Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2011, 6:25 pm

Making a joke that doesn't succeed.
Tripping, being clumsy.
Misunderstanding someone.
Accidentally being rude.
Interrupting someone by mistake.

All not a problem, if not done too often or to a large degree.

IMO, as long as an Aspie has an interesting personality, and many good qualities, people will tolerate their social mistakes as long as the good outweighs the bad.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2011, 6:58 pm

I think to some extent you right. Many people I think just misinterpret aspies. But once you've gotten past the initial stages of getting to know each other and actually make it into friendship then your small social quirks will just be apart of you and people will use that to identify you. But I think its getting past the "get to know you stage" is tough since people often hold those social quirks against you.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2011, 7:11 pm

I think this describes me, but because I play it safe and don't open my mouth usually.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2011, 11:50 pm

minervx wrote:
IMO, as long as an Aspie has an interesting personality, and many good qualities, people will tolerate their social mistakes as long as the good outweighs the bad.

It really depends on the person, too. Certain personalities are just more likely to accept ASD-like quirks.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2011, 12:13 am

My husband ignores all this with me and so does my family. I think anyone who accepts you will ignore it all and just shrug it off knowing that is just you.

I am not very clumsy though but I used to be.

Scotch_Bingington
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Nov 2011, 1:39 am

Yeah small social mistakes like you described really arn't that big a deal, and people make them all the time, but I still have trouble getting that through my head personally. I'll be doing just fine then do one of those things and then just completely shut down for the duration I'm around that person(s). eh still working on it I guess

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2011, 7:01 am

minervx wrote:
All not a problem, if not done too often or to a large degree.

Sure, but what if one can't help doing them too often?

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View