Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SkipNip
Raven
Raven

25 Nov 2011, 5:51 pm

Does everyone with autism have an abnormal gait? I've been told I walk like a penguin on steroids. Years ago before I was diagnosed my father was criticising me and said I intentionally walk like frankenstein to scare people lol.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 5:54 pm

Yes, I walk funny. People always give me odd looks when they see me walk. I try to pay attention to walking and try to walk normally, but I just can't seem to do it. :?

SkipNip
Raven
Raven

25 Nov 2011, 5:58 pm

Yeah the same thing happens me with talking. I realize my tone, pronunciation and volume are abnormal so I start concentrating on it to try and adjust it and make it normal but that backfires on me and I start talking even more abnormally.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 6:03 pm

I have a plodding walk, not graceful at all. Plus, I stare at the ground. I think "penguin like" is a very apt description.

Imaginate
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Nov 2011, 6:07 pm

Yes. I used to get made fun of in school for it. If you look at the bottoms of my shoes, on the left foot the tread will be completely worn off, and on the other the tread is like new.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 6:10 pm

Imaginate wrote:
I used to get made fun of in school for it.

Same for me.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 6:28 pm

Yes, people tell me since being a child I am walking like my "legs have been hang up the other way round". In the beginning I really didn't knew what they meant, but around the age of 25 I realized, that there must have been something wrong with my way of walking. So I started to train myself on it by watching videos of how people walk: It seemed that I didn't cross my legs at all. So now when I am walking, I always have this voice inside me: "cross, cross, cross...".
But know I stumble many more times.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Last edited by Eloa on 25 Nov 2011, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RW665
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 6:28 pm

My grandma always told me that I didn't walk right.

One thing that bothers me is that I always feel off-balance when I'm walking and it feels like I have trouble walking in a staright line. I don't know if it's noticeable to others or not. Does this happen to anyone else?

Morbid Malign's askblog: http://askmorbidmalign.tumblr.com/

Dae
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2011, 7:26 pm

I don't think I walk 'funny' but I have noticed I've got at least 3 distinctive walks. Also, in some cases, my walk depends on what shoes I'm wearing. I've got a great! walk when I'm wearing my cowboy boots. I've got an 'about-to-kick-your-*ss' walk when I wear my lightweight, combat-like black 'boots' (at least, that's the facial reaction I see on others' faces while I'm approaching them...usually have to give some 'soft' verbals for them to understand I'm not looking for a fight). And, I'm at my most 'anonymous' when I'm in moccasins. I've sometimes wondered if what I'm wearing (esp. the footwear) affects to how I 'present' and/or am 'perceived' anytime I'm walking.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 7:32 pm

I hope not.

Frances

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 7:42 pm

no one has ever told me i walk funny, although i tend to do unusual postures when i sit, from slumping to chin in hand to getting entirely up on a chair.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 7:46 pm

I walk with my weight forward and I don't like to bend my knees, and my mom says I throw my feet out. The PT was trying to figure out what was up with my gait... as it turns out, some of it's from autism and some is from pain due to arthritis.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 8:10 pm

My gait is very slow and almost like a limp. My running is also odd, to the point where I have been teased for it.

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 8:36 pm

I got used to walking quietly but still have a tendency to shift my weight forward when standing still. It draws occasional comments, but I see no problem in walking quickly and silently because it avoids the extra attention from walking noisily. I still have to work on left-right coordination, especially for my arms.

Trainbuff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Nov 2011, 8:45 pm

Yes, according to NTs I walk funny. I heard people mention it a couple of times when I was in School. Now that I work I don't hear people mentioned it, I guess as NTs get older stupid ish like that gets ignored, thank goodness.

leviathans
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Nov 2011, 8:47 pm