You look average, autistic people look ugly or ret*d...

Page 3 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 2:21 pm

Math is hard.

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 6:46 pm

Jellybean wrote:
OldFashioned wrote:
marshall wrote:
Kids and teenagers are often idiots.

Uhm, the person is 76 years old.

Now that you have clarified the person's age it makes it easier for me to understand. The elderly of our generation would not have been exposed to autism in it's less severe forms when they were young. My Mum who is in her 40s said that she only met a small amount of people with Down syndrome and can't recall ever coming across people with my kind of conditions when she was young. Back then they hid people like me away from view of society. The people who would have been the subject of research would not have been high functioning autistics, but severely autistic people who probably also had accompanying learning difficulties or genetic disorders which made their facial features different. It is a pretty ignorant view of autistic people, but some people will never learn.

Also, Downs babies usually died very young until the doctors learned more about how to keep them alive. When I was a child, there were no Downs adults, or even teenagers. See Dale Evans' "Angel Unawares", a book about her own Downs child, who I believe died about age 4. If money could have kept her alive, with Roy Rogers and Dale Evans for parents, it would have.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 6:59 pm

shrox wrote:
Math is hard.

Wrong thread?

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 7:02 pm

It's not that surprising. Autism is associated with mental retardation by many in which genetic conditions come into play which would effect appearance. Fragile X comes to mind of autistic people having a certain appearance.

NZaspiegirl016
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Nov 2011, 10:58 pm

I definitely think the person who said that doesn't know what he/she is talking about. Everyone looks different, no matter what the condition. My friend looks quite normal, but he's actually low-functioning autistic. My mum even said he looks quite normal.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 11:16 pm

OldFashioned wrote:
This is what someone said to me after I told them about my condition. I wish I'd never told them. They claim that all autists are ugly or look like ret*ds... That's ridiculous, it's a mental condition not a genetic one. The fact that most autists are ugly to that person has nothing to do with them being autistic, it's just because the majority of humans are ugly or average. What do you think?

First off, nobody knows for certain yet if Autism is or is not genetic. Many feel it is. I feel it could be, but isn't always. Personally, I think Autism has multiple causes, none of which has been identified.

Second, trust me, most Autistics are NOT ugly to "that person." And I use the term "person" very loosely. "That person" is a bigoted, ignorant, foolish and stupid one, who probably doesn't even KNOW anyone Autistic.

Avoid said "person," and find someone with a brain that actually USES it, and talk to them.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 1:53 am

Both these guys are autistic and non-verbal (that ought to be autistic enough for any critic). I think they cover a range from a little odd looking to better than average looking. So, as to the claim that all autistics are ugly: there's a counterexample.

Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 6:38 am

I've met some gorgeous aspies in my time.

Just saying. :wink:

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 6:58 am

I hate how these threads are cruel to some aspie people

They also divide this community and create disharmony

Members could refrain from this and show more understanding to those less fortunate

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 8:55 am

Here is helpful fun reference picture. It is me trying to look like an idiot.

My dad though it was the nicest, most "sincere" smile he ever saw of me in a photo. Um....

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 8:59 am

Oh, I missed my own point there for a second.

Usually my face is very blank or a grimace (when I'm concentrating.) A big smile looks more like a smug little smirk.

Makes me wonder if your unpleasant NT associate has only seen such expressions as those on the faces of people that were identified to it as Autistic.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 1:59 pm

Ganondox wrote:
shrox wrote:
Math is hard.

Wrong thread?

I meant smiling is hard.

chrisnificent
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Jan 2012, 3:53 am

OldFashioned wrote:
This is what someone said to me after I told them about my condition. I wish I'd never told them. They claim that all autists are ugly or look like ret*ds... That's ridiculous, it's a mental condition not a genetic one. The fact that most autists are ugly to that person has nothing to do with them being autistic, it's just because the majority of humans are ugly or average. What do you think?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. difference of opinions are for the most part meaningless because different people have their perceptions on what beauty is (correct me if i am wrong). Also, many people can be so f***ing ignorant with the R word nowadays. If they cannot accept you for who you are, the f**k with them. They are just a waste of time and space.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 9:48 am

Burnbridge wrote:

My dad though it was the nicest, most "sincere" smile he ever saw of me in a photo. Um....

In that picture you look like Gary Busey when he played Buddy Holly. It's a compliment. I love Gary Busey.

As for the OP, if he's 76 are you sure he's not confusing Autism with something else? Sometimes at that age people start kind of losing the ability to make distinctions in certain things. Then again. not all of them do.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

HazelEye
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jan 2012, 9:51 am

Burnbridge wrote:

This is the scariest thing I've seen yet.

no_added_sugar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jan 2012, 10:00 am

I think perhaps they had it confused with a different syndrome. Still very rude, what a back handed compliment. Attractiveness is really subjective though and all sorts of people can be beautiful despite having disabilities normally associated with unattractiveness. As it goes all the people I know on the spectrum are actually better looking than average. Must say meltdowns aren't my bro's prettiest moments though.