Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Beaux
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Nov 2011, 6:33 pm

The last episode is actually quite positive if you can understand what they are talking about (though the preceding episodes are rather psychologically intense, if I recall). Seriously, if you haven't, look up Postmodern existentialism. That will prevent or at least lessen the confusion that turns so many away from the series entirely.

On an unrelated note, my favorite characters were Rei and Shinji. As stated by many others on this site, I find that their struggles are especially relatable to autism, whether they were intended to or not. Also, I know somebody who considers Shinji cool. Yes, like -- 8) -- cool. Well, he said it about the Rebuild films which I guess is understandable considering the end of the second film, but I just thought I'd share that out of context. 'Cause it's more interesting that way.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 1:35 am

Finished the entire series. Well, technically I watched the TV series through episode 24, and then watched End of Evangelion. It was one of the most deranged, yet beautiful pieces of animation I have ever seen in my life. I mean, the art is outdated - but the psychological aspects of it were incredible. My mouth was literally left hanging open by the end.

I am so happy that I decided to finish this series! I think that it may even warrant a second viewing, though I will need to take a break from it for awhile to let it all sink in. Well, regardless of however many times I decide to watch it, I think it's safe to call it a special interest now.

Asuka is my favorite character because she represents what I wish I could be - outgoing, self-confident and assertive. I really like Shinji and Rei too, because like many other aspies, I identify with them. In fact, I am pretty much a female Shinji - highly emotionally sensitive, virtually no self-esteem and avoiding forming relationships with other people because of a fear of getting hurt.

Beaux
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Dec 2011, 7:50 pm

You should watch episodes 25-26. They are my favorite episodes, despite the negative backlash they often receive! :) I also think that, although Anno didn't intend for the ending to be so simple (if one could call it that), The End of Evangelion is not what he had in mind either. My evidence is the complete change of tone from the original episodes to End; if End is what he really wanted, why make the original ending so positive? I think End was at least on some level a "Screw you" toward the people who complained about the original ending. Just a theory, though, so maybe I'm just over thinking things.

Last edited by Beaux on 02 Dec 2011, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 8:51 pm

Beaux wrote:
You should watch episodes 25-26. They are my favorite episodes, despite the negative backlash they often receive! :) I also think that. although Anno didn't intend for the ending to be so simple (if one could call it that), The End of Evangelion is not what he had in mind either. My evidence is the complete change of tone from the original episodes to End; if End is what he really wanted, why make the original ending so positive? I think End was at least on some level a "Screw you" toward the people who complained about the original ending. Just a theory, though, so maybe I'm just over thinking things.

Hmm, you may have a good point. I only watched End of Evangelion instead of eps 25-26 because I had heard that the original ending wasn't what he had wanted and that End of Eva was the "true" ending. After the huge "mental roller coaster" that End of Eva was, maybe it would make me feel better to watch the more uplifting eps 25-26 instead. I hate to think that the "true ending" involves Shinji and Asuka alone on the beach, with the entire world destroyed, and them hating each other so much.

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 1:40 pm

I quite liked the ending to the TV Episodes I preferred them to EoE, nice to know I'm not completely alone in that :)

SandyLife223
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jan 2024, 5:48 am

I was watching it with my brother and friend (let’s just call her Raye) and we enjoyed it!

Niacin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Mar 2024, 1:13 pm

(No spoilers)

Innovative show for its time, 1995.

Beautiful character designs. These characters get figures even today.

Solid animation, but inconsistent.

Great music by the same composer who did Berserk 1997, Bleach and Magi.

Well-directed. Certain action scenes are iconic. You see them once and cannot forget them.

The characterization is superb. Every major character is psychologically fleshed out. It makes sense why they act the way that they do. It's not just for the sake of the plot.

In some ways doesn't hold up well today. Whether budget constraints or stylistic choices, the scenes where characters stare at each other for 20 seconds or over a minute in an elevator are boring to watch.

The story is a mixed bag. Creative for sure, not always in a good way, a bit too wild. Never cared for the religious symbolism, but that's another rabbit hole to dig deep into.

I liked both episodes 25-26 ending and the EoE movie ending. Episodes 25-26, while visually lacking, are clearer than the rest of the series in sending a message, and offer the best deep dive in a character we got. The movie was a crazy fun ride.

Several characters are depressed, have PTSD, social anxiety, and other mental issues.

I can't speak much about the shows' relationship with autism because I don't remember well, I watched it many years ago before I even knew what autism was, but Gendo may be autistic. He shows very little emotion when communicating with his son, trying to make him do this and that because he has a plan. Rei may also be autistic, maybe even more likely than Gendo. Extremely flat facial expressions, almost non-verbal. Shinji too, although he shows a lot more facial expressions, he's got social skills issues.

Don't know much about Hideaki Anno, his depression and emotional state when making Eva or EoE.

Don't care much for the Rebuild movies. The visuals are great, but the characterization is lacking, and that was by far the biggest draw of the original series. The rebuilds do not make up for it with a better plot. I've seen movies 1-3 twice. The first is nigh-identical to the original series, the second closer to a shounen action movie, and the third one is certainly the most interesting. Haven't seen the fourth. My preliminary assessment is that they make for good eye candy and an interesting alternative take on the story with less fleshed out characters, but I haven't been able to identify its themes (or don't remember them) and have yet to watch the last movie.

In short, if you haven't seen Neon Genesis Evangelion, and have watched enough anime that make you think you're into anime, you should watch it, the characters alone are worth it. Do not skip episodes 25 and 26. Death and Rebirth is a skippable recap. End of Evangelion movie is a must watch. No comment on the Rebuilds.