Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

lee93mcd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Nov 2011, 8:02 pm

Will be applying for colleges soon and hopefully getting in next year but ive no idea what to expect. Any suggestions essentially for like mentally preparing yourself for the situation? What to expect and all that stuff.

lightening020
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 10:06 pm

I would say it only happens once. Make sure you keep pushing your comfort zone every day every week of every month. Don't end up on the computer 24/7.

Work out as much as you can

BigBadBrad
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Nov 2011, 2:06 am

The Navigating College handbook might have some of what you are looking for, Click here
Check out the home page of the linked site for a description.
One major thing to remember for us on the spectrum is that everyone at college is out of their element for the first few weeks, so its a good time to meet people, whether they are in your class or residence. Everyone seemed to enjoy getting through the first weeks as group experience.
I found it unsettling being by myself, and struggled a little with the day to day routine stuff. If you rely on routine, then maybe try to figure yours out ahead of time, or write lists for the first while.
As far as the stress of actually going through with it, I personally found that I had greatly overestimated how difficult and confusing the time would be. My stress was worse a month before I started school than a few weeks in. Most schools are very good at walking new students through the first weeks.

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 4:56 am

Look around the campus and find a comfortable place to escape from stress and wild kids. When I went I stayed in the library most of the time.