You look average, autistic people look ugly or ret*d...

Page 2 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

OldFashioned
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 8:47 pm

marshall wrote:
Kids and teenagers are often idiots.

Uhm, the person is 76 years old.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 9:40 pm

autism runs in my family and we're a cute bunch.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 9:44 pm

OldFashioned wrote:
marshall wrote:

Some people never grow out of their idiocy.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 9:54 pm

OldFashioned wrote:
marshall wrote:

They probably haven't been exposed to decent representations of ASD people in the media.

BigBadBrad
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Nov 2011, 1:53 am

OldFashioned wrote:
marshall wrote:

Maybe don't punch this person in the eye then either, lol.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 4:48 am

That person is ignorant.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 6:23 am

BigBadBrad wrote:
OldFashioned wrote:
marshall wrote:

Maybe don't punch this person in the eye then either, lol.

Haha that is probably frowned upon, yes.
My grandmother used to hold my baby boy as she was watching TV and tell him, when a Black person appeared on screen "look, look how funy he is!! he's all black! " I still chuckle at the ridiculousness of this..... Old people are like regular people, some of them are realllyyy stupid.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 6:39 am

OldFashioned wrote:
marshall wrote:

Now that you have clarified the person's age it makes it easier for me to understand. The elderly of our generation would not have been exposed to autism in it's less severe forms when they were young. My Mum who is in her 40s said that she only met a small amount of people with Down syndrome and can't recall ever coming across people with my kind of conditions when she was young. Back then they hid people like me away from view of society. The people who would have been the subject of research would not have been high functioning autistics, but severely autistic people who probably also had accompanying learning difficulties or genetic disorders which made their facial features different. It is a pretty ignorant view of autistic people, but some people will never learn.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 6:53 am

OldFashioned wrote:
marshall wrote:

That explains that person's response. That person was around at a time when autism was just starting to become recognized.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 9:11 am

I would have said:

"Oh, so you're autistic?"

edit:

Actually I would have thought to say that some time later after the original conversation, after running it back and forth through my mind. Then I would have thought he was stupid and had ugly thoughts. Which, by his definition, makes him autistic.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 10:35 am

OldFashioned wrote:
marshall wrote:

If he literally said that he thought all autistics look "ugly and retarted" I guess he's just an old crank in need of sensitivity training. Maybe it's just plain ignorance though.

People with contorted or blank facial expressions usually have some form of cerebral palsy. Both autism and mental retardation can be co-morbid with cerebral palsy but autism alone doesn't cause facial motor deformities. Also, not everyone with a contorted or unusual facial expression due to CP is mentally ret*d. Some people who look "ret*d" actually have above normal intelligence so you can't ever judge a book by its cover.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 10:48 am

marshall wrote:
Some people who look "ret*d" actually have above normal intelligence so you can't ever judge a book by its cover.

Like Steven Hawkenings, who looks like he has a severe palsy, but is a little bit more than "above normal intelligence".

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 10:54 am

Ganondox wrote:
marshall wrote:
Some people who look "ret*d" actually have above normal intelligence so you can't ever judge a book by its cover.

Like Steven Hawkenings, who looks like he has a severe palsy, but is a little bit more than "above normal intelligence".

He doesn't have CP but amyotrophic lateral sclerosis which is a degenerative motor neuron disease. The effects are similar to a severe case of CP (messed up motor neurons and partial paralysis) but CP usually doesn't get worse with time. He looked completely normal in his younger years before developing the disease.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 11:12 am

marshall wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
marshall wrote:

He doesn't have CP but amyotrophic lateral sclerosis which is a degenerative motor neuron disease. The effects are similar to a severe case of CP (messed up motor neurons and partial paralysis) but CP usually doesn't get worse with time. He looked completely normal in his younger years before developing the disease.

I knew that, that's why I said it looks like he has a severe palsy. Hawking's is actually a unique case as normal person with ALS would have died a long time ago.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 12:46 pm

Ganondox wrote:
marshall wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
marshall wrote:

I knew that, that's why I said it looks like he has a severe palsy. Hawking's is actually a unique case as normal person with ALS would have died a long time ago.

Most people with ALS don't choose to have the extreme life-prolonging interventions he has chosen. Given that the brain itself and intelligence are unaffected, I can't blame him for choosing as he did, though.

And that idiot who said that about autistic people... :roll: ignorance has no bounds...

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 2:00 pm

Actually yes I was told that on several occasions, that I look too good to be autistic. And before I had myself diagnosed I had this stereotype of autistic people having certain looks though I didn't concider myself being judgemental. TBH the first thought I had when I was suggested I might have ASD was "wait a minute, but I do look good". I think this is the public perception of autism mainly formed by associating it with...