Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 12:25 am

Hi everyone. It's been a while since I've been here.

Came across this and was wondering: have any of you seen this, and if so, what do you think?

https://www.stopcallingitautism.org/

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 12:30 am

i agree with stop calling it autism when it is an allergy or vaccine reaction.

if someone thinks their autism or their child's autism is caused by those things, fine, but don't call it autism. it wouldn't be it.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 12:32 am

I clicked on the link and closed the browser window after seeing this, because I really don't need to see anything more:

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 12:35 am

conundrum wrote:
Hi everyone. It's been a while since I've been here.

Came across this and was wondering: have any of you seen this, and if so, what do you think?

https://www.stopcallingitautism.org/

My sister once pointed out that I was using the word "rain boots" when I actually meant "galoshes".You see while galoshes are sometimes called rain boots, it's generally not correct to call rain boots galoshes. Galoshes refer to a water proof device that can be slipped over shoes or boots, while rain boots generally are worn as the shoe or boot....

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 12:48 am

Jory wrote:
I clicked on the link and closed the browser window after seeing this, because I really don't need to see anything more:

Which disease are they referring to, and where is the empirical evidence to back up their claim?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 1:41 am

AUTISM ACCORDING TO SCIA
1. SCIA believes that children with autism suffer from an ongoing
inflammatory process in different regions of the brain produced
by microglial activation.

FAIL

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 1:57 am

Seriously. The jargon there is just a fancy way of saying autism is a form of brain injury.

You get microglial activation anytime there's damage to the brain and spinal cord. They're the cleanup system--they cart away damaged cells, like if you have an SCI or a stroke. Autism just doesn't act like a brain injury.

The "ongoing inflammatory process" idea is bunk, too. If that were the case, you'd have autistics with a constant degenerative process, kind of like what you might see with Alzheimer's. But that's not what you see with autism at all. Autism causes atypical development from the beginning, and autistics overwhelmingly show improvement, not degeneration, as they grow and learn.

The idea of "autoimmune brain injury" might be relevant for Heller syndrome, with its dramatic regression after typical development (though I tend to think the mechanism is much more likely to be something like it is with Rett's). But for regular autism, with atypical development, with the tendency to lose access to skills only under stress/burnout, if at all... it's not a relevant idea.

I think this is just a bunch of parents thinking they can somehow turn their undesirably autistic children into the regular children they really want, and using jargon to justify it.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 2:57 am

Quote:
Recent evidence suggests that immune system dysfunction may be an important part of the disease and contribute to your child's symptoms. Participation in the study may shed light on any immune system dysfunction that your child may have. This information can be used by your child's health care provider in the decision making process regarding your child's care.

Far as I know my immune system is working, and has always worked fine, I rarely get sick and have always been pretty healthy. I might get the flu once every five years and one or two colds a year but that's it.

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 6:52 am

That's just another way for people to take advantage of parents who are in denial.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 7:07 am

What do they think of autistic adults though? Do they think they had some "immune system dysfunction" since they were a child that no doctor ever noticed?

I think this site is bs.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 8:50 am

Yet another group of parents of LFA's who just cling to the hope that someday they'll have a normal little snowflake.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 9:57 am

They called it a disease, stopped reading it.

LemonPieForAPirate
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Oct 2011, 10:02 am

Jory wrote:

WHAT the FCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

I have officially travelled back into the year of 1692

Man, im lost for thought at this. Maybe if i repent real hard ill be cured and my soul will be returned to me. Like, wtf. Who comes up with this horseshite

LemonPieForAPirate

09 Oct 2011, 10:08 am

Lol did anyone see the videos ''Daniel cured from autism'' in the Autism can be beaten section. like wtf XD is this real? im really, is this a genuine thing? its just so stupid

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 10:12 am

Snake-oil salesmen.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 10:24 am

This is what treating autism under the medical model will do he or she will not be listened to and neurotypical people tend to treat kinds of autistic people in a less than humane way. This is wrong and has to stop. The using the don't take him serious hes got a mental condition- type attitude and taking a neurotypical's side in a conflict only serves to alienate autistic people. This stupid piece of anti autistic propaganda Stop calling it autism website) is offensive and should be stopped so before anyone says ohh its the PC brigade at it again trying to stifle freedom of speech. People should think those on and off the autistic spectrum. It is time that we Autistic/Asperger syndrome people will not tolerate any neurotypical atttempt to change our brains' fundamental operating system as an atrocity and a crime against humanity. What I agree with the full celebration and embracement of autistic and Asperger syndrome culture and remember that notable inventors had autism/Asperger syndrome such as Albert Einstein, Nikola Tesla who had Asperger syndrome and worked inventing alternating current in around 1910 which beat out on Edisions DC system of electricity supply and also had plans for trapping electricity from the sky and High Frequency Active Auroral Research Project and was shelved. Mozart was autistic. Some of our species greatest inventions come about through the use of the Asperger syndrome or other kind of autism first before taking in other creative factors such as the Dampkring Effect in autistic people powerful creative tool that can be utilised by the autistic person and allowing him or her to used his or her stims which may be an expression of excitement, or in deep thought that may have a creative conclusion. We autistic people have been labelled as having no soul and no empathy but no one has empathised with us as our needs are still being passed Some autisic people including some Asperger syndrome people have had better lives than others depending on age. It was worse in the 1960s when I was a baby to be considered with any kind of developmental disability you could find yourself put into some kind of institution that calls itself a hospital but has the residents left to their devices and that the staff uses them like human punchbags and called names such as weirdo,mong or ret*d or if the aspiphobe finds normal intelligence then he or she make an accusation of being a paedo or other pervert (scapegoating) which actually by neurology the neurotypical forms that psychological profile perfectly due to extremely high social skills needed for such wickedness is illlogical. Just because the person does not appear to conform to the neurotypical norm even if the behaviour makes perfect sense in the context of autism is not something to be pathologised. or blaming vaccines for something which is an operating system is completely illlogical. Allow us to be ourselves and stop pathologising lack of eye contact, This to a person on the autistic spectrum is normal except between close intimates. It's a fact hatred of autistic people and also Aspiphobia is a despicable scourge on the human species and should to seek to eliminate neurobigotry including seeing the attack of Autistic adults and children not as petty but as serious a hate crime as racism or anti semitism. inciting Aspiphobia should be a criminal offence that is enforceable worldwide. If we have the responsibility then we should be given such as the civil rights for Autistic and Asperger syndrome people and the penultimate on is the autistic rights movement (last Civil rights movement if you don't include the legalise cannabis groups.) :idea: