Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

28 Sep 2006, 8:37 pm

I was wondering if there is anybody on here that lives by themselves in either a house or apartment. I do, I've lived alone since i was 25.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 8:55 pm

I have 2 roommates who i never see. Does that count?

Technically I am not alone, but effectively I am.

Philostrate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Sep 2006, 9:30 pm

I haved lived alone since I was 19. I actualy moved abroad.

ProwlingParadox
Raven
Raven

28 Sep 2006, 10:02 pm

i moved in a place by my self about a mounth ago its going pretty well so far. but only time will tell if i really like it for the long term.

28 Sep 2006, 10:04 pm

I live alone. Have been for over a year now. It's so nice.

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 10:10 pm

By "living alone," do you mean "are you supporting yourself, or do you mean "there is no one else in your place of residence?"

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 10:13 pm

Quote:
I have 2 roommates who i never see. Does that count?

Technically I am not alone, but effectively I am.

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 11:59 pm

I've lived alone for a month. I lived at home in my parents basement while I went to school. Living on my own is awesome!

devonmike
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Sep 2006, 9:13 am

I live alone and for me it is the best way to go. I have been married but we ended up living separate lives under the same roof.
I am pretty quirky about daily routines, and I am meticulously tidy, which seems to p*ss a lot of people off.
I don't particularly like having visitors either.
I can't really see me ever living with anyone else - and I am quite happy with that.

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 9:27 am

Nope I'm not alone I still live with my parents

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 9:58 am

I live alone, not even a roomate after the disaster in college.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 10:04 am

I live alone, and have since I was 19.

jammie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Sep 2006, 10:30 am

i am 17, i was made to live on my own by social services 4 days after turning 17, i lasted 3 weeks before i had a severe meltdown / shutdown and now i am tempoary living at a "speical needs center" hopefully i will be moving to a more specific place near where my school is soon. We are waiting for an assesemnt.

I hated it on my, yes i could be obbsessional, and my baby thing could be done openly, but the lack of support made me constantly worry, in the end i couldent handle it and i feel apart, I am lucky in that my best freind mum is an autism expert and she knew what was going on. ater 9 hours curled up in a small in the corner under the table at heres Social Serice relised they had made a mistake.

because i grew up in the fostercare system i was never properly identified as autistic, and its only been in the last 6 moths or so that the authrities have come to relise it, many people who had known me for a while all though that i had autism or similar, and when i was younger i came very close to getting a formal diagnoses.

We now waitinf for the assesment and formal diagnoses then hopefully, i can find somewhere to live that is more suitible. Most people where i am now have mental health problems, I am the odd one out.

In short if you stilllive with your parents you do not know how lucky you are.

If you live alone and you can handle it you do not know how impressed i am

^licks^

jammie & lion

$lion = "constant";
$lil_lion = "escape";
$baby = "dum dum, babo";
$jammie = $lion."sheepy and my comforts";

$jamie = $lion.$lil_lion.$baby.$jammie;
?>

Corcovado
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 10:49 am

I live alone, and love it. I decide when and how to do things.

When I was 18 I moved with my mom into a small apartment, and we got on each others nerves. One day I met a girl from school who said she lived alone, we talked about it and from that day I could not wait to move out.

I've been on my own for almost 30 years.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 12:03 pm

jammie wrote:
In short if you stilllive with your parents you do not know how lucky you are.

If you live alone and you can handle it you do not know how impressed i am

Note that "live alone" in my case means that nobody else lives in the same apartment with me.

I get two to three staff in my apartment throughout the day, and at night there is an electronic surveillance system where staff will show up if certain things happen or if I press a button to call them. I also have a friend three doors down the hall from me who helps me out with stuff, and there's a full-time nurse who works downstairs in the building.

In short, I actually get more assistance now than I did in institutions, but sleep without anyone there overnight (although there can be someone there at a moment's notice if I need anyone, and in addition to that I have a friend three doors down from me on the same floor of the apartment building, and one of her friends across the hall from us will also help either of us out in emergencies).

There are fortunately in some places options besides living totally without assistance and living in more institutional type arrangements, the key is generally showing them that you qualify which can be a total mess of paperwork and diagnoses and crap. (And which I had help with from two advocacy organizations.)

It can also be really hard to qualify in some places if your diagnosis is Asperger rather than autism -- some have a category for that and some do not, and some officially do but don't really. Since my diagnosis is autism and my scores on functioning tests are so low (I'm in the level just above the absolute bottom level by their standards) it's easier for me to qualify than it is for some people.

Just on my own without any of this, and forget it, but fortunately there is all of this.

mysteriouslyabsent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2006, 6:57 pm

I live by myself, I've always been fiercly independant, I hate other people doing things for me, I want to do things my way, on my own.

I eventually had enough living at home at 22, quit my job and moved to the otherside of the world, got a tiny room/flat and a new job and have been completely self sufficent ever since.

I've been considering moving somewhere else lately, preferably somewhere a bit cheaper or closer to work, which will likely mean sharing with other people since London is so expensive otherwise, not sure how I will get on with that though. I know I am fine by myself with my own space but living close together with strangers (almost certainly NT ones) in the long term might be a problem.

Motivating yourself to get out and do chores is probably the hardest part, I would probably stay indoors all day but I try to keep to something of a routine, which means I tend to do everything on autopilot so it's not so bad.

I'm something of a 'loner' who prefers my own space so living alone, although it is difficult, is frankly easier than living in close contact with family or other people. Not everyone is like that, you also need a certain amount of determination to see through the hard times as well.