Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 8:23 am

I've been stepping at least an hour a day, sometimes an hour and a half. I started over two weeks ago. So far, no results. In fact, I've gained a little.

I don't know what to do.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 8:37 am

Running is the best exercise for cardiovascular health and weight loss. I go to a 24 hr. gym and run on a treadmill after working out with upper body weights. I usually workout around 11-12 at night when there is nobody around.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 10:26 am

no matter what type of aerobic [improving your body's oxygen handling capacity] exercise you do, you won't get weight loss unless you push your heart rate during the exercise, into the aerobic zone, as well as restrict your calories to beneath your basal metabolic rate. in addition, for some unlucky folk [like myself, damn it] the body quickly gets used to a rate of exertion and learns how to expend less calories exerting itself in whatever exercise one does, so the weight starts to pile back on unless one gradually ramps up the amount of exertion, which in my case meant i had to push my body to the extreme, for upwards of 2 hours, to where i am left panting, soaked in sweat and with heart pounding in my chest, every damned day, before the fat started to melt away to my satisfaction. the wii fit will actually satisfy the OP's weight loss goal ONLY IF 1] it builds calorie-burning muscle all over, and 2] it pushes you to a high level of exertion [where you are soaked in sweat and huffing/puffing with heart rate elevated into the aerobic zone].

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 10:32 am

I do get pretty soaked and I breathe heavily. Not gasping but an elevated respiration rate all the same.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 11:18 am

I think you might be able to get away with doing the Wii Fit stepping, but only if you get yourself some weights or exercise bands to do some strength training with. They can be pretty cheap if you go to the right places. Use those to build muscle--if you look thinner but have gained weight, this may be because you built muscle, which weighs more than fat. Also, you might do better (and have more fun) if you go for walks and runs. You may also want to get yourself an exercise video--these usually push harder than the Wii Fit.

Try to figure out your maximum heart rate, and your target heart rates for your exercising. This will help you by giving a concrete place where your heart rate needs to be for you to build muscle and lose fat.

What has helped me the most, however, has been eating a lot of fruits and vegetables and walking around a lot on campus. You want to look for foods with a high water and fiber content, since you will feel more full when your stomach is weighed down. Try getting the book Ten Years Younger. It has a lot of great recipes for putting in a lot of vegetables, including a really really REALLY good salad dressing. If you eat what it tells you to eat, you will feel much better (unless you're like my mom and your body is addicted to huge amounts of sugar). I discovered that I liked carrots.

Good luck!

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 12:53 pm

I wouldn't consider Wii Fit a method to losing weight but rather a tool to keep track of such and for general calisthenics.

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 1:14 pm

eff it. I'll just join a gym.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 1:25 pm

^^^
but gyms are expensive as well as time-consuming going back and forth to 'em every day. i lost much weight on multiple occasions sans gym. it can be done. but the real challenge is not losing the weight but KEEPING IT OFF. eliminating white foods [refined carbs and starchy things] and saturated fats is sooooo important. a word to the wise, is to NOT overuse a nordic track machine, those wrecked my back. use them only as part of an exercise regimen with other avenues.

Synecdoche
Toucan
Toucan

05 Oct 2011, 11:56 pm

Walk until you can walk-run. Then, do some walk-running until you can run.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2011, 7:39 am

slow and steady progress gets you to the finish line. i am the last person anybody would've ever thought could be reasonably fit, me who is allergic to sweat and strain. so i know the OP can do it, should he continue to strengthen his resolve. any method which 1] avoids overuse/trauma injuries, 2] burns more calories than is being taken in, and 3]builds calorie-consuming muscle and starts the virtuous circle of increased metabolism will get the OP where he wants to go.

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 8:22 pm

I had a 1.8 lb. gain at my meeting.

I'm stepping it up and writing down what I eat to make sure it's under 2,000 calories.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 11:22 pm

remember, not all calories are created equal. low-glycemic index foods are your true friends. saturated fats and refined carbs [anything white, not to put too fine point on it] are your enemies.

Synecdoche
Toucan
Toucan

09 Oct 2011, 8:48 am

MasterJedi wrote:
I had a 1.8 lb. gain at my meeting.

I'm stepping it up and writing down what I eat to make sure it's under 2,000 calories.

Don't tell me that. Tell it to yourself man.

You got this. You'll get in shape.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 12:03 pm

also remember that it takes anywhere from 20-40 minutes [for most folk] to get into the fat-burning aerobic zone. one must keep it up for at least a half hour AFTER reaching the zone. a good rule of thumb here, is that when you start dripping with sweat, start the stopwatch AT THAT POINT, and then go for another half-hour at least.

mapanoy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Oct 2011, 11:25 pm

MasterJedi wrote:
I've been stepping at least an hour a day, sometimes an hour and a half. I started over two weeks ago. So far, no results. In fact, I've gained a little.

I don't know what to do.

Do you eat the same or eat more?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 11:32 pm

the OP may be gaining muscle weight, and muscle weighs more than fat. he needs to keep at it without fail, for at least a month straight before his body will start to lose fat weight, assuming he is not eating quantities of foods which his body converts to body fat. not all calories are created equal, refined carbs tend to go right to the belly unless they are immediately worked off. also, if the OP were to do interval training where he pushes his body rhythmically to its peak of endurance then rests for a bit between each time, this will cause his body to start burning fat more than anything else he may do. he may also need to alternate routines on the wii fit, as his body may be learning how to more efficiently do a particular exercise and so will burn less calories than if it is kept off-balance by switching exercises regularly. just a thought.