What does the Jigsaw puzzle piece icon mean?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Nov 2011, 3:17 pm

The jigsaw puzzle is often used as a symbol in autism but is rarely explained. I had a look on Google and couldn't find any information about it. What do you believe it means? Just to clarify I mean the actual jigsaw puzzle icon, not the jigsaw ribbon.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 3:28 pm

Well, the NAS (National Autistic Society) says this on the topic of the puzzle piece:

Quote:
I have called this talk 'Perspective on a puzzle piece' the logo of the Society, and I therefore should give a brief history of it. It was designed by a parent member of the Executive Committee, Gerald Gasson, and the minutes of the Executive Meeting of 14 February 1963 read: 'The Committee decided that the symbol of the Society should be the puzzle as this did not look like any other commercial or charitable one as far as they could discover'. It first appeared on our stationary and then on our newsletter in April 1963. Our Society was the first autistic society in the world and our puzzle piece has, as far as I know, been adopted by all the autistic societies which have followed, many of which in their early days turned to us for information and advice.

The puzzle piece is so effective because it tells us something about autism: our children are handicapped by a puzzling condition; this isolates them from normal human contact and therefore they do not 'fit in'. The suggestion of a weeping child is a reminder that autistic people do indeed suffer from their handicap.

If, in the future, we can invest in our Society even more thought, effort and commitment, our puzzle piece will, at least in this country, become no longer just a logo on a letterhead but a symbol of hope for autistic people and their families.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 3:32 pm

Autism = Puzzle

i.e. NTs do not know why autistic people act so weird and not like NTs

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Nov 2011, 3:38 pm

Thanks for the explanations, that clears it up for me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 5:31 pm

NTs see us as puzzles to be solved.

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 7:27 pm

Wow, what an obnoxious symbol. I can see now why A.Spectrometers dislike it. And here I thought it represented neurodiversity: many disparate elements working together. Nope.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 9:20 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
NTs see us as puzzles to be solved.

Well then I guess a puzzle should be the symbol of NTs too, as we see them as a puzzle as well.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 3:17 am

I'd see it as a symbol that a piece of us is missing and that's what is wrong with us, like when Jigsaw would cut a puzzle piece from his victims. I don't see that as a good thing and potentially insulting.

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Nov 2011, 4:30 am

From some of the comments I'd see it as the Autism mystery.

From an nt perspective that could mean things like:
Is it a disorder?
How can they be so intelligent if it is a disorder? For example Einstein was Autistic, the most intelligent people in society could also be Autistic, seems strange.
Why does it affect virtually all brain activity and can leave someone unable to walk talk or know anyone is there, right up to very high functioning?

For Autistics, all of the above plus:
Are we aliens, were we put here by them?
Are we here to save humanity or change things for the better?
How come we are incorruptible? How cool is that!
Why are we more logical and not emotionally wrapped up in people or death?
How can we be so different to others and leave nts so baffled? We could just be different to them rather than having a disorder. If they were the minority then they'd be the problem.

I prefer to look at it positively.