Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 11:12 pm

If I ever get a facebook, I will not use it.

Circle989898
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 11:24 pm

Mark Zuckerberg is going to throw a hissy fit on this thread

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 4:54 am

It helps me remember birthdays, so I guess it's good for something.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Nov 2011, 7:17 am

It depresses me. I only made one a while ago to stay in contact with people I knew from another state. I recently deleted some people that I know for real because their statuses always upset me. Now I'm worried that if I run into them they will mention it.

I was upset recently because I never do anything & I had actually went a few places about a week ago & had photos but when I posted them no one "liked" them at all. It's so stupid but I felt that I posted them at the right time of day & everything. It was like being ignored.

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 9:06 am

LadySera wrote:
It depresses me. I only made one a while ago to stay in contact with people I knew from another state. I recently deleted some people that I know for real because their statuses always upset me. Now I'm worried that if I run into them they will mention it.

I was upset recently because I never do anything & I had actually went a few places about a week ago & had photos but when I posted them no one "liked" them at all. It's so stupid but I felt that I posted them at the right time of day & everything. It was like being ignored.

Up until 2 years ago I didn't really like using facebook as much because my NT friends were all doing really well. They were going to College and having the time of their lives. Now some of them have dropped out or finished school and the harsh reality of the work force has finally started to hit them. Some of my friends have huge debt and can't get jobs, and I spent all that time getting jealous of them on Facebook for nothing. Now I feel bad because I'm the one who's doing better than some of them. I've also become comfortable with the fact that all the major social events they participated in were things I might not have enjoyed even if I was a part of them. I know what I enjoy doing, and what I don't now. What makes my friends happy doesn't always make me happy and so when people "like" things on facebook I don't get upset if it isn't my stuff. Hell I look at my friends photos and I don't click the "like" button or leave a comment most of the time. It doesn't matter. What matters more is that I'm still acknowledging their existence and trying to keep in touch. Being a good friend to them when they do want to talk to me. I'm a little lucky I do have wonderful friends on the spectrum and NT friends that have similar interests. I did notice the NT friends come and go a lot, but it doesn't bother me anymore. I'm never completely alone, and my spectrum friends become depressed and isolated very easily as well so it's good that we never completely lose contact.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 2:07 pm

Tequila wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I understand why Facebook would be enjoyable for people who actually have friends.

Well, don't be on Facespace then. Stay here, you know, with your real friends.

Stay where? Who are these real friends?

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 08 Nov 2011, 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

necroluciferia
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Nov 2011, 12:19 pm

I get really upset over facebook sometimes because I feel like people ignore me on there and I don't get as many comments etc. as other people do. I feel like it's my only connection to the outside world though so won't get rid of it

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 3:47 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Tequila wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I understand why Facebook would be enjoyable for people who actually have friends.

Well, don't be on Facespace then. Stay here, you know, with your real friends.

Stay where? Who are these real friends?

I think I got your question this time.

No, Tequila, while i spend a huge time on WP (because there's nothing else), I do not intend to make it the alternative of my social life for good, and online friends are not substitution to real-life friends. Online friends are just potential real friends, but I am afraid they can't be more than that.

I want to live more than just a virtual life.

Caribou
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Nov 2011, 1:53 pm

I don't use it to contact friends or anything like that and I don't talk to anyone on there usually. I think I have it originally because of my sister maybe.. I'm not sure I don't remember.

I keep it because I like reading the joke pictures that people post, and I like playing the little games sometimes if I'm really bored and that's it. The majority of people on my facebook aren't people I talk to, know or anything like that. They are just there for either the games I play on facebook, or they may be there because of some other game I played and they asked to add me.

Ollytheaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Nov 2011, 1:53 pm

I have facebook but I have no use for it, It servers no real purpose to me and when I do go on I will be off it within 30 seconds haha. I post the odd video and picture but never really make statuses

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 3:08 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
No, Tequila, while i spend a huge time on WP (because there's nothing else), I do not intend to make it the alternative of my social life for good, and online friends are not substitution to real-life friends. Online friends are just potential real friends, but I am afraid they can't be more than that.

Are there any Lebanese forums you could go to?

kurai

12 Nov 2011, 8:00 pm

the whole concept is strange to me.
perhaps it's because i grew up with a different style of platform - it took me a long time to get used to ubb style boards also ... i liked tree structured boards a lot.
also i don't see the point to have an account and only 2 people to interact with, which whom i speak via icq/skype anyway. people who are not very close to me are not of my interest and i need a topic or a connection like this theme based board to feel linked in a way that i am willing to share information with them.

MacDragard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 12:42 am

I was one of the first users of Facebook back when you had to be a student of a select college to sign up for an account. It was primarily designed as a way for college students, particularly on huge campuses, to network and meet each other, and there wasn't a bunch of bullcrap. I'm really shocked as to how much of a monstrosity it has become today.

Funny thing, there's this huge exodus of people on Xanga who are deleting their Facebook accounts for some strange reason.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 12:44 am

MacDragard wrote:
I was one of the first users of Facebook back when you had to be a student of a select college to sign up for an account. It was primarily designed as a way for college students, particularly on huge campuses, to network and meet each other, and there wasn't a bunch of bullcrap. I'm really shocked as to how much of a monstrosity it has become today.

Funny thing, there's this huge exodus of people on Xanga who are deleting their Facebook accounts for some strange reason.

Look how big WrongPlanet has gotten.

ManicMinx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Nov 2011, 6:59 pm

LOL wow I thought I was the only one who hated facebook! I think people are so boring because they post things like "i'm going to the store" and stuff like that. And yes, what pisses me off is that it's a popularity contest. Why can't people be more realistic? I feel like some of them are so fake and just use facebook to show off material crap.

Preston
Raven
Raven

14 Nov 2011, 7:53 pm

I made and remade several accounts, each associated with a request from some friend. I stopped using it some time back, and barely used it when I did have an account. The impression I got, based on my limited experience, is that it's good for women generally and anyone popular, neither of which applies to me ^_^