Audio Processing Dysfunction and Sensory processing dysfunct

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

inchangapugs
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Nov 2011, 3:31 am

Hi

I hope this is the right forum for my question. Could anyone who has Audio Processing Dysfunction maybe explain to me how it affects them. In order to help my granddaughter I need to under stand what it is she is hearing when I speak to her. I know she understands all the situations she has managed to copy in her 5 years - but if I ask her something she has not learnt (or memorised) she goes blank - and sometimes will burst into tears- things that we take for granted as understood - Simple please close the front door (without hand movements) sent her in circles until I realised I had never asked her to do that. Once I indicated which door- she was fine. I would really appreciate it if you could explain to me in lay mans terms exactly what it is like having SID so that I can be more patient and work out how to help her without the stress. :?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

02 Nov 2011, 4:00 am

Can she read?

I think I have some audio processing disorder, but I am not sure that it's very severe. I can't lay out exactly what it's like, but:

When someone gives me a list of multiple things, I don't understand anything past the first 1-3 items. My father would rapidfire a list of instructions at me, like: "Clean your room, do your laundry, wash the dishes," and I would hear "Clean your room, asdfjiga, uascmv asdfiopgfaj aspoudrvf". My mother worked out that I had some kind of problem when I was four or so and would give me one thing at a time.

I am very visual - you found that with your granddaughter that it's easier for her when you show her. If someone just explains something to me, I may very well not understand what's expected and get intensely frustrated and thus find it harder to work it out myself. It may be a good idea to explicitly show her what you want while saying it. If it's more complex than a single sentence and she can read, it might help to write it down or type it out.

Also, when it comes to sounds, more sounds while I'm confused makes everything worse. Whatever I hear tends to continue in my head like I'm still processing it, and more words will just overlap what's already there, making it difficult to process anything. I end up with a "cluttered" feeling in my brain, and I need to take a cognitive break (like, sleep for an hour or two, or more) to clear everything out. It's hard to think around the clutter, and trying tends to make that worse too.

I'm blanking on other relevant information right now.

inchangapugs
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Nov 2011, 5:13 am

Hi thanks - hearing it from you makes it a lot easier to understand - she is five and is only now learning to write her name - she recognises that the Letter M is from her name but actually will tell me that it is Mackenzie - the fact that it takes more than just a M to write her name seems to be a problem for her.

She is very much a visual learner - anything she can learn she soaks up like a sponge. she just is unable to express herself very well at all at the moment although with the speech therepy and remedial teacher she has made huge strides in the last six months. Any Puzzle type toy and games she loves and does well.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

02 Nov 2011, 5:47 am

Oh, another thing is that it's really hard to separate out sounds and listen to exactly what I want. If someone's talking over the TV I can't tune them out to listen to the TV or tune the TV out to listen to them, and everything is much more likely to dissolve into gibberish. Also more than one person talking at once.

I also have a hard time tuning things out when trying to read.

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 5:49 am

I don't know if this is relevant here, but I just saw this a few days ago so thought I would share -
Building Bridges through Sensory Integration

You can also see the other suggested books.

How do NTs do that?

inchangapugs
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Nov 2011, 6:19 am

Hi

Thank you both - will definately have a look at it. :)

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 8:04 am

Verdandi wrote:
It may be a good idea to explicitly show her what you want while saying it. If it's more complex than a single sentence and she can read, it might help to write it down or type it out.

Would self-made picture cards for some common tasks work with that idea too?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 8:05 am

Sora wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
It may be a good idea to explicitly show her what you want while saying it. If it's more complex than a single sentence and she can read, it might help to write it down or type it out.

Would self-made picture cards for some common tasks work with that idea too?

That seems like a good idea, actually.