For Aspie/Autistic adults/homeowners: Bizarre decor?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Nov 2011, 3:14 pm

I'm just curious as to whether others who have the authority to do so, might do very weird things to their homes in the name of individualistic decor? I have a classic motorcycle in the livingroom, and I plan to lay a polished diamond-tread plate aluminum floor in the entry hall. I also have a giant 1,300-pound Federal Thunderbolt air raid siren mounted on the deck out back, and a 53,000-pound big yellow Caterpillar bulldozer out front of the house, as if it were a car parked there :wink: Oh, and I also have several early model TV sets for decorative purposes around the house. Some rather large.

Charles

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2011, 3:43 pm

Well I like a sober looking house but my aspie wife wants to paint the house in bright colours inside and out.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2011, 3:54 pm

I suspect my wife keeps that part of me in check.

I would like to do Penrose Tilings all over.

Fibonacci Sequences make for cool patterns.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2011, 4:20 pm

Well, not exactly weird, but eccentric in a sense. Currently the dominant color in my apartment is orange/yellow. There's a reddish limestone tufa tread in the gateway of the kitchen. The bathroom walls are tiled with true mosaic arranged into vertical light green/brownish orange/light blue stripes, about two feet wide, that run concentrically, continuing on the floor. Above the tub there's a non-figurative art made of blue and green mosaic tiles. In the kitchen I combined solid conservative wooden (linden) furniture front with American cherry coloring and modern platinum color arched handles.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2011, 4:27 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
Fibonacci Sequences make for cool patterns.

I think we can see it in patterns anyhow. Before I drilled the holes in the front panels for the handles I placed them carefully in such positions so that they looked the most relaxing to my eyes. They are not centered vertically.

echinopsis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Nov 2011, 4:43 pm

i used to put all kinds of photographs and pictures and notes and articles on my walls because i am collecting that kind of stuff since i was little and i somehow need to have it around me. i still like that but my walls are just plain and green right now because that calms me down. ambivalent thing. beautiful distraction vs no distraction whatsoever maybe, i dont know. i wish i could afford an appartment with two rooms. or a house big enough for all the books and plants i want. i suppose thats the reason why i go to university/work.

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Nov 2011, 4:58 pm

Up until a few months ago, my bedroom was exactly the same as it was when I was a child, because I hate change and couldn't bear to change it. The colours were bright, garish, and there was even a mobile hanging from the ceiling. I had a cabin bed that my Dad had built for me.
Then suddenly, out of the blue, I couldn't stand it anymore. I threw out a load of my old stuff, bought a new (normal) bed and some paint, and painted over the garish wallpaper. I'm glad I did it, but at the time it was very difficult to do.

Dae
Toucan
Toucan

06 Nov 2011, 7:17 pm

kx250rider: sounds fun! ...Unless you meant for it to sound 'serious' and rather 'macho'...lol. Naw, I like it. Did you ever see the movie "Grumpy Old Men"? One of the characters made a t.v. into a fish tank.

And I, too, have done a number of 'themes' in rooms and/or for an overall house or apartment. Right now, my 'kick' is having at least one room looking like a garden/forest scene - complete with colored bulb lighting, 'ivy' trailing everywhere, etc. If I could get away with having such in what's currently a rented place, I would get some set props from this local production I know about...they've got all manners of tree trunks, 'shrubbery', 'animals', and the like. :) Maybe another time, another place...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 7:22 pm

I have printouts of The Kinks on one end of my studio apartment and flags and framed pictures on the other end of my apartment, behind me.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 8:09 pm

No bizarre decor for me. I look at houses from a completely functional point of view. It's here to keep the elements off of me. Therefore mine has walls and a roof. No decor to speak of at all.

Lanta
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Nov 2011, 8:16 am

Yup. I have a pair of custom-made two-seater couches in my living area - but instead of matching, one is an amethyst colour and the other is ruby red.

These couches are 'complemented' by lime green and gold scatter cushions.

Many new visitors find the colour combo quite bizarre, but I think it looks beautiful!

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 8:42 am

I tend towards decrepit antique wood furnitire and tarnished brass fittings, and paint murals on most of the walls in rough fingerprint patterns involving a lot of prose text, mostly in muted earth tones (rust & olive, maroon & mustard, etc). I like installing heavy duty electronics toggles in lieu of light switches. Using driftwood or other weathered scrap for door and window trim. Animal skulls over the doors. Bicycle cranks for doorknobs. On the floors, I like beaten and battered old hardwood without any gloss left on it, and slate tile (preferably in randomly broken slabs). Table lamps with brass bases and colored glass bodies (burnt orange, cobalt and deep emerald colors only.) Lampshades recovered with mottled, handmade paper (typically orange or mustard).

That's not weird, is it? :p

stumbelina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Nov 2011, 8:49 am

Im obsessed with anything music, so my room is decorated in tapes, vinyl decks, treble clefs and other musical notes, on my wall and my bed. Its also very colorful!! !! I love it!! I also really love animal print, I have zebra and cow print stuff. When I get my own house, I am going to decorate it all! :)

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 9:00 am

Our first house had bright paint on the walls, nothing sickly, but a little unusual. But, we've kept the colour in this one more subdued. Our eccentricities come out in the artworks we choose. We have paintings of dragons, unicorns, fantasy landscapes, etc.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 9:14 am

if i could get my head screwed on straight, i'd be living in a place with a different theme for every room. one room would look just like the outdoors, with lots of potted plants in the floor as though they were growing up from the ground, with outdoor-style lighting and nature scenes on the walls. another room would be all black which would be my media/music room, which would be full of my collection of vintage electronics on working display- and yet another room would be all white which would be my sleeping room, illuminated at night with soft blue lighting. as it is, the inside of my tin can looks like a garbage dump. :oops: