Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Oct 2011, 11:21 am

Same happens to me.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Oct 2011, 11:33 am

I don't think this is just an Aspie thing by any means, many NTs I know complain about school not being as easy as memorising lyrics.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 9:43 am

Not particularly, but my special talent is knowing what year a song was released between 1-3 yrs. My coworkers sometimes quiz me and I rarely screw up.

TheMatrixHasYou
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Oct 2011, 11:42 am

The_Walrus wrote:
I don't think this is just an Aspie thing by any means, many NTs I know complain about school not being as easy as memorising lyrics.

I'm thinking along the good long term memory and good rote memory thing that many aspies have, hence why I find it easy to memorize lyrics and being able to remember them for a long time. :)

Madrona
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jan 2019, 12:04 pm

I have always been able to memorize song lyrics. By the time I was 10, I knew all the words to all of the James Bond theme songs, the Beetles, a huge number of 1940s and 1950s love songs.

SilentJessica
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2019, 6:36 pm

Sometimes I play songs in my head instead of listening to them on my iPod. It’s easy to remember the lyrics when I’ve listened to them on repeat so many times.

I can see a word or sentence from a song (it can be a person’s username on a forum) and then I’ll get that part of a song in my head, even when their sentence/username had nothing to do with the song.

AQ: 40
RAADS-R: 149

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2019, 8:05 pm

Yes, I can remember the lyrics of my favorite songs. I also remember songs I want to forget. The latter fall into the annoying "earworm" category. They drive me crazy.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2019, 10:35 pm

I have to read the lyrics of songs to be able to hear them properly in music.
Once I hear them I can still remember them years later.

Galadnarthiel
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Jan 2019, 11:07 pm

Sometimes I get obsessed with certain songs in foreign languages and listen to them on a loop. Before long I have them memorized and can sing them perfectly even if I don't speak that language and have no idea what I'm singing lol. People would probably think that's weird but no one knows bc I only sing in my car by myself 8)

For I do not want you to be unaware of the affliction I experienced. For I was so utterly burdened beyond my strength that I despaired of life itself. Indeed, I felt that I had received the sentence of death.

But that was to make me rely not on myself but on God who raises the dead. He delivered me from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver me. On him I have set my hope that he will deliver me again.

2 Corinthians 1:7-10, Holy Bible

DemophobicKlingon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2019, 6:32 am

I am pretty good at memorizing lyrics, and it sticks out to me when other people get a lyric wrong. xD It may come out of pushing the replay button on overkill with the song, or if it's a particular favorite song, I just remember. If a song reminds me of a person, situation, or interest, I'm prone to remembering the lyrics too.

INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 7:21 am

Yes. I knew the whole time.
It was once an obsession of mine in some way since as early as age 4. I still remember, listening to the radio cassette player over and over and over...

Because I don't focus at words themselves, I focus on tones, what those words sounds like and how those words fits within those songs.

It's more of a memorization of patterns, than some rote memorization of vocabulary. Thought this is how brains generally works.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Oraq
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2019, 8:54 am

TheMatrixHasYou wrote:
Can you guys remember song lyrics really easily, and remember them for years afterwards? I haven't heard a particular song in about 7 years, and suddenly I started hearing the song, really really clearly in my head. On long car journeys, I play songs in my head....does any of this happen to you? :)

Not only the lyrics; if you just played me the first note of any top ten hit of the 60s and 70s, I could probably identify it. Even if it starts with the sound or road drills, like The Loving Spoonful's Hot Night, Summer in the City! Not so good with more recent stuff, but that's aging for you, and besides, I listen more to classic and jazz than pop, nowadays.

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 2:57 pm

DemophobicKlingon wrote:
I am pretty good at memorizing lyrics, and it sticks out to me when other people get a lyric wrong. xD It may come out of pushing the replay button on overkill with the song, or if it's a particular favorite song, I just remember. If a song reminds me of a person, situation, or interest, I'm prone to remembering the lyrics too.

Me exactly. The best way for me to memorize lyrics is by listening to the song over and over again, and singing along when I can. Also if I really like the melody of a particular song, such as this one, it's easier to memorize the lyrics.

#palestinianlivesmatter

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 11:32 pm

Yes I can memorise song lyrics quite well, probably because I got this strong ambition when I was about 10 to sing in a band, so naturally that was something I needed to do. Mostly it fell into place because I was always singing along to my favourite records, so that by practising I might begin to sound good, and apart from self-penned songs obviously when I was in a band I only wanted to sing my favourite records. The movitation to learn the lyrics was very strong. I used to really like the Beatles' songs and at one time I knew most of them perfectly and even knew the order of the songs on all the albums.

I still do public singing in bands and as a solo performer with a guitar, and my usual method of learning new lyrics is to write them out and just keep trying till it works. I don't find it particularly easy or hard, and I often wish I didn't have to learn them, but like a jigsaw puzzle it feels good when I'm managed to complete the mission. I wouldn't learn a song even if I really liked it unless I was planning to perform it and had tried a bit of it and found out that it looked like I'd be able to sing it well. Some songs are easier than others. I don't like singing from written lyrics because if I take my eyes off the script for even a moment, I can't find my place again in time, and I hate fluffing my lines, so I nearly always learn them. I think it's easier to sing a song well when I know the words - less distraction so I can focus on the delivery.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 4:22 am

Yes, but the memory of the lyrics is directly tied to the melody, for me. If I am having trouble remembering the words, all I have to do is sing them and they come back. I might not be able to recite them, but I can sing them.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 5:10 pm

Am pretty decent at remembering song lyrics.