Do Intelligent People Automatically Fall on the Spectrum?

Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

idlewild
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2011, 1:27 pm

I'm trying to decide if I want a diagnosis and I spoke to a friend in who's worked in HR for many yearsfor advice. Apart from the professional input she gave me, she told me she has a sister that works in special education who told her that almost anyone with higher than average intelligence falls on the autistic spectrum.

Do you think this is true?

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 1:28 pm

I have no idea but it would be very interesting to know. It's something I've wondered about.

whitemissacacia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2011, 1:29 pm

Nope. Aspies can have average intelligence. Besides, you can't just fall on the spectrum. You're born this way.

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 1:33 pm

O_O

Not at all.

I do think every genius has some traits of ASD, though.

But there are many people with high IQs who have no autistic traits whatsoever.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 1:35 pm

No.

idlewild
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2011, 1:37 pm

I don't think it's true either. There are plenty of people with high IQ's who have exceptional NT skills.

claudia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2011, 1:39 pm

I think it's related to a kind of intelligence, not to intelligence of all kinds.
Lacking of social skills, Aspies have to use logic thinking because it's the only way they have to understand the world.
I don't know if I'm an Aspie, but this is the way I solve problems.
Other kind of intelligence exist, some NT can understand other people's true feelings or know that something is OK or wrong without logic. This is another kind of intelligence that Aspies don't have and it's not measurable. It allows to solve personal problems but not to generalize solutions.
Logic thinking instead is related to scientific fields and solves problems universally, so it is useful for everyone else.

Last edited by claudia on 26 Nov 2011, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 1:39 pm

It's not true.

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 1:42 pm

claudia wrote:
I think it's related to a kind of intelligence, not to intelligence of all kinds.
Lacking of social skills, Aspies have to use logic thinking because it's the only way they have to understand the world.
I don't know if I'm an Aspie, but this is the way I solve problems.
Other kind of intelligence exist, some NT can understand other people's true feelings or know that something is OK or wrong without logic. This is another kind of intelligence that Aspies don't have and it's not measurable.

IA.

I would say that most geniuses do in fact have an autistic type of intelligence and may not fall anywhere on the spectrum but have traits of ASD and usually have intelligence that isn't all that well-rounded.

BUT, there are different kinds of intelligence.

There are gifted people with intelligence that's more well-rounded and these people are less likely to possess traits of ASD IMO, I've met many of them.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 1:42 pm

Fnord!! !! !!

Frances

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 1:47 pm

idlewild wrote:
I'm trying to decide if I want a diagnosis and I spoke to a friend in who's worked in HR for many yearsfor advice. Apart from the professional input she gave me, she told me she has a sister that works in special education who told her that almost anyone with higher than average intelligence falls on the autistic spectrum.

Do you think this is true?

I'm going to nitpick here, but technically wouldn't approximately half of the people in the world have higher than average intelligence? So wouldn't that mean that half of the people in the world would be autistic?

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

idlewild
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2011, 1:55 pm

Ganondox wrote:

I'm going to nitpick here, but technically wouldn't approximately half of the people in the world have higher than average intelligence? So wouldn't that mean that half of the people in the world would be autistic?

Good point. That is obviously not the case.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 1:58 pm

No. NTs can be brainy and gifted as much as Aspies can be average. Though I believe high intelligence usually comes with its quirks, that's not to say it's automatically autism. I have plenty of gifted people in my family who are DEFINITELY NOT autistic.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 2:00 pm

If we are talking about people with an IQ > 130, probably yes.

Social impairment - if you are interesting in issues that probably only 2% of the population is interested, much probably you will have social difficulties.

Narrow interests - a more complex question; if anything, it is expectable that intelligent people will be interested in MORE things than "normal" people, then, in this point, high intelligence should be associated with being less autistic. However, I have the impression that, many times, "narrow interests" are defined in a very "broad" way - if your interests interfere with social interaction or daily duties, you have "narrow interests" (even if you are interested simultaneously in science, history, animal life, computers, politics, psychology, urban geography and detective stories...). Then, a person who is interested in things very different from "normal" people will probably be considered as having narrow interests

Conclusion - if you are much intelligent (or, btw, much dumb - the logical is the same) you will have many autistic symptoms

DreamSofa
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2011, 2:02 pm

Quote:
almost anyone with higher than average intelligence falls on the autistic spectrum

Just what the world needs - more idiocy.

CosmicRush
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Nov 2011, 2:35 pm

I actually lately have been theorizing this! I made a post about some of this somewhere on here. I am in 99th Percentile and I have a lot of autistic traits. My teacher who is very very similar to me also thinks so! I try to make other people get interested in what I am but I can't and they care about idiotic social things. I wish we could socially theorize with other people or research or experiment. Not go to some boring movie. To me I do wish I could relate to others because it is terribly lonely. I feel like no one can even understand the concepts I talk about. I have even been correcting my teachers errors lately. I believe you can be average intelligence and fall into autism category but I also believe that being of higher intelligence will put you on the spectrum, you see most of the problems that Aspies and Autistics have seem to be how a normal human being would react to being completely alone and seperated. Now imagine if the whole world was like us? Having deep interests in real things rather than celebrities. I am POSITIVE that Neurotypical would be a diagnosis. You would be terribly looked down upon. But in this world stupid is majority. I also believe autistic people's lives get messed up early on because of their thinking differences. Think about it, your being forced into a broken school system that is made especially for stupid people to learn by means of rote memory rather than understanding. Then the teachers dont even understand their topics now. Its terrible!