Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 4:45 pm

Somehow I cannot wear jewellery. With a necklace I feel uncomfortable, the same applies for earrings or normal rings. It happens once in a while like for christmas or any other occasion where you have to "look good". Though I don't think I look better with it but weird. I really feel weird with it, not being me. The same for my hair: I didn't change it since childhood. A ponytale. I went 2 years ago to the hairdresser and everybody said it's nice, but I didn't felt like me, also looking in the mirror, it was like another person. So I let it grow again.
What are your experiences?

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 4:59 pm

I have some jewelry but it irritates my skin when I'm wearing necklaces, earrings, rings and so forth. I get rashes and I'm constantly aware of the fact that I'm wearing it. So no, jewelry doesn't interest me at all. I feel much better when I'm not wearing the stuff at all.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 5:45 pm

pokerface wrote:
I'm constantly aware of the fact that I'm wearing it.

Yes, this is very well said! Being constantly aware of it! Now my next question rises up: non-autistic women, are they also constantly aware of it? Maybe in another meaning, not feeling disturbed by but constantly aware of "looking good" or whatever the reason is behind?? Could it be, that autistic women feel another sort of awareness, but they feel both "aware of wearing it"?

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 5:55 pm

I don't know if non autistic woman are constantly aware of the fact that they are wearing jewelry, it doesn't seem to bother them. I think that a lot of autistic woman have a hightened physical sensitivity and are more prone to skin irritations. There are a lot of autistic woman who have problems with tight clothes and certain kinds of underwear. That's probably the same thing.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

07 Oct 2011, 6:47 pm

I only wear bracelets. Maybe the occasional earring, as long as it's stud style.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 8:12 pm

I never wear jewelry any more. I used to when I was younger but back then I though looks were more important than comfort. Now I think comfort if more important than looks.

The closest thing I come to wearing jewelry now is I wear a terrycloth wristband when I go out and I wear them on both wrists when I'm online because it makes my wrists more comfortable so they don't rub or press against anything.

I don't even have my ears pierced.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 9:01 pm

I wear earrings all the time. I always buy hypoallergenic ones so they never irritate my ears. I have accumulated a lot of necklaces and bracelets over the years as gifts, but I rarely wear them. It's not because I don't like them or because they irritate my skin - it's because I exercise a lot and I don't want them to get broken.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 9:30 pm

I love jewellery I have 5 rings and I wear bangles and if I remember I wear pendants I would feel bare without any on.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 9:47 pm

On a regular basis I wear my diamond studs and my medical alert bracelet ( i am epileptic).

Heavenite76
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Oct 2011, 9:54 pm

I have gone through phases. When I was young, I never seemed to be able to hang on to jewelry long enough to wear it more than once. At 11 I got my ears pierced, and that's when I got used to wearing earrings. I still wear them when I want to but not every day like I did in my teen years. I never wore rings until I got my high school ring. They usually bothered me, but this one was lightweight, and had a really narrow band, so I got used to it. That and the fact I was so proud of having something like all the popular kids, no matter how it bugged me I refused to take it off. In my early twenties I wore a ring on almost every finger of both hands, if I try that now it bugs me to no end so I don't do it. I just wear my wedding ring that I've had for 11 years. I feel naked without it, weird huh? Now that I think of it I don't wear much jewelry even though I make it as a way to relax. I think the question of whether or not to wear it is more of a personal preference than anything. My husband won't even wear a wedding ring because any type of jewelry bugs him to the point of insanity. (I suspect he may have a mild form of autism but not AS because he is very social.) so I say if you want to, wear it. If you don't, then don't. Real beauty is on the inside.

royalnerd
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Oct 2011, 10:25 pm

I only ever wear a UK flag wristband on my right arm. Anything else feels uncomfortable. I never take this thing off. That part of my arm hasn't gotten sunlight for years, haha.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 11:11 pm

If I put jewelry on it doesn't come off until it falls off.

Hyram_Inesh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Oct 2011, 11:17 pm

jewelry is cool 8)

kopetski
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Oct 2011, 3:40 am

I used to wear rings and hangers when I was in my rebellious phase (16 -22). Now I'm not wearing anything, I even took off my watch last year. I can't stand the stuff, it's like cutting off blood or feels like that 8O

fragaria
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Oct 2011, 2:05 pm

I also love jewelry especially rings.

DataJinx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Oct 2011, 3:52 pm

I avoided getting my ears pierced until I was in 6th grade.
And when I did get them pierced, they put the left one in at a weird angle so the back was stuck so I couldn't take them out.
I only was able to take them out a couple of years ago and I usually forget to put in earrings, so it's always really close to the holes closing.

I used to only wear the earrings, then my mom made me dress more feminine so I started to wear necklaces.
I wear hoop earrings most of the time and I've recently started wearing bracelets, but that's not too different from how I always wear scrunchies on my wrists so I can pull my hair back if I have to.