Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 11:56 am

How dare they convince everyone that the majority of music today sucks.... :evil:

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 12:35 pm

What are you talking about?

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 12:47 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
How dare they convince everyone that the majority of music today sucks.... :evil:

Pop music nowadays does in fact suck. but its all just opinions anyways, its nothing to get pissed off over. As for me, I strictly don't care for a lot of newer stuff (mostly talking bout the big top 20 stuff.) I do enjoy both old and new music, its just Im geared for rock and metal, not that into rap/hiphop/country/mainstream. (Granted all of them have SOME good songs too, but a lot of its just copying off one another nowadays.)

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Concretebadger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Nov 2011, 1:18 pm

It's another one of those generalisations, but it usually works: the popularity rarely reflects quality. There are plenty of albums I listen to that deserve to be more well-known and by the same token there's a lot of stuff that's pretty mediocre to me but is hugely successful. My personal beef is the Mercury prize: there are several good 'uns nominated, but it usually goes to the oddity I've never heard of.

The media in general annoys me though. Newspapers are biased and sensationalistic, and it's so often dumbed down and sanitised for the benefit of igorant people with no concentration span.

Back on topic, there's so much good music out there, and it's still being produced by people who care. Some reviewers get jaded and write off everything that's new, but there's still a load of gems amongst the generic nonsense. That's the way it's always been as far as I can tell.

budgenator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2011, 1:59 pm

Majority of music means Pop music which is a lowest common denominator thing, so yes music suck, always has and always will.

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 10:56 pm

The main purpose of the media is to brainwash the population. They don't tell you that because It is a way to control the mind.
Most of the time the media will program your mind to like the popular music of the time. Internet can be media too so I see your point.
You really should form your own opinions. I like I like. I don't care what year it was made in. I will listen to music from the 1930's followed by music that was released last Tuesday.

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 11:06 pm

every generation...

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

ictus75
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Nov 2011, 11:46 pm

"That rock 'n' roll will never last…"

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 3:00 am

sacrip wrote:
What are you talking about?

Well popular music of today really does kinda suck, but the 'popular' music is not actually the majority of todays music but many people have the misconcpetion that if its on MTV it reflects the majority of music out today.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 3:02 am

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Pop music nowadays does in fact suck. but its all just opinions anyways, its nothing to get pissed off over. As for me, I strictly don't care for a lot of newer stuff (mostly talking bout the big top 20 stuff.) I do enjoy both old and new music, its just Im geared for rock and metal, not that into rap/hiphop/country/mainstream. (Granted all of them have SOME good songs too, but a lot of its just copying off one another nowadays.)

Well what I am trying to get at is the pop music does not represent the majority of music.......I mean there are newer psychedelic rock bands, quite a few good rock bands and hoards of good metal.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 3:03 am

budgenator wrote:
Majority of music means Pop music which is a lowest common denominator thing, so yes music suck, always has and always will.

Pop music wishes it was the majority of music, but its not.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 3:04 am

ictus75 wrote:

Well so far Rock still exists, Metal that was created in the 60's still exists there are just more styles of it now days, and even psychedelic rock is still alive. Its a matter of knowing where to look.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 8:05 am

Actually I think I convinced myself that the majority of today's music sucks, when I couldn't find any that I like lol (or I should say, such an incredibly small amount that I truly enjoy). Of course I think this is largely due to my personal tastes in music (I can't stand the metal/psychedelic rock that you mentioned although I do like some forms of rock a little such as folk), but the current environment in the music industry does play a huge role as well. Someone prove me wrong, because I could use some new music to add to my collection :D

rocklobster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2011, 9:20 am

I'm more a fan of alternative rock or Christian. Pop wore out its welcome with the influx of boy bands in the 90's

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 11:27 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
ictus75 wrote:

Well so far Rock still exists, Metal that was created in the 60's still exists there are just more styles of it now days, and even psychedelic rock is still alive. Its a matter of knowing where to look.

Too right, metal is still going strong and it's just a question of looking in the right places for bands that wouldn't be heard in the charts.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 12:06 am

LexingtonDeville wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ictus75 wrote:

Too right, metal is still going strong and it's just a question of looking in the right places for bands that wouldn't be heard in the charts.

Exactly. I actually have a tendency to go onto a wikipedia or band-aggragation site and go to their categorization by genre/sub-genre. Ill then just randomly pick and choose bands to listen to a few track from. It is actually how ive stumbled upon the awesomeness of Arcturus (Avant-garde metal XD , but I love it.)

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/