Page 15 of 16 [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 7:21 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
that's getting silly. remove the butter sauce. show steaming shrimp, freshly cooked and i will salivate. i am not sure why you're having such difficulty with this concept. people have reflexive reactions all the time to things that they do not want to actually have.

Such positive reflexive reactions on something mean that they would like to have it, even subconsciously.

no, it really wouldn't. for example, a man may see a scantily clad woman walk by and will reflexively check her out and may have a fleeting reaction, even if she is not the body type he prefers - simply because his instinct is to respond.

You really believe that?

mv
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 7:22 pm

I do. I can appreciate a well put-together man, but that doesn't give him *any* sexual advantage with me. YMMV, of course.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 7:39 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
that's getting silly. remove the butter sauce. show steaming shrimp, freshly cooked and i will salivate. i am not sure why you're having such difficulty with this concept. people have reflexive reactions all the time to things that they do not want to actually have.

Such positive reflexive reactions on something mean that they would like to have it, even subconsciously.

no, it really wouldn't. for example, a man may see a scantily clad woman walk by and will reflexively check her out and may have a fleeting reaction, even if she is not the body type he prefers - simply because his instinct is to respond.

You really believe that?

yes, because it isn't necessarily a stereotypically attractive female that the male is responding to. i just asked a male for confirmation lol. and he is not the male who i am dating. :lol:

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 8:06 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

You really believe that?

yes, because it isn't necessarily a stereotypically attractive female that the male is responding to. i just asked a male for confirmation lol. and he is not the male who i am dating. :lol:

I will vouch for that as well :lol:

You will reap what you've sown.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 10:24 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
emlion wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
mv wrote:
Did anyone see that side-by-side J. Lo. picture that was floating around in another thread here? Pretty much everyone (at least the impression I got) agreed that the made up side was gorgeous, alluring, sexy. And she had a *metric buttload* of makeup on in that picture. The other side, without makeup, she just looked normal. Tired and middle-aged, maybe. You'd never, ever notice her in a million years. Maybe that's what's being said about heavy makeup being attention-getting?

hallelujah, yes.

i think when i think of 'heavy' makeup i think of awfully applied transvestite/crossdresser parodies as opposed to skillfully applied heavy makeup.
maybe that's sort of what people are thinking?

quite possibly. men might have a different definition of heavy.

i've seen men react positively when it is applied like this, for example:

Ah, this isn't what I would consider heavy makeup.

But if that's what you meant, then yes, men generally find them attractive.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 10:28 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
and i expect some kind of actual scholarly refutation if you expect to be take seriously, MCalavera.

You mean it doesn't interest you what the women themselves are saying in other forums?

How do you think studies like what you linked to work? They rely on what people say and/or react.

Do you think those women were not being honest with themselves by fawning over hot muscly masculine bodies?

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 10:29 pm

MCalavera wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
and i expect some kind of actual scholarly refutation if you expect to be take seriously, MCalavera.

You mean it doesn't interest you what the women themselves are saying in other forums?

How do you think studies like what you linked to work? They rely on what people say and/or react.

Do you think those women were not being honest with themselves by fawning over hot muscly masculine bodies?

i already explained the phenomenon. and i take it that you cannot refute the research.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 10:32 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

i already explained the phenomenon. and i take it that you cannot refute the research.

Refute what? I don't have an issue with that study.

Would you like to answer my questions again?

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 10:34 pm

MCalavera wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

oh ok, glad you agree. and it doesn't interest me what women on other forums are saying. i am not sure what you are asking with the middle question. and i already talked about the last question, ad nauseum.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 10:39 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

oh ok, glad you agree. and it doesn't interest me what women on other forums are saying. i am not sure what you are asking with the middle question. and i already talked about the last question, ad nauseum.

I wouldn't say that's a rational approach to make. If the majority of women react to something in a very positive manner, then it should matter to us whenever we're discussing a topic like this.

Reality: easy to argue but hard to live against.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 10:40 pm

anecdotal accounts from online forums are not known for accuracy.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 10:54 pm

hyperlexian wrote:

Yeah, like some of the posts here on WP. That's why I go by how they react mostly, not simply by just what they say with pure words.

I see no hidden agenda behind women praising muscly bodies online. They do so because they mean it.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 10:57 pm

MCalavera wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

Yeah, like some of the posts here on WP. That's why I go by how they react mostly, not simply by just what they say with pure words.

I see no hidden agenda behind women praising muscly bodies online. They do so because they mean it.

of course *some* women like muscles. that wasn't ever disputed. *some* women also like men who are thin or fat or average or any one of these types.

deconstruction
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 2:40 pm

I don't know why it's so difficult to believe some women aren't crazy about 6 packs. I mean, I'd never reject a guy just because he's muscular/has 6 pack, but it's not something I fantasize about or something I'd like my guy to have.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 4:38 pm

deconstruction wrote:
I don't know why it's so difficult to believe some women aren't crazy about 6 packs. I mean, I'd never reject a guy just because he's muscular/has 6 pack, but it's not something I fantasize about or something I'd like my guy to have.

deconstruction, you said it yourself in the first page. You have a problem with the personality that's often associated with 6-pack abs, not the 6-pack abs itself.

Just as Boo said.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 5:25 am

I have also already discussed that exercise and working out are positive treatments towards anxiety, depression and other symptoms. If people want to generalize people based on a misconception, that's up to them. There are plenty of athletic people who do sports for various reasons, I have even done runs for charity and know people that are climbing mountains for charity.

I also think sports can bring people together, joining a sports team or a gym is a great way to motivate yourself in other aspects of your life and most charity events are based around sports.