Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 6:46 pm

Does anyone ever find themselves making noise when they overstimulated by a surprise touch or anything? Ok, I don't think that I'm as prone to sensory overload as most of the people here, but I'm definately hypersensitive to sound and touch, and while I usually don't react much to surprise touch besides tensing up, but if the touch is more surprising and stimulating I react more, jumping up and sometimes making noises. Today some girls discovered discovered when they were sneaky up behind the guys and poking them for a reaction as they are lighthearted, silly, and mischievous that when I tickled in the lowerback/sides from behind that I squeak loudly. I didn't retaliate until they did this several times and then I swore at them and they stopped. I'm not angry at them as I feel they weren't be malicious and were just doing it as they found my reaction funny and cute, though its a lot less amusing when your on the receiving end and its repeated. Sudden sounds produce similar reactions from me, but I can't recall a time where I made an audiable noise from hearing sudden noise.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Sparhawke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2011, 6:54 pm

I do not know of this personally when you speak of squeaking or making odd sounds, but I do tense up a lot...

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 7:05 pm

If I'm upset I don't, if I'm not upset then I meep when surprise touched. When I'm upset enough then I am too tense to have a sudden reaction.

The sound I make is best describable by 'meep' though. It's somewhat amusing, and amuses me too. I also bat my hands around in the air in ways that are completely unable to help with anything when am tickled (and not upset). People find these hilarious, but know not to push me too far, and if I stop reacting then they know am upset and should see what's wrong.

Other senses I don't react verbally too, probably because they tense me up immediately as touch is my least problematic/sensitive sense.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 9:18 pm

Gawwwd when I was in high school, my friend used to randomly poke me all the time to get me to squeak. She called them "pony noises". :(

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 4:09 am

I find myself yowling like a cat if I'm startled.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Nov 2011, 12:03 pm

Embarrassingly, yes. A 6-foot 185-lb bodybuilder shrieking like a 2-year-old girl who sees a spider. At least I know it's not my fault! Happens when someone suddenly says something before I see them, in a quiet room.

Charles

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 12:57 pm

kx250rider wrote:
Happens when someone suddenly says something before I see them, in a quiet room.

Charles

lol, that reminded me of this time when I was a kid and my brother snuck into my room while I went to the bathroom. Then when I got back in my bed, he just said "hello," and I freaked out and started screaming simply because I wasn't expecting anybody to be there.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 1:01 pm

Well yes I do not enjoy being startled.......never really did due to the AS sensory isssues I have, but I also have PTSD so that makes it especially horrible. So if I get startled I'll probably jump and yell something like sh*t or f*ck or some other profanity I try not to but its a little hard when my body goes into survival/defense mode.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 5:39 pm

I make an "eek" sound. It's very embarassing.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 9:01 am

kx250rider wrote:
Embarrassingly, yes. A 6-foot 185-lb bodybuilder shrieking like a 2-year-old girl who sees a spider. At least I know it's not my fault! Happens when someone suddenly says something before I see them, in a quiet room.

Charles

I've been known to squeal like a girl when startled. :oops:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 1:41 am

i have an overactive startle reflex but i don't squeek then. i used to squeek as a child when i was anxious, to the point that my mother thought there were mice in the house until she found out it was me.

Jessi_in_wonderland
Toucan
Toucan

15 Nov 2011, 4:00 am

I scream / squeal if I'm snuck up on or tickled. It's embarrassing because if someone tried to flirt with me by tickling me I'll scream. When I'm snuck up on I also jump and throw my hands up protectively, so my friend laughs whenever I do it. His favorite pastime is hiding somewhere and popping up when I least expect it.