How could I find a loyal, hard-working business partner?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

21 Nov 2011, 11:31 pm

Hello there, I know it seems kind of funny that I'm posting this topic here, but I reasoned that NTs would probably have the best insight into NTs and it seems like the parenting forums has a lot of NTs with a lot of life experience which is just what I'm looking for.

Anyway, there's a good possibility that I'm a fair bit more autistic than the average person. Or maybe a lunatic. Possibly schizophrenic. I don't know exactly, but I do seem to stand out around others and I communicate in a different way than "most people" and it tends to lead to people, when they get into groups, to exclude me and/or stab me in the back.

Anyway, I'm looking for a business partner because I'm going to be focusing almost exclusively on marketing. This business partner will be in in charge of the crews and being at the front lines of customer service so the customers will mainly get their impression of the business from him. Since this person would theoretically have a lot of influence within the company, I need to get this person "on my side" and this person would probably have to be "normal" if he's going to be great with the customers. As the company grows in size, though, I could imagine it'd be possible with his influence that if a difference should arise, it could be catastrophic. He could ... I don't know... do a lot of damage to the company, somehow. I'm kind of getting the impression that he could get together with the crew, for example, and leave and start a competing business and steal the customers.

So, if the same "normal person"+"me"=disaster dynamic is repeated with this guy, that would be bad. So, I need him on my side. Anyone have any advice for finding such a person and maintaining a good relationship with him so that he's loyal to the company?

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 2:02 pm

Don't have much advice to offer except that many professionals are required to sign a contract that contains a "non-compete" clause when they go to work for or with someone. This would legally prevent them from doing what you describe, starting a new company that would directly compete with yours.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 2:48 pm

There is no way to completely avoid the risks that you see. The best bet is finding someone that is a really good match, different strengths and weaknesses from you, so that they never doubt your value, and will always see your destinies as intertwined. This a huge personality match problem: not only do you need to hire a certain skill set, but you also need to hear a certain personality that is compatible with yours.

What I suggest is this: once you've found a candidate that you think you like, get along with, etc., pay a professional to do the next interview (line up this professional before you start with interviews). This person's job would be the evaluate the sincerity of the candidate, if the candidate seems to respect and understand your position, if the candidate has the values you seek, etc. As a CPA I've often helped clients interview comptrollers and bookkeepers, so I don't find it that big a stretch to think you could find someone who knows you well enough, and has enough people perception, to increase the odds on picking the right person.

Once you've decided on a process, never settle. If either you or your consultant have any reservations, the person is not hired. Do it right, to the extent such a thing is ever possible, or not at all.

Once you can say you've used the best due diligence possible in the hiring process, you'll have to step back and let the chips fall as they may. You are right, you could get screwed, but there is not a single situation in the business world where that is impossible. You have to pick the right person and then follow it out.

As a practical matter, you can and should sign non-compete agreements, set a trial period, make sure you have employment at will clauses, and so on. If the person starts and you realize you don't trust them, you want to be able to stop it then and there. Trust is going to be everything.

My son wants to be an inventor and maybe have his own company some day, and I see your concerns as issues for him. I'll probably help him interview, if it ever comes to that - - or he may call in some of the kids he's grown up with, who life has shown can be trusted. Definitely scary, but what options do you have? Either you take a calculated risk or you don't grow your company. So you hedge your bets best you can and hope the universe favors you.

PaintingDiva
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2011, 10:19 am

Finding the perfect business partner....

INC

Or this article:
Linked In

and one more website, evidently, this is a common problem, maybe you can have your own 'event' to check out possible business partners?

SocialDevCamp

Best of luck!