the need to be shown a rule in many different contexts

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Merculangelo
Toucan
Toucan

01 Dec 2011, 1:06 am

Is the need to be shown a specific pattern or rule or procedure in many different contexts in order to remember it an ASD trait?

I recall this being addressed in Temple Grandin's books. But then you have people who memorize large amounts of seemingly arbitrary raw facts without any apparent context.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 1:17 am

I memorize things better if there is a logical pattern, but brutal repetion also works.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 1:17 am

Absolutely! It is most definitely an Autistic trait. Memorizing arbitrary facts is very different, because it is arbitrary.

The fact that certain rules apply in many different contexts seems arbitrary to us, because each context seems unrelated to us, but to the NT mind, they aren't arbitrary at all. In fact Autistics tend to refer to the various contexts as "confusing rules" because we may not see the relationship between one context and another. NT's don't have so much of a problem seeing the relationships.

The basic difference between the arbitrary fact Autistics "collect" and the seemingly arbitrary contexts within which certain rules apply, is that the collected facts are not social rules. The seemingly arbitrary contexts, are social contexts, not rote facts. They're much harder to process.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 10:52 am

Yeah. I have this problem. If my Mum told me not to say something rude in public I would say it in the house and then she would get angry. I would be thinking 'What? But I'm not in public!'

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 12:38 pm

Jellybean wrote:
Yeah. I have this problem. If my Mum told me not to say something rude in public I would say it in the house and then she would get angry. I would be thinking 'What? But I'm not in public!'

Oh that's what the OP is talking about. That's more due to being literal. Yeah I have the same problem too.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

01 Dec 2011, 12:51 pm

Yes! This statement describes me. I guess maybe not so much nowadays as when I was a kid, but I think you guys get the point.