Page 4 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 2:10 pm

pandabear wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Why are liberals so prude when it comes to Fox News? It's like they have an actual fear of hearing a broad spectrum of viewpoints articulated and debated against each other. Then again, mantra is easier on the brain, so I can see NBC's appeal.

I caught a little bit yesterday while sitting in a waiting room.

"Broad spectrum of viewpoints articulated and debated against each other?"

More like "Look at what that villain Obama did now" and "What is our best hope for defeating Obama next year?"

"If we put up a conservative candidate, then Obama is just going to tarnish him as a radical. If we put up a moderate candidate, then people won't view him as being different from Obama" or some such nonsense.

There are other Fox News segments that have liberals whom are extremely pro-Obama saying how wonderful Obama is. So the fact they had some conservatives on talking about the primary candidates (which the Republican primary is a news issue right now) and letting two Republicans argue over who the best candidate would be, actually makes sense from a news standpoint for them to have a debate over the primary candidates.

We haven't gotten to the general election yet, and one side already has their nominee which is why the Democrats aren't getting much coverage.

Abgal64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2011, 3:18 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Why are liberals so prude when it comes to Fox News? It's like they have an actual fear of hearing a broad spectrum of viewpoints articulated and debated against each other. For heaven's sakes, there's even that "Fox Blocker", which is sold to spare liberals the pain of merely passing the channel while they're looking for NBC. Then again, mantra is easier on the brain, so I can see NBC's appeal.
As I said earlier, I think none of the major American news services much good, including MSNBC, FOX and NBC, are much of anything compared to Aljazeera or the BBC. They give the best coverage of the world beyond the USA, IMHO.

Though I am not a liberal (I am a strange type of progressive), I do like hearing a broad spectrum of viewpoints debated against each other. This is why I watch "Real Time with Bill Maher": He has scholars, progressives, preachers, neoconservatives, libertarians, moderates, liberals and others: From 2008 they have included such diverse people as Fareed Zakaria, Ayaan Xirsi Cali, Mike Huckabee and Ralph Nader to Andrew Breitbart, Terry Jones and Thomas Friedman. Obviously, Bill Maher is biased but he makes his strong atheistic, center to far leftist views obvious, unlike FOX News with such slogans as "Fair and Balanced" or "We report, you decide."

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 3:30 pm

Abgal64 wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Why are liberals so prude when it comes to Fox News? It's like they have an actual fear of hearing a broad spectrum of viewpoints articulated and debated against each other. For heaven's sakes, there's even that "Fox Blocker", which is sold to spare liberals the pain of merely passing the channel while they're looking for NBC. Then again, mantra is easier on the brain, so I can see NBC's appeal.
As I said earlier, I think none of the major American news services much good, including MSNBC, FOX and NBC, are much of anything compared to Aljazeera or the BBC. They give the best coverage of the world beyond the USA, IMHO.

Actually, I have plenty to show that the BBC is as bad as MSNBC (when it comes to certain topics (particularly their anti-Israel bias)) and Aljazeera is even worse than MSNBC when it comes to bias.

Abgal wrote:
Though I am not a liberal (I am a strange type of progressive), I do like hearing a broad spectrum of viewpoints debated against each other. This is why I watch "Real Time with Bill Maher": He has scholars, progressives, preachers, neoconservatives, libertarians, moderates, liberals and others: From 2008 they have included such diverse people as Fareed Zakaria, Ayaan Xirsi Cali, Mike Huckabee and Ralph Nader to Andrew Breitbart, Terry Jones and Thomas Friedman. Obviously, Bill Maher is biased but he makes his strong atheistic, center to far leftist views obvious, unlike FOX News with such slogans as "Fair and Balanced" or "We report, you decide."

Bill O'Reilly has had on Conservatives and Liberals on his show numerous times.

Hannity has had on Bob Beckel numerous times.

Then there is Juan Williams whom was wrongfully fired from NPR.

It wouldn't surprise me if there is a standing invite for Bill Maher to come on a Fox News segment once in a while.

The BBC does better than most media outlets in the US on certain topics, however Fox News does give the other side a chance to voice their opinions which is a step up from every other US media outlet and probably makes it as good or better than the BBC in that respect.

The main problem is that people often try to compare Fox News' commentators with News Anchors on another network, I mean seriously if they have to compare commentators to their news anchors, you know there is a problem with those other networks.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 3:35 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
My thought....

All mass media is owned by a handful of powerful interests.

I find it odd that Fox is the ONLY ONE that is "conservative" or "anti-Obama" when you look at the slant all of them take on the way news is presented.

I find it odd that Glenn Beck chose to leave Fox when he was popular and tolerated. My understanding, among other reasons, is that Fox was a dead weight to him...he had to be careful of what he chose to report on and how he presented things lest Fox have an issue with him.

So, how hard is it to maintain the false "left/right" dichotomy by assigning one of the mainstream media outlets to champion the "anti-Obama" cause?

America is being engineered for a second civil war. It seems, to me, that Fox might be more of a provocateur of the masses as if everyone in the mainstream was "pro-Obama" it would be obvious that the mass media is controlled by a small group with no real difference of opinion.

Just because a news source isn't Anti-Obama doesn't make it slanted - it may just be reporting the facts as they are.
And Glenn Beck hardly left Fox under the best of circumstances. He was driving their sponsors away for all his insane conspiracy theories and bigotry. On top of that, he was becoming too much for even Rupert Murdoch to stand.
And what the hell is this crap about a new civil war?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Problem is Glenn Beck was proven to be correct again, or did you miss the massacre in Egypt or the radicals in Libya looking like they are going to gain power.

Furthermore, you failed to mention that left wing groups were actively threatening Fox News sponsors. It ended up backfiring though, and guess who they were shooting back at, none other than mediamatters.

But Orbitz shot back, describing Media Matters as “a political organization that has been funded pretty extensively to go after one network, and we aren’t going to engage in that fight,” Orbitz spokesman Brian Hoyt told The Hollywood Reporter:
Quote:
“We have a strict policy of tolerance and non-discrimination, and that means we don’t favor one political side over another. Tolerance is a two-way street,” he said. “We’re going to advertise on conservative TV stations, liberal TV stations and — if there are any out there — unbiased news broadcasts.”

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/orbitz-snubs ... hat-fight/

It looks more like the left was trying to silence free speech that they didn't agree with.

Guessing it had to do with Fox News uncovering how Soros is tied to a lot of media outlets.

It’s a strategy that Soros has been deploying extensively in media both in the United States and abroad. Since 2003, Soros has spent more than $48 million funding media properties, including the infrastructure of news – journalism schools, investigative journalism and even industry organizations.

And that number is an understatement. It is gleaned from tax forms, news stories and reporting. But Soros funds foundations that fund other foundations in turn, like the Tides Foundation, which then make their own donations. A complete accounting is almost impossible because a media component is part of so many Soros-funded operations.
This information is part of an upcoming report by the Media Research Centers Business & Media Institute which has been looking into George Soros and his influence on the media.

It turns out that Soros’ influence doesn’t just include connections to top mainstream news organizations such as NBC, ABC, The New York Times and Washington Post. It’s bought him connections to the underpinnings of the news business. The Columbia Journalism Review, which bills itself as “a watchdog and a friend of the press in all its forms,” lists several investigative reporting projects funded by one of Soros foundations.

The “News Frontier Database” includes seven different investigative reporting projects funded by Soros’ Open Society Institute. Along with ProPublica, there are the Center for Public Integrity, the Center for Investigative Reporting and New Orleans’ The Lens. The Columbia School of Journalism, which operates CJR, has received at least $600,000 from Soros, as well.

Imagine if conservative media punching bags David and Charles Koch had this many connections to journalists. Even if the Kochs could find journalists willing to support conservative media (doubtful), they would be skewered by the left.

For Soros, it’s news, but it nothing new. According to “Soros: The Life and Times of a Messianic Billionaire,” he has been fascinated by media from when he was a boy where early career interests included “history or journalism or some form of writing.” He served as “editor-in-chief, publisher, and news vendor of” his own paper, “The Lupa News” and wrote a wall newspaper in his native Hungary before leaving, wrote author Michael T. Kaufman, a 40-year New York Times veteran. The Communist Party “encouraged” such papers.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/05/ ... z1bobl8bon

Even though that is an opinion column, the facts if you care to dig them up, actually do match what Fox News is saying.

What pandabear said.
And to say that Glenn Beck was right in a prediction has pretty much the same veracity as saying that Nostradamus was actually right in any of his predictions. Yes - - if you make all sorts of contortions in order to make events fit said predictions.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 3:39 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
My thought....

I find it odd that Fox is the ONLY ONE that is "conservative" or "anti-Obama" when you look at the slant all of them take on the way news is presented.

I find it odd that Glenn Beck chose to leave Fox when he was popular and tolerated. My understanding, among other reasons, is that Fox was a dead weight to him...he had to be careful of what he chose to report on and how he presented things lest Fox have an issue with him.

So, how hard is it to maintain the false "left/right" dichotomy by assigning one of the mainstream media outlets to champion the "anti-Obama" cause?

America is being engineered for a second civil war. It seems, to me, that Fox might be more of a provocateur of the masses as if everyone in the mainstream was "pro-Obama" it would be obvious that the mass media is controlled by a small group with no real difference of opinion.

Just because a news source isn't Anti-Obama doesn't make it slanted - it may just be reporting the facts as they are.
And Glenn Beck hardly left Fox under the best of circumstances. He was driving their sponsors away for all his insane conspiracy theories and bigotry. On top of that, he was becoming too much for even Rupert Murdoch to stand.

Problem is Glenn Beck was proven to be correct again, or did you miss the massacre in Egypt or the radicals in Libya looking like they are going to gain power.

Furthermore, you failed to mention that left wing groups were actively threatening Fox News sponsors. It ended up backfiring though, and guess who they were shooting back at, none other than mediamatters.

But Orbitz shot back, describing Media Matters as “a political organization that has been funded pretty extensively to go after one network, and we aren’t going to engage in that fight,” Orbitz spokesman Brian Hoyt told The Hollywood Reporter:
Quote:
“We have a strict policy of tolerance and non-discrimination, and that means we don’t favor one political side over another. Tolerance is a two-way street,” he said. “We’re going to advertise on conservative TV stations, liberal TV stations and — if there are any out there — unbiased news broadcasts.”

It looks more like the left was trying to silence free speech that they didn't agree with.

Guessing it had to do with Fox News uncovering how Soros is tied to a lot of media outlets.

It’s a strategy that Soros has been deploying extensively in media both in the United States and abroad. Since 2003, Soros has spent more than $48 million funding media properties, including the infrastructure of news – journalism schools, investigative journalism and even industry organizations.

And that number is an understatement. It is gleaned from tax forms, news stories and reporting. But Soros funds foundations that fund other foundations in turn, like the Tides Foundation, which then make their own donations. A complete accounting is almost impossible because a media component is part of so many Soros-funded operations.
This information is part of an upcoming report by the Media Research Centers Business & Media Institute which has been looking into George Soros and his influence on the media.

It turns out that Soros’ influence doesn’t just include connections to top mainstream news organizations such as NBC, ABC, The New York Times and Washington Post. It’s bought him connections to the underpinnings of the news business. The Columbia Journalism Review, which bills itself as “a watchdog and a friend of the press in all its forms,” lists several investigative reporting projects funded by one of Soros foundations.

The “News Frontier Database” includes seven different investigative reporting projects funded by Soros’ Open Society Institute. Along with ProPublica, there are the Center for Public Integrity, the Center for Investigative Reporting and New Orleans’ The Lens. The Columbia School of Journalism, which operates CJR, has received at least $600,000 from Soros, as well.

Imagine if conservative media punching bags David and Charles Koch had this many connections to journalists. Even if the Kochs could find journalists willing to support conservative media (doubtful), they would be skewered by the left.

For Soros, it’s news, but it nothing new. According to “Soros: The Life and Times of a Messianic Billionaire,” he has been fascinated by media from when he was a boy where early career interests included “history or journalism or some form of writing.” He served as “editor-in-chief, publisher, and news vendor of” his own paper, “The Lupa News” and wrote a wall newspaper in his native Hungary before leaving, wrote author Michael T. Kaufman, a 40-year New York Times veteran. The Communist Party “encouraged” such papers.

Even though that is an opinion column, the facts if you care to dig them up, actually do match what Fox News is saying.

What pandabear said.
And to say that Glenn Beck was right in a prediction has pretty much the same veracity as saying that Nostradamus was actually right in any of his predictions. Yes - - if you make all sorts of contortions in order to make events fit said predictions.

Glenn Beck was using history to make reasoned arguments as to what was likely going to happen, he wasn't claiming that he could see the future or was a prophet.

Using past events and the decisions that led to those events to show why something is probably is or is not a good idea, is part of the natural learning process, and is quite logical.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 3:57 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
My thought....

Quote:

What pandabear said.

Glenn Beck was using history to make reasoned arguments as to what was likely going to happen, he wasn't claiming that he could see the future or was a prophet.

Using past events and the decisions that led to those events to show why something is probably is or is not a good idea, is part of the natural learning process, and is quite logical.

So, are the American people supposed to loose all the cultural goodness they've been raised with, and drag Beck down the street to his death, just because he said they would?

Abgal64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2011, 8:12 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Abgal64 wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

Actually, I have plenty to show that the BBC is as bad as MSNBC (when it comes to certain topics (particularly their anti-Israel bias)) and Aljazeera is even worse than MSNBC when it comes to bias.
I will happily have a look at any reliable sources you post that support your claims of the BBC's supposed "anti-Israel bias." And please explain why Aljazeera, a network which has been praised by the freedom-loving Index on Censorship, was anti-Qadhdhaafy and pro-Arab Spring, and is worse than MSNBC, which basically amounts to poor quality edutainment.

And by the way, you appear to have forgot to show me the source from which you got that UCLA professor's quote on American media bias. Could you give me the link?

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 8:41 pm

Abgal64 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Abgal64 wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

I will happily have a look at any reliable sources you post that support your claims of the BBC's supposed "anti-Israel bias." And please explain why Aljazeera, a network which has been praised by the freedom-loving Index on Censorship, was anti-Qadhdhaafy and pro-Arab Spring, and is worse than MSNBC, which basically amounts to poor quality edutainment.

And by the way, you appear to have forgot to show me the source from which you got that UCLA professor's quote on American media bias. Could you give me the link?

The 2006 Reutergate which also affected the BBC and Aljazeera is one such example.

Abgal64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2011, 10:08 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Abgal64 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Abgal64 wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

The 2006 Reutergate which also affected the BBC and Aljazeera is one such example.
All I see when I look up "Reutergate" on Google are various conservative websites, among them the Media Research Center which runs Newsbusters. I looked up the MRC on Wikipedia which is in agreement with this statement that they themselves issued on their own website. It basically says they are looking for evidence to support their position that there is "significant liberal media bias"; this in and of itself makes the MRC a suspicious special interest group, of the kind of which I never go to for facts unless they have primary sources unavailable elsewhere.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 8:24 am

Fox new certainly has undermined the integrity of the GOP.
I can hardly recognize the party I worked for in my youth.

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 4:29 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:

:roll:

I highly doubt you were ever associated with the GOP in any way shape or form.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 5:08 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:

Why not? To be sure, the Republican party of today is vary different from the Republicans of old, when intellectual elites like William F. Buckley set a tone of austerity. Today, Buckley's son switched parties because the anti-intellectual, hysterical climate set by Tea Baggers, birthers, evangelicals, and Neo-Confederates have made the party unlivable for anyone with divergent ideas that the "new Republicans" see as - - God forbid - - moderate!
My best friend and Godfather of my daughter used to be a dyed in the wool Republican. Since the lunatics have taken over the asylum, he's switched parties.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 5:16 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:

Why not? To be sure, the Republican party of today is vary different from the Republicans of old, when intellectual elites like William F. Buckley set a tone of austerity. Today, Buckley's son switched parties because the anti-intellectual, hysterical climate set by Tea Baggers, birthers, evangelicals, and Neo-Confederates have made the party unlivable for anyone with divergent ideas that the "new Republicans" see as - - God forbid - - moderate!
My best friend and Godfather of my daughter used to be a dyed in the wool Republican. Since the lunatics have taken over the asylum, he's switched parties.

Excuse me?

You seriously mean to tell me that you want the government to have the power to dictate every aspect of your life to you. That you want the government to say you can't have a specific treatment because your life isn't valuable enough?

If Obamacare is constitutional, then Government has that power, because every aspect of your life can be regulated, because it has to do with "health care" and the government is paying for your "health care."

It looks more like you and your friend have been sold a bag of goods by the mainstream media.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 5:21 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:

Ok, but since you are consistently wrong about most of what you believe I will take that
as an endorsement. I was a republican before you were even born sweetypie.

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 5:58 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:

Excuse me?

You seriously mean to tell me that you want the government to have the power to dictate every aspect of your life to you. That you want the government to say you can't have a specific treatment because your life isn't valuable enough?

If Obamacare is constitutional, then Government has that power, because every aspect of your life can be regulated, because it has to do with "health care" and the government is paying for your "health care."

It looks more like you and your friend have been sold a bag of goods by the mainstream media.

I think you've been watching way too much Fox News, my friend. No Democrat or liberal wants every aspect of our lives taken over by the government. We just want capitalism to be regulated enough so that the rest of us aren't pressed down into poverty while the super rich get all the more super rich. Plus, having Obama's healthcare reforms would be very nice, as it would take a burden of fear of death or bankruptcy off of the shoulders of ordinary people. The government providing a service doesn't constitute the end of decision making. Nor does it mean the death of democracy and capitalism - - but disenfranchising more and more people from the benefits of both eventually will.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 1:23 am

Abgal64 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Abgal64 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Abgal64 wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

All I see when I look up "Reutergate" on Google are various conservative websites, among them the Media Research Center which runs Newsbusters. I looked up the MRC on Wikipedia which is in agreement with this statement that they themselves issued on their own website. It basically says they are looking for evidence to support their position that there is "significant liberal media bias"; this in and of itself makes the MRC a suspicious special interest group, of the kind of which I never go to for facts unless they have primary sources unavailable elsewhere.

Your not going to find many sources concerning Reutergate because they would be bashing themselves in the process.

I can actually verify that many media outlets including the BBC were using doctored pictures to try to slam Israel.

Gonna start with wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reutergate

I may see if I can find the report I did on mediabias for a comm class, I had quite a few sources on this.

Kraichgauer wrote:
I think you've been watching way too much Fox News, my friend. No Democrat or liberal wants every aspect of our lives taken over by the government. We just want capitalism to be regulated enough so that the rest of us aren't pressed down into poverty while the super rich get all the more super rich. Plus, having Obama's healthcare reforms would be very nice, as it would take a burden of fear of death or bankruptcy off of the shoulders of ordinary people. The government providing a service doesn't constitute the end of decision making. Nor does it mean the death of democracy and capitalism - - but disenfranchising more and more people from the benefits of both eventually will.

Actually, I've taken a History of Constitutional Law class (something that as far as I know, you have not taken), and so I have a rough idea of what power would be given to the Federal Government if the individual mandate is ruled Constitutional, I also know a lot of this power would be given if we have universal healthcare. This isn't just from me watching Fox News, I can do my own analysis of things, thank you kindly.

I have an unofficial history minor (unlike you), and while I'm not a lawyer, I do as a result know something of Constitutional Law and therefore understand where the Tea Party's objections are coming from, and I understand the fact that the Tea Party's concerns are valid.

JakobVirgil wrote:
Ok, but since you are consistently wrong about most of what you believe I will take that
as an endorsement. I was a republican before you were even born sweetypie.

I highly doubt that you are that much older than I am, unless you are in your 50's, you wouldn't have been able to vote at most only 1 time before I was born. Furthermore, the fact you can't acknowledge the fact I'm right on issues is rather well known.