Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 3:55 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I am happiest with myself when I have lots of money (...) Why settle for less?

There was some guy got nailed to a tree a while back for suggesting people shouldn't be too enamored of money and should instead spend their time and energy on being good people.

His "good deeds" did not go unpunished. I, for one, have no desire to be nailed to a cross.

Ambivalence wrote:
He was right.

That is debatable.

Ambivalence wrote:
Fnord wrote:
As for being lucky: "Luck" is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. Thus, a person makes his or her own luck.

If that were true, the world would be full of happy people.

People generally do not prepare for opportunity, chasing instead their own idealistic fantasies and dreams of being discovered as the next Great Talent, thus setting themselves up for disappointment and misery. Unrealistic expectations - that is why the world is not full of happy people.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

bruinsy33
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2011, 4:51 pm

Grisha wrote:
I've told my story before so I'll spare you the details, but personally I attribute my success to the following things:

1. I developed a unique talent suited to my AS that was economically valuable.

2. I did not rely "climbing the corporate ladder" as my vehicle for meeting my objectives, I instead created my own niche independent of it.

3. Being aware of your weaknesses is almost as important as being aware of your strengths.

4. Entrepreneurship should be a very serious consideration, if you are relying on NTs to promote you or decide how much to pay you, you may be at a serious disadvantage.
Well said.Perhaps you may not have been successful had you attempted to climb the corporate ladder,that would seem to be something that would require a great deal of social confidence/skill.I agree about being aware of your weaknesses so you can work around them.An example,when it comes to dating or attempting to get in a relationship I now tend to focus on women who already seem to be highly interested in me so as a result less social manuvering is required on my part.I avoid places like bars which is the kind of setting that really exposes my weaknesses [my social awkwardness].

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 5:18 pm

bruinsy33 wrote:
An example,when it comes to dating or attempting to get in a relationship I now tend to focus on women who already seem to be highly interested in me so as a result less social manuvering is required on my part.I avoid places like bars which is the kind of setting that really exposes my weaknesses [my social awkwardness].

That's what I try to do too - but beware, sometimes a woman can be "highly interested" in you for reasons other than the ones you thought she was - I learned this lesson the hard way. :roll:

Read Machiavelli, and realize the "Prince" may also be a "Princess"... :wink: