Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 9:39 pm

Sometimes I go about my day rarely saying anything. I don't think to say "hi" or "how are you or how was your day" stuff like that. It just never crosses my mind. Dad assumes "Oh you're depressed/in a bad mood" but really it just never crosses my mind to say these IMO slight trivial things. I don't care to hear about your stressful day at work. I never hear "good" things that's how our society is and this household. I love my family don't get me wrong but I just never think to say these small little bits of a conversation.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 9:44 pm

I was just about to make a thread on this topic.

Often times I just don't ever think to talk. It's almost as if I forget I have the ability to. If I need to get from point A to point B and someone is standing in my way, I'll wait patiently for them to move. I rarely ever think to say "excuse me." Same with group conversations. Unless something is directed specifically at me, I usually won't ever say anything because I don't think to. I'll listen and pay attention to what's going on, but unless something absolutely must be said, the thought never crosses my mind.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 9:50 pm

I'll have phases (not long, not even a day, but existant) where even when I want to communicate something I won't talk. If I can't type then I'll start miming instead of talking because its more natural.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 9:53 pm

SammichEater wrote:
I was just about to make a thread on this topic.

Often times I just don't ever think to talk. It's almost as if I forget I have the ability to. If I need to get from point A to point B and someone is standing in my way, I'll wait patiently for them to move. I rarely ever think to say "excuse me." Same with group conversations. Unless something is directed specifically at me, I usually won't ever say anything because I don't think to. I'll listen and pay attention to what's going on, but unless something absolutely must be said, the thought never crosses my mind.

This happens to me a lot. Things that can be communicated are often not because I forgot to remember that communicating was an option that exists.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 10:47 pm

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 10:51 pm

I'm like that around my parents except I do say Hi and other small things. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why that is.

CJame
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Oct 2011, 11:17 pm

lol... I'm worse. Sometimes when coworkers ask me a rhetorical question or try to tease me with a witty comment, I just ignore them. I know they are just trying to be friendly... but I feel defeated because I can't come up with a witty come back.

Last edited by CJame on 14 Oct 2011, 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 11:21 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm like that around my parents except I do say Hi and other small things. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why that is.

Ya for some stupid reason "How was your day" and "Good night" (saying that every night) pleases my NT parents. Like I sad dad sees a slow talking day as "bad mood/depression" when that's not the case at all. IMO why should I talk to you if you blow me off. I get into a special interest OMG! a movie made X billion dollars WOO! HOO! and they shrug it off "whatever" or are rude "Can't you talk about anything else?" Then I feel bad I talked and said anything at all.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

13 Oct 2011, 11:59 pm

I went through three days straight not talking to anyone here, and people thought I was upset or sick and... I just didn't want to talk.

Sometimes it's very hard to talk even if I want to.

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2011, 1:11 am

I get like this a lot. Sometimes I don't want to talk, sometimes I don't remember to talk, sometimes I'm trying to be in my own world or hyperfocusing and don't even realize I'm supposed to talk. Sometimes it's physically difficult to make noise come out of me.

The most annoying thing is when you acknowledge you heard someone and are paying attention by looking in their direction or something, but they won't stop trying to get your attention until you make noise, preferably in the form of words. Then I get in trouble for snapping at them... You'd think they'd learn by now! :roll:

NotlikeU
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Oct 2011, 1:39 am

alot of the time i dont feel like speaking to anyone either, i just try to make a conscious effort to do it so people know that i do care. social network sites help alot. i speak to my extended family far more since signing up for facebook. for some reason im more comfortable catching up with people via text.

lillyanne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Oct 2011, 1:41 am

Wow

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Oct 2011, 10:34 am

I go into non-talking modes on occasion. Right now I am feeling very nonverbal, but my job (I'm on lunch break right now) requires I talk. But I don't feel like it today. My routine at work has been changed today and it's challenging me a lot. I am in a sort of quiet anxiety mode. If I were at home and feeling this way, I would climb into bed and darken the windows with sheets.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 10:38 am

zeldapsychology wrote:
Sometimes I go about my day rarely saying anything. I don't think to say "hi" or "how are you "or "how was your day" stuff like that. It just never crosses my mind.

Me too. I don't say "hi", "how are you", or "good night". I did get in the habit of saying "goodbye" but that's it.

When I was younger I've had people think I was mute or mentally disabled because I didn't talk enough. Then if I did talk I got told I talked too much.

NotlikeU
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Oct 2011, 10:40 am

The thing I try to keep in mind is that a when I get to the end of my life and am laying in my deathbed, I don't want to feel like I had things more things to say. I love all the people that have blessed my life, and I truley want those relationships to be all that they can be

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 10:55 am

I can be perfectly quiet if I'm with the wrong people. Also if there's background noise or distractions of any significance, I go mute - I'm just not going to compete against that racket, so if they want me to talk they'd best get me away from it. I find it almost impossible to raise my voice unless I'm singing, so unless I want to turn my life into a grand opera, I wouldn't be heard if I did speak.

WIth the right people and low background distractions, I can talk forever. I absolutely love the attention of other people and the process of learning to give and get attention fairly, disciplining myself not to talk past the point, learning to listen but not to the exclusion of what I too have to say. What a shame the right people don't happen by very often. Because they don't have to be very wrong for me before the whole game is ruined and I just want to get rid of them before I make a social blunder or they start annoying me.