Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

-Skeksis-
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Oct 2011, 11:37 pm

JohnyJohn wrote:
Answer please.

No. (As in, I refuse to be a part of your little game.)

Do you hate disabled people?

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 12:31 am

cyberdad wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
What? No.

Actually, I have to own up, I'm not keen on severely mentally ret*d people what will always need 24-hour care all their lives and are really just a pest. My friend's 28-year-old brother has Mental Retardation, and has a mind of a 2-year-old. He doesn't wear nappies, but when he needs the toilet he pulls the nearest carer in the care home by the hand to the toilet, and they have to wipe his bum for him.
And when he gets in a temper he does some really unique things, like tip the fridge over or crawls into a cupboard and stays there for hours.

He is quite comtempt playing with toys all day. That's the only thing that keeps him happy. Nobody wants to take him out because they find him ''to embarrassing'', but when one of the carers takes him out they wear a special badge to say that they're caring for this person, so that people will know more why he is acting very different.

This is why I don't want children. My brain is pretty f**** up, my children will be born with f**** up brains and all.

Johnny John originally asked if we "hate disabled people". So are you saying "yes" to hating?

Hatred is a rather childish emotional state that is also quite energy taxing.

Oh and the answer from me is an emphatic NO!

He didn't say he hated them.

Personally I despise a lot of the ones that I've seen. There are many that are alright but my general first impression is usually one of distaste. It would depend upon how they are disabled. If it's an obvious intellectual disorder or a speech impediment or something I am most likely to be disturbed by it. If it was something like blindness or an inability to walk it wouldn't matter to me.

-Skeksis-
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Oct 2011, 12:42 am

Not playing along.

Last edited by -Skeksis- on 22 Oct 2011, 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Genesis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Oct 2011, 12:49 am

No If I did I would only be hating myself...

JohnyJohn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Oct 2011, 1:53 am

So you are like Christopher Reeves.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 2:06 am

Well, it's not like I haven't met some awfully annoying disabled people. But the proportion of annoying proplr seems to be similar to the proportion of annoying people among the non-disabled, so I don't see that there's any connection between being disabled and being annoying. If you're annoying, I'll either tell you to cut it out or avoid you, and whether you're disabled or not has no bearing on that.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 2:22 am

JohnyJohn wrote:

Are you just a dickhead or what? What's up with you man.

If you seriously think your posts here are acceptable you're an idiot.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

22 Oct 2011, 3:14 am

I don't intellectually hate them, but I'm not going to lie: In real life, I mock the mentally disabled in my mind when they say ret*d things in a ret*d way. I don't actually mock them in real life, though, and I don't mock them online.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 5:31 am

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
Personally I despise a lot of the ones that I've seen. There are many that are alright but my general first impression is usually one of distaste. It would depend upon how they are disabled. If it's an obvious intellectual disorder or a speech impediment or something I am most likely to be disturbed by it. If it was something like blindness or an inability to walk it wouldn't matter to me.

Sensitive soul aren't you.

JohnyJohn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Oct 2011, 5:47 am

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:

Are you just a dickhead or what? What's up with you man.

If you seriously think your posts here are acceptable you're an idiot.

No i say that because i have read on internet.That he is a hypocrite.That before his accident he did not give a sh1t about disabled people and then after the accident he started being sensitive and caring.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 6:08 am

Quote:
Johnny John originally asked if we "hate disabled people". So are you saying "yes" to hating?

Hatred is a rather childish emotional state that is also quite energy taxing.

Oh and the answer from me is an emphatic NO!

I've met a 17-year-old boy in a wheelchair before. He couldn't speak, only babble, but he was really lovable. He always reached his arms out to give me a cuddle when he saw me. His parents say he is very happy all the time, a lot more happier than ''normal'' people. He's a lot more happier than I am, I can tell you that!

It made me cry when I heard that he won't live very long. But his parents are doing the best they can for him while he's alive, and they say he is a blessing. I just hope they make the most of their loving son.

If I have a child, I just don't want him or her to be mentally ret*d with aggressive and embarrassing behaviour what is a constant battle for the rest of my life. I can't even cope with myself, so coping with an out of control child what will grow into an adult but still with a child's mind and always being humiliated because he/she will be misunderstood forever (especially if he/she has severe Autism), then I don't want it.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 6:49 am

Joe90 wrote:
What? No.

Actually, I have to own up, I'm not keen on severely mentally ret*d people what will always need 24-hour care all their lives and are really just a pest. My friend's 28-year-old brother has Mental Retardation, and has a mind of a 2-year-old. He doesn't wear nappies, but when he needs the toilet he pulls the nearest carer in the care home by the hand to the toilet, and they have to wipe his bum for him.
And when he gets in a temper he does some really unique things, like tip the fridge over or crawls into a cupboard and stays there for hours.

He is quite comtempt playing with toys all day. That's the only thing that keeps him happy. Nobody wants to take him out because they find him ''to embarrassing'', but when one of the carers takes him out they wear a special badge to say that they're caring for this person, so that people will know more why he is acting very different.

This is why I don't want children. My brain is pretty f**** up, my children will be born with f**** up brains and all.

I can relate to this post.

I also feel really guilty about it. When I see people like the man you described, I admit, I end up thinking, 'why do people bother sacrificing themselves for you?' Especially mothers of disabled children because it's taboo to abort foetuses for disabilities - they're expected to be total martyrs. It's okay if the state pays people who enjoy it to look after severely disabled people. I wished they did that more often and that carers had more respite available.

My partner has more severe Asperger's than me, and I already resent the amount that I have to 'look after him'. I have more mental health problems than he does but because my executive functioning is better than his, I have to run the household. I would just like a break from it and I would like him to do the housework for once. I feel like just leaving it and letting him sort it out, but I know if I did that, our flat would turn into something out of 'Life of Grime' and that the electric and water would get cut off and the council woul be taking us to court. :lol: I do it because I love him, but this is an example of how I can resent caring for someone who's barely even disabled. I really don't know what I'd do if I had a severely disabled child.

I feel lots of guilt because I grew up Catholic and had the whole 'sanctity of life' thing and the whole 'self-sacrifice makes you holier' stuff taught to me. It's very ingrained. I'm not religious any more and don't believe there's any sanctity or intrinsic purpose to life but I feel like a monster for thinking this way.

melanieeee
Raven
Raven

22 Oct 2011, 7:14 am

god this thread is disgusting. absolutely disgusting. is it any wonder why people think aspies have impaired cognitive as well as affective empathy. you should be ashamed of yourselves.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 7:15 am

melanieeee wrote:
god this thread is disgusting. absolutely disgusting. is it any wonder why people think aspies have impaired cognitive as well as affective empathy. you should be ashamed of yourselves.

I already am ashamed of myself, don't worry.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 7:34 am

Joe90 wrote:
If I have a child, I just don't want him or her to be mentally ret*d with aggressive and embarrassing behaviour what is a constant battle for the rest of my life. I can't even cope with myself, so coping with an out of control child what will grow into an adult but still with a child's mind and always being humiliated because he/she will be misunderstood forever (especially if he/she has severe Autism), then I don't want it.

This is tangential to the original question but I understand, you have no problem with physically disabled people, just mentally ret*d or severely intellectually impaired people.

The question was raised and you appear to object to severe impairment as undesirable. However, nobody was asking if you want to have a intellectually handicapped child or a severely impaired autistic child.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 8:12 am

please note:

personal attacks are not permitted. if you have a problem with a thread like this one, please report it to a moderator or go to the "moderator attention" thread in the WrongPlanet.net subforum to report it. there is no excuse for attacking the OP personally. thank you.