Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Swordfish210
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2011, 6:51 am

Right, well, this is a thing I have struggled with myself, and have also noticed in other aspies.

Most books about aspergers and most councelors focus on being bad at planning as an aspie characteristic. Many help programms help aspies with planning things out, especially in school as they tend to be late with their assignments and fall behind in the general swing of things because of this.

People however do not seem to recognize that some aspies have another method of coping with their lack in planning abilites apart from leaving things and thus not having it done in time (underplanning), and that is overplanning.

Teachers and councelors do not seem to recognize this is a problem, as the person has his or her assignments handed in on time or way before, so why worry about it? The problem is however, that I myself plan things so far in advance because I am scared of not having it done in time. This causes a huge anxiety because other assignments are given and my mental exhaustion is enorm. I can work 10 hours a day or more to complete my assignments and mybanxiety levels are through the roof when the due date is within 2 weeks and I am not finished yet.

Other people also expect me to do other activities during the time I am working on my assignments while I have this major gap of not having to do anything around the time the assignments are due, when other people are working on their assignments and thus do not much in terms of other nescesary jobs in and around the house, leaving me with those because ' I am finished already anyway'.

I am wondering with how many people this rings a bell and if someone has a copung strategy for it, as it seems to be an under recognized issue.

Sherlock Holmes in The Sign Of Four (1890), ch. 6