Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 4:10 pm

ive been offered a job opportunity as an office clerk in an organization that does early invention for kids with delays the problem is the location it would take a lttle more than an hour and a half to get there by 2 buses plus then walkin about 1/3 of an mile in an unfamiliar area to the location

the problem is i dont want to be too picky or im worried the organization that is helping me look for a job (VESCID) might stop helping me

what should i do

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 4:14 pm

Why not try it? While you have a job, you can look for another one.

Commuting is probably the hardest part, i've had a 3 hours commute to/from work myself and it was hard to fill that time with something meaningful. If your economy permits it, you could also look into moving closer to the job.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 5:13 pm

I would take the job.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

ChekaMan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Oct 2011, 5:53 pm

Have a go at it.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 6:04 pm

I agree with the others that you should take the job. See if you can find something constructive to do on the commute - reading or maybe using headphones and learning a foreign language or using other audio study materials.

Stick it out for as long as you can then start actively looking for something closer to home. I don't know what the employment situation is like where you are, but in my part of the world it is dire. Always easier to find work if you already have a job and a commute like that demonstrates commitment and reliability.

Good luck and I hope it works out well for you. :)

Gaya
Toucan
Toucan

29 Oct 2011, 3:49 pm

Go for it! The job I'm starting Monday is an hour-long commute one way, so we'll be in it together. :) My solution is going to be having tons and tons of new music to listen to all the time. And I also agree you can always keep looking for something close to home while you're working; that's what I'm going to be doing.