Women Presenting Differently

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Nov 2011, 5:59 pm

Sunshine7 wrote:
Quote:
Judging by the title of the thread and the forum it's posted in, I thought "presenting differently" meant AS females expressing sexual interest differently from NTs during breeding season. Laughing ( I know baboons "present" by bending over and showing their back sides to male suitors.

Yeah I thought this too. :P After all, that's the only valid grammatical use of the word "presenting" in this context...

Sorry if it was misleading, or vague. Vagueness seems to be one of my weak points. :P

Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Nov 2011, 3:53 am

dobrolvr wrote:
Sunshine7 wrote:
Quote:
Judging by the title of the thread and the forum it's posted in, I thought "presenting differently" meant AS females expressing sexual interest differently from NTs during breeding season. Laughing ( I know baboons "present" by bending over and showing their back sides to male suitors.

Yeah I thought this too. :P After all, that's the only valid grammatical use of the word "presenting" in this context...

Sorry if it was misleading, or vague. Vagueness seems to be one of my weak points. :P

No biggie. :)

I was just trying make light of it. :lol:

Zinnel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2011, 7:00 am

oh wow according to the chart every single female friend ive ever had has Aspergers!! !

im surrounded 8O

StonedMoonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2011, 7:36 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
conundrum wrote:
This may be useful--take a look at both tables.

http://help4aspergers.com/pb/wp_a58d4f6 ... 1d2ab3.JPG

= In other term, female AS is an easier and milder condition than the male AS. At least, that how this table portrays it.

More prone to crying in public? This is a female trait (and related to cultural gender-role basis of raising), not a AS. In most cultures, it's shameful for males to cry in public, "men don't cry" is often among the first things fathers in the world say it to their young sons.

More jumpy, dancing, singing, and giggling when happy? All my female coworkers do those when they're happy (except hand flapping), it's not really an AS thing.

"hate injustice" ....ummm....yea right, AS females are Wonder Women and want to fight crime and achieve world peace.

"hate to be misunderstood" ---> WHO EVEN LIKES THAT?

"That can incite rage meltdown" --> whatever, then I am probably a female aspie.

Some of that is true of me...
Chameleon-like, rage-meltdown...but I don't know about the rest. I have a terrible temper.

pastafarian
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 9:13 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
conundrum wrote:

= In other term, female AS is an easier and milder condition than the male AS. At least, that how this table portrays it.

More prone to crying in public? This is a female trait (and related to cultural gender-role basis of raising), not a AS. In most cultures, it's shameful for males to cry in public, "men don't cry" is often among the first things fathers in the world say it to their young sons.

More jumpy, dancing, singing, and giggling when happy? All my female coworkers do those when they're happy (except hand flapping), it's not really an AS thing.

"hate injustice" ....ummm....yea right, AS females are Wonder Women and want to fight crime and achieve world peace.

"That can incite rage meltdown" --> whatever, then I am probably a female aspie.

You are missing a point.

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
"More prone to crying in public? This is a female trait (.....)"

YES but more prone to crying above the baseline of NT females.

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
"More jumpy, dancing, singing, and giggling when happy? All my female coworkers do those when they're happy (except hand flapping), it's not really an AS thing."

YES but more jumpy above the baseline of NT females

etc. etc.

It was kind of given, or wasn't it obvious to you?

Did you do this deliberately, ie to make a joke or to confirm a bias perhaps.
Or did you really just miss that it?

As most here seem more rational than NTs, to me, I'm guessing joke. So if it was more a joke, to doubt the existence of female autistics, why make that? Why would you be antagonistic towards women who might have AS? I don't get it?

I'm a massive Dr Who fan by the way and I love the whole Face of Bo/Jack thing (apart from the fact his ball sack is on his chin).

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 11:17 am

pastafarian wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
conundrum wrote:

You are missing a point.

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
"More prone to crying in public? This is a female trait (.....)"

YES but more prone to crying above the baseline of NT females.

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
"More jumpy, dancing, singing, and giggling when happy? All my female coworkers do those when they're happy (except hand flapping), it's not really an AS thing."

YES but more jumpy above the baseline of NT females

etc. etc.

It was kind of given, or wasn't it obvious to you?

Did you do this deliberately, ie to make a joke or to confirm a bias perhaps.
Or did you really just miss that it?

As most here seem more rational than NTs, to me, I'm guessing joke. So if it was more a joke, to doubt the existence of female autistics, why make that? Why would you be antagonistic towards women who might have AS? I don't get it?

I'm a massive Dr Who fan by the way and I love the whole Face of Bo/Jack thing (apart from the fact his ball sack is on his chin).

I didn't miss anything and no it was not a joke - however it was more of a satire because this chart is stupid.

The chart's title is obvious "Summery of main Female/Male differences" , so it's a Female AS vs Male AS chart, not Female Aspies vs Female NTs chart (or comparison with baseline of Female NTs...whatever). It seems you are the one who missed the whole point of it.

Honestly, this chart sounds to me more of general differences between Male humans and Female humans more than anything else.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 11:23 am

I think it's absolutely absurd, given neurological differences and layered atop them vastly different socializations,
to apply male-derived criteria to both sexes and then conclude a syndrome a "male" syndrome when -shocker- more males fit it than females.
Had it not been for the female-specific criteria, and me being lucky enough to find a psychologist who had them,
I'd still be being drug from place to place, being put on medication for depression, bipolar, etc.

Someone who, by the way, thinks that list describes a "milder" and "easier" condition to live with has never read over it and remembered numerous hellacious, embarrassing, and emotionally-damaging incidents for each and every criterion.

to his Interest."

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 11:25 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Honestly, this chart sounds to me more of general differences between Male humans and Female humans more than anything else.

Right.

Which is more than the standard criteria acknowledges.

to his Interest."

pastafarian
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 4:33 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I didn't miss anything and no it was not a joke - however it was more of a satire because this chart is stupid.

The chart's title is obvious "Summery of main Female/Male differences" , so it's a Female AS vs Male AS chart, not Female Aspies vs Female NTs chart (or comparison with baseline of Female NTs...whatever). It seems you are the one who missed the whole point of it.

You are right I did TOTALLY miss the point. What an *a*r*s*e*. I'm really sorry - I didn't read it properly.

I reacted cos your satire sounded so unsympathetic to females with AS and I genuinely didn't get why. Seems you weren't intending that - its my NT brain.

It is the chart you are knocking, and not females with AS. Again, I'm sorry I misunderstood you.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 4:35 pm

pastafarian wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

You are right I did TOTALLY miss the point. What an *a*r*s*e*. I'm really sorry - I didn't read it properly.

I reacted cos your satire sounded so unsympathetic to females with AS and I genuinely didn't get why. Seems you weren't intending that - its my NT brain.

It is the chart you are knocking, and not females with AS. Again, I'm sorry I misunderstood you.

There's only one way to forgive your sin.

Marry me, and let me move to London.

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 5:13 pm

The chart describes me accurately except for the shopping bit. I love shopping, and will go shopping with friends. I do think it is a special interest though, at least in my case.

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2011, 6:16 pm

[quote="ValentineWiggin"]

Had it not been for the female-specific criteria, and me being lucky enough to find a psychologist who had them,
I'd still be being drug from place to place, being put on medication for depression, bipolar, etc.

Seeing as how I have yet to be evaluated, would you suggest that I bring along some sort of female-specific criteria to my appointment, in case the doctor doesn't have a whole lot of experience with females on the spectrum? Or do you think they would somehow take offense to that?

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 8:29 pm

dobrolvr wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

Seeing as how I have yet to be evaluated, would you suggest that I bring along some sort of female-specific criteria to my appointment, in case the doctor doesn't have a whole lot of experience with females on the spectrum? Or do you think they would somehow take offense to that?

(Warning: Strong Cynicism Ahead)

I would say this about anyone seeking a diagnosis, male or female, for AS or something else:
in my experience, and from what I read of others' experiences, most shrinks will unfortunately bristle if a patient comes in with any pre-conceived notions about what they have, let alone an in-hand printout with a symptom-by-symptom checklist.

I wish I had advice about what to do- the only thing I've been able to think of is for dx-ed Aspie women to put together a resource list of psychiatrists/psychologists who are well-informed about AS, and females with AS, which to my knowledge hasn't happened yet.

I plan to go into the field, and the dearth of ASD diagnoses among women and girls is the issue I plan to focus on-
hopefully, I won't be alone in that endeavor.

to his Interest."

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2011, 11:14 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
dobrolvr wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

(Warning: Strong Cynicism Ahead)

I would say this about anyone seeking a diagnosis, male or female, for AS or something else:
in my experience, and from what I read of others' experiences, most shrinks will unfortunately bristle if a patient comes in with any pre-conceived notions about what they have, let alone an in-hand printout with a symptom-by-symptom checklist.

I wish I had advice about what to do- the only thing I've been able to think of is for dx-ed Aspie women to put together a resource list of psychiatrists/psychologists who are well-informed about AS, and females with AS, which to my knowledge hasn't happened yet.

I plan to go into the field, and the dearth of ASD diagnoses among women and girls is the issue I plan to focus on-
hopefully, I won't be alone in that endeavor.

Okay, thanks. Well, I wish you luck! :)

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 11:23 pm

So many people on here talk about how amazing those charts are and how much they relate.

Personally, I relate more to the "male" criteria than the "female criteria".

When I got my diagnosis, it had been with us suggesting Asperger's, but not trying to force it.

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2011, 11:56 pm

Tuttle wrote:
So many people on here talk about how amazing those charts are and how much they relate.

Personally, I relate more to the "male" criteria than the "female criteria".

When I got my diagnosis, it had been with us suggesting Asperger's, but not trying to force it.

Yeah, I'm not really sure where to draw that line. I don't want to push too hard in the direction of AS, yet I know that's what fits for me. I thought about taking in a list of traits I have that may be related to AS, but I'm not sure if that's overkill or not. I still have a couple months before my appointment to decide though. :)