Page 1 of 50 [ 788 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 50  Next

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,671
Location: Untied Kingdom

17 Oct 2011, 4:22 pm

There's no guarantee that suggestions will be implemented by alex, but it makes sense to me to create a unified thread in which to put site improvement suggestions. It's less likely to be lost off the bottom of the page for ever if you post it here.

AFAIK alex is still intending to upgrade the software and forum at some point.


_________________
Not currently a moderator


Last edited by Moog on 20 Jan 2012, 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,671
Location: Untied Kingdom

17 Oct 2011, 4:24 pm

Personally I'd like to install some floatation tanks. :D


_________________
Not currently a moderator


PM
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Oct 2010
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,466
Location: Southeastern United States

17 Oct 2011, 4:31 pm

I would personally suggest a report button and an online list.


_________________
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?


anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Aug 2008
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,682
Location: Europe

17 Oct 2011, 4:37 pm

how about upvote/downvote options on posts? it seems to be working quite well on reddit.


_________________
not a bug - a feature.


Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 May 2009
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,516

17 Oct 2011, 4:41 pm

ye olde software was glitchin' again yesterday. No log in.

I'm' curious how many patches can she take before a complete overhaul?

Tombstone technology here-- fix it when broken ?



League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 26,090
Location: Pacific Northwest

17 Oct 2011, 5:01 pm

No one can send PMs until they have a certain number of posts. That way it will prevent spam bots.



Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Aug 2010
Age: 58
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,938
Location: Homeward bound

18 Oct 2011, 8:47 pm

Thats a good one

Limit thread starts to 1 per day, or 10 per week or something

Consider an exclusive area for those less fortunate, who feel depressed, around the wizz kids, romance and witty banter

Limit 1 membership account per computer, to prevent users trolling with dual or more memberships. Maybe have dispensation for couples/families



Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 51,700
Location: Over there

19 Oct 2011, 3:32 am

Surfman wrote:
Consider an exclusive area for those less fortunate, who feel depressed, around the wizz kids, romance and witty banter
Already exists as "The Haven" here: http://www.wrongplanet.net/forum23.html


_________________
Giraffe: a ruminant with a view.


jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Feb 2011
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,197

19 Oct 2011, 7:14 am

League_Girl wrote:
No one can send PMs until they have a certain number of posts. That way it will prevent spam bots.


Excellent idea, why isn't this already done.



Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 51,700
Location: Over there

19 Oct 2011, 7:36 am

jackbus01 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
No one can send PMs until they have a certain number of posts. That way it will prevent spam bots.
Excellent idea, why isn't this already done.
It's not implemented in the current version of the forum software, never mind the earlier version WP uses so it would need to be specifically hand-coded. This is more of a developer/administrator activity and not something moderators would be able to do.

An alternative approach might be to implement "groups" (guests, newly-registered users, users) and only grant PM rights to "users" - but this functionality would also need to be implemented by an administrator.
But even if implemented, on a high-turnover site like WP it would also mean quite a lot of additional work keeping track of users' membership status and readjusting as appropriate - and it may not be possible without additional hand-coding to grant those "adjustment" rights to a moderator.


_________________
Giraffe: a ruminant with a view.


Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Aug 2010
Age: 58
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,938
Location: Homeward bound

20 Oct 2011, 8:27 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Surfman wrote:
Consider an exclusive area for those less fortunate, who feel depressed, around the wizz kids, romance and witty banter
Already exists as "The Haven" here: http://www.wrongplanet.net/forum23.html


okay....so lower functioning aspies should hang out with the depressed and suicidal aspies? Does not sound very nice to me!



Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Aug 2010
Age: 58
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,938
Location: Homeward bound

20 Oct 2011, 8:35 pm

The male ish moderating could be softened in a beneficial way, by the employment of more women such as Hyperlexian

WP is too male as it is, and women do a better job, thanks to their female sensibilities and empathy

It appears at times the male WP workers.... use WP for their own ends, male ego and social status.

There is no substitute for a good womans love, in a crazy male dominated world :arrow:

As most WP members are young/teenage and male, site/member dealings with employed males would have less chance for smoothness, compared with dealings with a female authority figure......

mama mia!



Last edited by Surfman on 20 Oct 2011, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,671
Location: Untied Kingdom

20 Oct 2011, 8:47 pm

Surfman wrote:
The male ish moderating could be softened in a beneficial way, by the employment of more women such as Hyperlexian

WP is too male as it is, and women do a better job, thanks to their female sensibilities and empathy

It appears at times the male WP workers.... us WP for their own ends, male ego and social status.

There is no substitute for a good womans love, in a crazy male dominated world :arrow:

As most WP members are young/teenage and male, site/member dealings with employed males would have less chance for smoothness, compared with dealings with a female authority figure......

mama mia!


Wow, It's like the 1950's up in here

Maybe hyper can fix us some dinner, tuck in the babies and do the washing up while the mod boys are (apparently) waggling our e-peens around and being men. Tsk!


_________________
Not currently a moderator


PM
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Oct 2010
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,466
Location: Southeastern United States

20 Oct 2011, 8:50 pm

Moog wrote:
Surfman wrote:
The male ish moderating could be softened in a beneficial way, by the employment of more women such as Hyperlexian

WP is too male as it is, and women do a better job, thanks to their female sensibilities and empathy

It appears at times the male WP workers.... us WP for their own ends, male ego and social status.

There is no substitute for a good womans love, in a crazy male dominated world :arrow:

As most WP members are young/teenage and male, site/member dealings with employed males would have less chance for smoothness, compared with dealings with a female authority figure......

mama mia!


Wow, It's like the 1950's up in here

Maybe hyper can fix us some dinner, tuck in the babies and do the washing up while the mod boys are (apparently) waggling our e-peens around and being men. Tsk!


I agree, its 2011, not 1955.


_________________
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 50,644
Location: Stendec

20 Oct 2011, 8:51 pm

The ability for mods to merge or split threads. Merging would reduce the instances of duplicated thread topics, such as the recent threads on oxytocin. Splitting threads would allow for when divergent topics develop in the same thread.


_________________
 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!


TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jul 2010
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 28,982
Location: California

20 Oct 2011, 8:52 pm

Fnord wrote:
The ability for mods to merge or split threads. Merging would reduce the instances of duplicated thread topics, such as the recent threads on oxytocin. Splitting threads would allow for when divergent topics develop in the same thread.


I thought mods could already do this... :scratch:


_________________
Still looking for that blue jean baby queen, prettiest girl I've ever seen.