Is there a connection between aspergers and left-handedness?

Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 3:28 pm

Just wondering because I'm both left handed and aspie and I have always felt like I think differently from most people. And I have heard that lefties tend to be more eccentric on average than right handed people and actually think differently.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 3:32 pm

I am a right-handed Aspie. But I know a left-handed NT who isn't really different in that way.

I read somewhere that everybody, regardless of what neurotype, has a 5 percent chance of being born left-handed. It's not really anything to do with being Aspie, NT, or other.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 3:41 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I am a right-handed Aspie. But I know a left-handed NT who isn't really different in that way.

I read somewhere that everybody, regardless of what neurotype, has a 5 percent chance of being born left-handed. It's not really anything to do with being Aspie, NT, or other.

Yeah. I'd also argue that it's not an either/or thing. I write with my left hand, but I do most things with my right, so I've never really been handicapped by being a southpaw. Really I'm a mix of both.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 3:51 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Yeah. I'd also argue that it's not an either/or thing. I write with my left hand, but I do most things with my right, so I've never really been handicapped by being a southpaw. Really I'm a mix of both.

same exact way really. Only a handful of things I do left-handed, such as writing, throwing, and eating.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 4:15 pm

I'm a right-handed Aspie male. I've never heard of any correlation between being on the spectrum and being left-handed.

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 4:50 pm

UH-HUH.

Also with dyslexia, schizophrenia, and homosexuality.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 4:50 pm

I'm lefted handed, and I can say that most of the left handed people I know act more aspie than most of the right handed people I know.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 5:46 pm

right handed here... I don't think there is a link. My mum is left handed and doesn't have an ASD.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

26 Nov 2011, 5:54 pm

Joe90 wrote:

This. I have seen no evidence to suggest that there is a correlation between autism and handedness.

Caribou
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Nov 2011, 6:03 pm

I thought I read somewhere that they are more likely to be right-handed.. but then most people are.

I'm not diagnosed with anything, but I am odd and left-handed. Interestingly, both of my teachers I have right now are left handed. I noticed my math teacher first, but then my chemistry teacher made the comment of how many lefties we have in our class.. and usually you are more likely to notice when your left handed.. so I thought he was, but I kept forgetting to look and check, but sure enough he is too.

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 6:17 pm

Right handed!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 6:20 pm

I started an associated thread, "Is There a Link Between AS and Handedness?". Please click on the link and take the poll. Thank you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2011, 6:26 pm

DS is left handed and has an official diagnosis of AS - I have often wondered if there is a link.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

26 Nov 2011, 7:04 pm

Joe90 wrote:

I've actually researched this:

This study indicates that autistic people may be less likely to be right-handed:

Quote:
The present study reports preliminary data from two unselected samples of carefully diagnosed autistic subjects (children and adults) and an assessment procedure that includes a large sample of items, appropriate for lowerfunctioning autistic subjects, with multiple presentations within and between sessions 1 week apart. The study seeks to determine (1) whether a raised incidence of non-right-handedness exists in these samples (2) if so, what constructs best represent this shift in the handedness distribution (i.e., phenotype and CNS substrate) and (3) whether these handedness phenotypes are associated with different levels of cognitive functioning. The results reveal a dramatic shift away from right-handedness in both autistic samples, due to a raised incidence of two phenotypes, manifest left-handedness and ambiguous handedness. The ambiguously handed, who were postulated to represent substantial bilateral CNS pathology due to early brain injury, were found to have much lower intellectual scores in one of the study samples.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 8:08 pm

I am right-handed, but I do some things the way left-handed do. But I have noticed something else: I look almost the whole time through my left eye. I do not really look to the right side and if I have to, I still use mainly my left eye. So in my vision I play a field like: [_.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 8:57 pm

Joe90 wrote:

I'd be interested in that study, that compared handedness across the spectrum.

to his Interest."