Which LCD display for my light-sensitive eyes?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Oct 2011, 2:20 pm

Hi there,

i noticed, that reducing the brightness of my LCD display reduces the pain in my head. I noticed how stressfull looking in the display seems to be for my eyes just recently. Maybe therefore, I need such thick glasses. Maybe I wouldn't need any glasses, if I noticed this earlier, I don't know.

I noticed a while before, that I am very light-sensitive. I bought sunglasses and it was so much better when going outside with them in the summer, I was really intrigued by them. Elsewise i always has to close my eyes abit.

Nevertheless, I have to buy a new display for my computer, the old one doesn't work. Now my question is which things I shall keep in mind, when I buy. I want one which is good for my eyes. What things must I consider? Anyone who made some more thoughts about this and has some experience in this question?

thanks,
anton

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 2:32 pm

I've found LED backlights much friendlier to my eyes than standard backlights. They tend to cost more but also don't hurt as much (for me) at the same brightness levels.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 7:35 pm

one thing you might want to consider is the maximum refresh rate; most screens refresh at about 60 hertz, which is beyond the vision ability of an NT, but is often fisible by people on the spectrum.
you might want to consider buying a screen with a refresh rate of 80 or maybe even 100 hertz, since no longer seeing the flicker in the screen caused by a lower setting might help a lot

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 3:56 pm

As brightness is adjustable, I'd focus on just one that gives a sharp-clear image and quality color reproduction. Plug it in, set it up, then adjust the brightness to what works well for you.

Also remember that ambient light has an impact. Moderate lighting around the workstation will take away the harsh difference of the monitor's backlighting.