Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

sErgEantaEgis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Oct 2011, 5:45 pm

My mom says I must not drink hot water that come from the tap? Why? Is it dangerous? And why is it dangerous?

Baris10
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Oct 2011, 5:55 pm

sErgEantaEgis wrote:
My mom says I must not drink hot water that come from the tap? Why? Is it dangerous? And why is it dangerous?

I think the water used to come from a different source that wasn't as clean; however now it comes from the same source; so she's just old fashioned. It's fine.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 7:40 pm

because it comes from a different tank, the pipes, pipe jointing and so on may be of different materials unapproved for potable water (probably not a big issue unless very old) the fact that its from a storage tank means it may stood long enough to have biological contamination (probably unlikely).

my father lives out in the country where the water comes from a spring via several miles of copper pipe. (his hair turns a bit green sometimes from the copper) once the water mysteriously stopped and someone used a divining rod to locate the point of blockage which turned out to be a decomposing frog.

asperyogi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Oct 2011, 7:50 pm

I've read that the hot water can leak more stuff (metals, copper etc., or plastics molecules depending on what your pipes are made of) out of your pipes than cold water does. Especially if you have old pipes that have started to corrode. If you are sensitive physically, a few molecules every day it can add up to a slow poisoning ... I never drink from the hot tap! Hope this helps. :)

xmh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2011, 10:42 am

In the UK most older properties have a water tank that feeds the bathroom and toilet. This tank also feeds the hot water system (which is another tank). The direct fresh water goes to the kitchen, and is the only water that should be drunk.

The hot water has gone through two tanks, and is less fresh than the water directly from the mains supply.

In newer properties tanks are less common (and the water heating is more often instantaneous [such as with a combi boiler]) so the hot water will be fresher. The water boiler will not be designed to produce drinking water so care should still be taken.