Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Have you ever been excluded from a club because of your autism/Aspergers?
Yes, and it's lousy 20%  20%  [ 5 ]
Yes, and I don't care 24%  24%  [ 6 ]
No 56%  56%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 25

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 11:24 am

Ai_Ling wrote:
I think the way NTs look at people with disabilities they are doing charity for. They see us as subordinate human beings. They dont think they could look at us as equals to them. They do the charity to get "points" there community so other NTs will think highly of them and think there such generous human beings. A lot of them dont really have there heart in with the cause.

Its like, "oh you poor thing, can I help you"
vs. wanting to truly associate with you and get to know you and treat you as an equal

Its something that makes the NTs feel good about themselves cause there so damn generous.

+1
- especially the " points".
I cringe to think of ever being involved with sorority people.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 2:32 pm

jackbus01 wrote:
Ai_Ling wrote:
I think the way NTs look at people with disabilities they are doing charity for. They see us as subordinate human beings. They dont think they could look at us as equals to them. They do the charity to get "points" there community so other NTs will think highly of them and think there such generous human beings. A lot of them dont really have there heart in with the cause.

vs. wanting to truly associate with you and get to know you and treat you as an equal

Its something that makes the NTs feel good about themselves cause there so damn generous.

That is so true. It this case "Autism Awareness" was just a random "good cause". I also agree that sororities/fraternities cater to very extroverted people. Extroverted persons are at a disadvantage because they seek many superficial relationships and are more interested in scoring social "points" instead of thinking deeply about an issue. There is great irony about an organization not accepting an AS person while at the same time pursuing "Autism Awareness".
+1... but where do we go from here? hwo do we make people understand? how do we ask people to accept us without feeling as if they have to through charity?

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 4:26 pm

I'm not usually one for activism, but this just pissed me off to no end.

How exactly does this sorority "support" Autism? Is there anything public about their support? Do they just take collections of some kind, and give them to a charity? (Autism Speaks? *gag*)

If I were you, I would be looking to PUBLISH their hypocrisy in some way. School newspaper? Local paper? TV station? Whatever you can think of. If there is anything I hate in this world, it's hypocrisy, especially the hypocrisy of people who claim to support the disabled, but treat them as if they have the creeping crud.

They deserve public embarrassment and humiliation. What they did is nothing less than a subtle form of bullying, called EXCLUSION.

Why I would make a big deal of this is because you know those girls are all going to move on from college and enjoy a wonderful career in something, probably continuing to behave just as they did with you, only some of them may actually hold positions of power over others.

EM-BARE-ASS THIER ASSES! :twisted:

Give them a public record that will follow them wherever they go!

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 4:34 pm

MrXxx wrote:
I'm not usually one for activism, but this just pissed me off to no end.

How exactly does this sorority "support" Autism? Is there anything public about their support? Do they just take collections of some kind, and give them to a charity? (Autism Speaks? *gag*)

If I were you, I would be looking to PUBLISH their hypocrisy in some way. School newspaper? Local paper? TV station? Whatever you can think of. If there is anything I hate in this world, it's hypocrisy, especially the hypocrisy of people who claim to support the disabled, but treat them as if they have the creeping crud.

They deserve public embarrassment and humiliation. What they did is nothing less than a subtle form of bullying, called EXCLUSION.

Why I would make a big deal of this is because you know those girls are all going to move on from college and enjoy a wonderful career in something, probably continuing to behave just as they did with you, only some of them may actually hold positions of power over others.

EM-BARE-ASS THIER ASSES! :twisted:

Give them a public record that will follow them wherever they go!
+1 ok i think this actually answers the where do we go from here question pretty well.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

06 Dec 2011, 12:49 am

Ai_Ling wrote:

I wish that this wasn't how many NT's view disabled people. Sadly, I can't help but feel that this is the truth.

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 6:22 pm

Hmm. When my son got diagnosed with Autism my mother's group told me they knew a woman w/AS in our group. Later I got diagnosed w/ AS and they kicked her out. My son and I have immunodeficiency and I disclosed that. Instead of being supportive they kicked me out b/c I did not attend a meeting(my son had strep throat which I told them). I'd been a member in good standing for over 2 yrs. The other woman w/AS and I are friends and both of us were kicked out within 2 months of each other b/c they were "weeding out the chaf" It hurt a lot and I soon came down w/pneumonia. After I recovered a few months later I started taking my first antidepressant.

I fully agree people tend to think of disabled as in a category that is subhuman.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 7:22 pm

Yup. That's about the size of it. A cause. NOT people who are, in some or many ways, like them.

That would be... uncomfortable.

Humiliating them is... desirable. Something I think many of us lust after. Wrathfully.

I am guilty as charged.

I am also aware that both lust and wrath are among the seven deadly sins. I'm no Catholic (I'm not even Christian, by a middling strict definition); however, I'm philosophical enough to have thought that those seven sins are considered "deadly" for a very valid reason.

It's understandable to WANT to humiliate them. It is neither OK, nor is it intelligent, to actually go and DO it.

Look at some of my angrier posts-- and the responses-- here, in what amounts to one of our "safe houses." They ruffle quite a little handful of feathers.

Humiliating them is only going to make them more hostile, less receptive, and less likely to be able to find the capacity to understand.

Someone somewhere wrote a paper, meant to be consciousness-raising but in my opinion very humorously titled something along the lines of, "The Social and Cognitive Deficiencies of Neurotypicals." They have, from my point of view, quite a few of them. Within the limitations of which the highest-functioning among us MUST work if we ever hope to get anywhere.

Hell, sometimes (oftentimes??) I think that they have that superioristic, self-righteous point of view (that a lot of them would be shocked-- genuinely-- if you called them out on it) because they SEE the similarities, and they SEE their own failure to connect or relate or understand, and they use seeing us as lesser because it soothes the shame that what they see makes them feel.

Sometimes, I think it's really nice to be partially emotionally dead, driven by morality and logic rather than emotion and all these stupid social constructs NTs prize so highly.

Too bad that's only when I'm alone with my fellow members of the Neurologically Atypical Bumpkin Club, the Urban Mental Health Patients' Association, and/or my notebook/ computer/ the highway/ a nice blank wall.

*looks for desired emoticon*

*fails*

Why does WrongPlanet, of all places, NOT have the upside-down smiley????

Note on usage of "us/them" terminology: I'll talk about false dichotomies another time. I acknowledge that it is one, as most dualisms are. It's still a really convenient linguistic device (and a more accurate one than I'd like).

Last edited by BuyerBeware on 13 Dec 2011, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 8:02 pm

The Junior League raises money for low income women and children all the time and puts on functions where all the proceeds go to them, etc. You would never, ever see a woman in the Junior League inviting a low income woman to her house for coffee, or a party, or anything else except as her maid.

Just because someone wants to help you doesn't mean they want to be around you. They like the idea of certain people, but not the actual people themselves.

It's just hypocrisy.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com