the way I looked back then. I am now 30 with a bit more weight on me and massive bags under my eyes from years of sleeping problems but feel more comfortable with myself than I did back then.

Alexithymia: 137

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 6:45 am

Si_82 wrote:
I dont think there is likely to be a trend in physical features in a brain condition tbh.

I'm not so sure. I've met several Autistic people who look very similar to an other Autistic.

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 7:36 am

Curiotical wrote:
Si_82 wrote:

I'm not so sure. I've met several Autistic people who look very similar to an other Autistic.

This was discussed in another thread and I though it sounded more a case of aspies often having similar blank facial expressions rather than physical/feature similarities. If there are similarities in that way I would be very interested in finding out more though.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 4:58 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... order.html

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 5:33 pm

I think it's all a load of bunk with one obvious exception.

That is ASpies that are on the more social end of the spectrum are far better looking, espcially woman. Due to the obvious which is someone is more willing to deal with someone a bit off, if they atleast look normal.

Less attractive people have a much harder time.

I'm a baby face, and it's obvious we get a much much more social forgiveness.

Just from shaving my head, to having longer hair I can see the major difference to how I'm treated.

In all of the AS girls, I've met, the good looking ones are atleast given a chance, and the unattractive ones are completely ignored.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 5:42 pm

AnotherKind wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2051749/Autism-Wider-eyes-broader-mouth-Scientists-identify-subtle-distinct-facial-characteristics-children-developmental-disorder.html
I'd be super skeptical of that type of research. Unless it specifically mentions race, and the gene pool from which these people come from.

Autistic, that get diagnosed, and those that are from wealthy backgrounds, are two very different groups of people..

A study by forbes, found that most c.e.o. tended to look a certain way, what they left out was thata large portion of the c.e.o.'s studied happened to be Ashkenazi Jews

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 5:44 pm

AnotherKind wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2051749/Autism-Wider-eyes-broader-mouth-Scientists-identify-subtle-distinct-facial-characteristics-children-developmental-disorder.html

Interesting. I wonder if this is covered in any more reputable publications. I tend not to trust the Daily Mail as a general rule. They have a terrible record especialy when it comes to 'reporting' medical and science research - Ben Goldacre has written much about this and I think he has a very good point and the qualifications to back it up.

http://www.badscience.net/2006/12/the-n ... /#more-334

...or his TED Talk version: http://www.ted.com/talks/ben_goldacre_b ... ience.html ...vert very funny too.

(No offence intended - just a BIG Daily Mail skeptic)

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 6:14 pm

Hear is the original source for that Mail article: http://www.molecularautism.com/content/2/1/15

It does seem there is a genuine observed correlation. Will be interested to see if this is supported by peer review also - that will be the clincher for me.